Clonezilla question

johnkubik

Just got an 850 EVO to replace my 830... I dont want to have to reinstall windows, so I want to clone the 830 OS to the 850... is there any performance hit I would take by doing so? I am running windows 10 and am not sure if it does some sort of hardware assessment / performance configuration that would adversely affect it when put on the new SSD. (like for some reason some drive is installed for the 830 and is used for the 850 as well and is slower for some reason).

Thanks!

Just got an 850 EVO to replace my 830... I dont want to have to reinstall windows, so I want to clone the 830 OS to the 850... is there any performance hit I would take by doing so? I am running windows 10 and am not sure if it does some sort of hardware assessment / performance configuration that would adversely affect it when put on the new SSD. (like for some reason some drive is installed for the 830 and is used for the 850 as well and is slower for some reason).

Thanks!

There shouldn't be any adverse performance. SSDs do garbage collection while idle. Once you get it copied over, you can let Windows' execute the TRIM command on the SSD: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8615-optimize-drives-defrag-hdd-trim-ssd-windows-8-a.html

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

There shouldn't be any adverse performance. SSDs do garbage collection while idle. Once you get it copied over, you can let Windows' execute the TRIM command on the SSD: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8615-optimize-drives-defrag-hdd-trim-ssd-windows-8-a.html

It is a little more complicated because of the AHCI drivers installed by windows when you are initially installing the operating system.

If I had more motivation I would do some benchmarks... ;p

It is a little more complicated because of the AHCI drivers installed by windows when you are initially installing the operating system.

If I had more motivation I would do some benchmarks... ;p

If you had AHCI enabled before it shouldn't matter.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.