What do you fold for?

I fold for anything right now. Might start folding for cancer though just because I feel like it might be a good thing to do since my uncle has been having a hell of a time.

I lost my grandpa almost 6 years ago to lung cancer. :( I know them feels, man.

WRONG. I dare you to try folding on a first-gen Pentium or anything older. Assuming you even got XP to run on one of those, the OS would be hogging up like 90% of the CPU. :P

Imagine running linux just command line and running smp folding like that. It might get 1-3 k ppd at most but still..

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Can't get F@H to run on my 2012 Macbook Pro, but I could get Boinc working, so I started working on Rosetta@Home. It's a long, slow process... but it's a step in the right direction. I chose "any" though. 

im a smoker so i fold for cancer. xD maybe my PC will save me from myself in the future.

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

I had been folding for anything, but after hearing your stories I'm switching over to cancer, because my Grandfather had a real close call with colon cancer, but he is wayyy better now, sorry to everyone who wasn't as fortunate as I was. Best wishes to you all ^_^

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

Before I stopped I folded for "any"

Now if I was to start again I'd fold for Cancer because I recently just lost my Grandad :(

Same.

And my dad had kidney cancer and his brother (my uncle) is currently battling lung cancer. :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I fold for science!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

A poker game that I am going to lose.

/jk

If I do start folding, which I plan to in the near future it will be for Cancer and Heart Disease, two things that I have lost family members to.

I would fold for cancer cause personal reasons.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Anything...plus if my room gets cold ;) Wack the rig on full blast for 20 minutes- much better than waiting for the boiler to kick in, and I don't pay electricity. But I have no preference, they are all good causes. 

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Well... I crunch for World Community Grid's Mapping Cancer Markings (I'm about 20 days from getting my 5y medal). I guess that technically means I'm folding for cancer?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

While I ACTUALLY fold on my clients for "any" for the purposes of maximizing PPD, I got INTO folding to support cancer research. Not only due to the family I have battling this illness, but due to one defining moment in my life.

I was never what you would call a sociable person, even as far back as elementary school. I had very few friends, and those who I did consider my friends were a little awkward in and of themselves. I went to private school for the first few years of my educational life (from pre-K through about 4th grade), and only could genuinely call about 4 people my friends during that time.

The first such friend I ever made in school is the reason I fold. He was my best bud in Kindergarten and first grade, and I never quite understood why he didn't go onto 1st grade witht he rest of our group way back when, as many kids were split up between classes since they sorta shuffled everyone around between 3 teachers from grade to grade, until I asked and was told it was due to "excessive absences"....since his family lives close to where I did, I visited and clearly remember NOT getting a straight answer, which the young me found odd-- prompting their aunt and uncle (4-5 houses down from me at the time) to engage my parents while I wasn't around.

After they figured out an "appropriate way" to tell me, it was disclosed that he in fact had leukemia since birth and has lately not been faring too well between treatments. Due to the upbeat nature of said talk, I felt it was something that could be overcome like any flu or illness I had experienced, and kept in contact with him, even with the frequent absences. He stopped coming to school one day and I continuously told the teachers to keep me updated (since the way they articulated his absences were due to him staying at home to get better (as much I understood helped us children get better from anything quickly without the burden of homework to bog us down).

Everyone all of the sudden started redirecting my inquiries around the end of 1st grade, and all of the kids seemed to have taken to that too, as if they had been programmed to disarm any conversation about him. Around the time summer rolled around in 1996, I had left all school-related thoughts behind and allowed the summer to take me by force...and all the SEGA Genesis playing I could ever desire... until his aunt and uncle came over one day (which was extremely uncharacteristic of them, though how nearby they did happen to live).

That evening, my parents did something really hard. As we still had the same dog we always have had since they were married, all things were essentially "simple" for me in their minds...having not had a more "secure setting" to introduce certain concepts to me...they attempted to articulate the permanence and meaning of death.

I rubbed it off as any child would. I knew what it meant, but I had no strategies, nor set way of dealing with it or it's repercussions. If anything, the undue attention by counselors made it seem like I SHOULD think something catastrophic had happened and I should somehow BE worried. Before anyone could appraise the way a child would take the death of their first "best" friend, I had already made peace with myself, as though I had acknowledged the inevitability of his condition, especially with pediatric technology where it was back then.

So, when you ask me why I for for... I fold for a 7 year-old named Jeremy Davis.

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

My grandmother has cancer so that's what I'm folding for.

I am folding for science because progress and knowledge is awesome. 

While I ACTUALLY fold on my clients for "any" for the purposes of maximizing PPD, I got INTO folding to support cancer research. Not only due to the family I have battling this illness, but due to one defining moment in my life.

I was never what you would call a sociable person, even as far back as elementary school. I had very few friends, and those who I did consider my friends were a little awkward in and of themselves. I went to private school for the first few years of my educational life (from pre-K through about 4th grade), and only could genuinely call about 4 people my friends during that time.

The first such friend I ever made in school is the reason I fold. He was my best bud in Kindergarten and first grade, and I never quite understood why he didn't go onto 1st grade witht he rest of our group way back when, as many kids were split up between classes since they sorta shuffled everyone around between 3 teachers from grade to grade, until I asked and was told it was due to "excessive absences"....since his family lives close to where I did, I visited and clearly remember NOT getting a straight answer, which the young me found odd-- prompting their aunt and uncle (4-5 houses down from me at the time) to engage my parents while I wasn't around.

After they figured out an "appropriate way" to tell me, it was disclosed that he in fact had leukemia since birth and has lately not been faring too well between treatments. Due to the upbeat nature of said talk, I felt it was something that could be overcome like any flu or illness I had experienced, and kept in contact with him, even with the frequent absences. He stopped coming to school one day and I continuously told the teachers to keep me updated (since the way they articulated his absences were due to him staying at home to get better (as much I understood helped us children get better from anything quickly without the burden of homework to bog us down).

Everyone all of the sudden started redirecting my inquiries around the end of 1st grade, and all of the kids seemed to have taken to that too, as if they had been programmed to disarm any conversation about him. Around the time summer rolled around in 1996, I had left all school-related thoughts behind and allowed the summer to take me by force...and all the SEGA Genesis playing I could ever desire... until his aunt and uncle came over one day (which was extremely uncharacteristic of them, though how nearby they did happen to live).

That evening, my parents did something really hard. As we still had the same dog we always have had since they were married, all things were essentially "simple" for me in their minds...having not had a more "secure setting" to introduce certain concepts to me...they attempted to articulate the permanence and meaning of death.

I rubbed it off as any child would. I knew what it meant, but I had no strategies, nor set way of dealing with it or it's repercussions. If anything, the undue attention by counselors made it seem like I SHOULD think something catastrophic had happened and I should somehow BE worried. Before anyone could appraise the way a child would take the death of their first "best" friend, I had already made peace with myself, as though I had acknowledged the inevitability of his condition, especially with pediatric technology where it was back then.

So, when you ask me why I for for... I fold for a 7 year-old named Jeremy Davis.

thats a really sad story? i dont understand the bit about the dog?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I fold for any, as long as it helps find a cure.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

I guess I'm extremely lucky to say that only two people in my extended family have been effected by cancer and none for the other three - as far as I'm aware.

I fold for anything because it feels as though that will do the most good overall.

Sig under construction.

thats a really sad story? i dont understand the bit about the dog?

Traditionally, most children (at least in my experience) usually deal with death for the first time due to the death of a pet or elderly family member, not a peer. While other children related with me using stories about pets that passed, I had only my friend to reference this experience from at the time.

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC