Looking for a second opinion

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new pc build and I'm looking for a second opinion about it.

Asus Maximus VII Impact
Intel i5-4460
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX
be quiet! Pure Power L8 modular - 530W

I'm already owning;
Sandisk 128GB
1TB HDD
Asus GTX 760

Edit: Corsair H60

As you can see i'm going for a small formfactor. It's ment for some gaming, i'm like a regular gamer... but also some schoolwork like programming and designing (Visual Studio, Netbeans, Altium...).
So what do you guys think? 

Thanks in advance!
I'm from Belgium in case u need that info.

The motherboard seems pretty expensive... I'd look for a cheaper one. Besides that, you're fine

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Asus Maximus VII Impact and Intel i5-4460? Why? Are you planning on getting an i7-4790K in the future? 

The motherboard seems pretty expensive... I'd look for a cheaper one. Besides that, you're fine

Okay, what do you think about replacing it with the Asus Z97I-Plus?

Asus Maximus VII Impact and Intel i5-4460? Why? Are you planning on getting an i7-4790K in the future? 

No, why? As far as I know the i5's are better for gaming. And i7's are much more expensive!

No, why? As far as I know the i5's are better for gaming. And i7's are much more expensive!

Better for gaming? Where are you getting this shit from? You have a locked CPU and you're using such an expensive mobo. You don't need to spend that much money if you have a locked CPU. 

Okay, what do you think about replacing it with the Asus Z97I-Plus?

There is no point in getting a Z97 chipset motherboard with a locked CPU. Unless you know you'll upgrade to a 4690k/4790k get a B85 mobo, it should be cheaper.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Get any cheaper H81 series mobo.

You can't overclock an locked CPU.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Okay... So you guys are saying "go hard or go home".

What about Maximus VII Impact + i5-4690K? or the Z97I-Plus + i5-4690K?

Going back to a lower chipset doesn't look right to me... Cause imo u'll have to do a new upgrade much sooner then if u get a newer chipset at the start. That's my opinion ofc, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Going back to a lower chipset doesn't look right to me... Cause imo u'll have to do a new upgrade much sooner then if u get a newer chipset at the start. That's my opinion ofc, correct me if I'm wrong :)

we're not saying go hard or go home... we're saying pair your cpu with the most logical board

there's no point in future proofing your setup

if you are planning on using the pc for 2-4 years, get the most logical board available. in your case, if you want the 4460, get an h81, b85, or h97 board

if you want to get an unlocked cpu NOW, get the z97 board

edit:

h81, b85, and h97 boards will have no negative affect on performance if you get a locked cpu

BigDay

we're not saying go hard or go home... we're saying pair your cpu with the most logical board

there's no point in future proofing your setup

if you are planning on using the pc for 2-4 years, get the most logical board available. in your case, if you want the 4460, get an h81, b85, or h97 board

if you want to get an unlocked cpu NOW, get the z97 board

edit:

h81, b85, and h97 boards will have no negative affect on performance if you get a locked cpu

Okay got it.

So as example the Impact + i5-4690K ?

What is a good example for a lower chipset? I'm a Asus fanboy, the mobo needs to have WiFi on it and ITX.

Yeah, now we're talking. Well I'll explain something: i5-4690k is around 15-20%more efficient than the 4460. It also can be overclocked, that adds another 10-15%.

If your budget allows it you might want to get it, if you believe that you need the additional performance. Remember about decent cooling, mini-itx builds can get pretty hot ^^

Maybe consider going this way:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: EVGA Stinger Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $439.98

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-27 10:50 EDT-0400

Skylake is newer gen, with newer chipset and newer technology, CPU itself is only 10$ more than the 4690k. You need to get a cooler though since it doesn't come with stock cooling. I recommend considering watercooling.

Anyway, you'd need to switch your RAM to DDR4 so that brings up additional costs. You need to specify your budget first.

Okay got it.

So as example the Impact + i5-4690K ?

What is a good example for a lower chipset? I'm a Asus fanboy, the mobo needs to have WiFi on it and ITX.

any z97 board with wifi and in iTX form will be sufficient for the i5-4690k if those are the features you wish to have

the ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC or the MSI Z97I AC would be some good choices for you if you went with a 4690k

edit:

if you want an asus board with wifi and itx, get this one:

Asus Z97I-PLUS

edit:

if you want to learn how to overclock a 4690k, read my cpu overclocking guide; link in my forum signature

BigDay

Yeah, now we're talking. Well I'll explain something: i5-4690k is around 15-20%more efficient than the 4460. It also can be overclocked, that adds another 10-15%.

If your budget allows it you might want to get it, if you believe that you need the additional performance. Remember about decent cooling, mini-itx builds can get pretty hot ^^

Skylake is newer gen, with newer chipset and newer technology, CPU itself is only 10$ more than the 4690k. You need to get a cooler though since it doesn't come with stock cooling. I recommend considering watercooling.

Anyway, you'd need to switch your RAM to DDR4 so that brings up additional costs. You need to specify your budget first.

Sorry forgot to mention; got a Corsair H60

Yeah I think i'm not going for the skylake yet. Like all new stuff the support is not yet 100%...

Sorry forgot to mention; got a Corsair H60

Great, then here are your options.

sticking to the i5-4460 and getting a cheaper b85 or h81 motherboard if you prefer to pay less

getting an i5-4690k and getting a z97 motherboard that allows overclocking (not this expensive asus though, ASRock makes decent, cheaper mobos, it was actually ASUS company a few years ago)

getting an i5-6600k, a Z170 motherboard and replacing your RAM with DDR4 sticks, technically the best option, most futureproof etc, but also most expensive.

Considering all of it, I'd get the 4690k and a good motherboard personally. The raw performance benefits of the 6600k will be around 10% anyway, not worth the money imo.

Yeah I think i'm not going for the skylake yet. Like all new stuff the support is not yet 100%...

if i were you, i would go for a skylake build. it's the newest set of cpu's. the 6600k performs very well in gaming benchmarks vs the 4790k, especially when it's overclocked

edit:

the corsair h60 is great. it would be sufficient for an overclocked 4690k or an overclocked 6600k

BigDay

Conclusion what you guys would advise;

Asus Z97I-PLUS
Intel i5-4690K
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

Sandisk 128GB
1TB HDD
Asus GTX 760

Corsair H60 CPU cooler

Is the PSU strong enough? Ofcourse i'll had some (2-3) fans on it.

i would recommend an evga gs or g2 psu instead of the one you listed

Asus Z97I-PLUS
Intel i5-4690K
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

Sandisk 128GB
1TB HDD
Asus GTX 760

Corsair H60 CPU cooler

i would recommend an evga gs or g2 series psu or a seasonic psu instead of the one you have listed

other than that, everything looks fine to me

let me know how everything goes and how far you can push your overclock with the 4690k

BigDay

Asus Z97I-PLUS

Intel i5-4690K

Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

Sandisk 128GB

1TB HDD

Asus GTX 760

Corsair H60 CPU cooler

yes, 530w or even 500w is sufficient for an overclock on the 4690k and the 760 gpu

BigDay

Asus Z97I-PLUS

Intel i5-4690K

Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB

Sandisk 128GB

1TB HDD

Asus GTX 760

Corsair H60 CPU cooler

Here you go: the motherboard features a wifi antenna that you wanted. It's also cheaper.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($41.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $506.94

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-27 11:06 EDT-0400

i would recommend an evga gs or g2 psu instead of the one you listed

i would recommend an evga gs or g2 series psu or a seasonic psu instead of the one you have listed

other than that, everything looks fine to me

let me know how everything goes and how far you can push your overclock with the 4690k

Can you tell me why you prefer those PSU's? First I was thinking about Corsair's CX or VS, but saw a lot bad reviews about those series.

Here you go: the motherboard features a wifi antenna that you wanted. It's also cheaper.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($41.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $506.94

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-27 11:06 EDT-0400

Thx for that advise, will consider!

Is there a reason u picked EVGA PSU?

Thx for that advise, will consider!

Is there a reason u picked EVGA PSU?

EVGA generally is known for making quality PSUs. Remember to get a single 8gb stick of RAM since your mobo will only have 2 slots you need to be able to upgrade to 16 easily.