WD 1TB Blue wont show up on my pc

Lavish
Go to solution Solved by Tommy59375,

Operating system please?  Have you done this before?  Let's assume you have never added an HDD to a computer ... (don't get offended!)

It is possible you haven't created a partition/volume.

Windows 7 instructions:

1) Open the start menu

2) Right click on 'computer'

3) Press 'manage'

4) On the left sidebar under 'storage' press 'disk management'

5) Your new HDD should show up in the bar chart section underneath the list

6) Right click on the unallocated volume

7) Create a new simple volume.

Video instructions (NCIX):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

So when I first built the pc in question, I got my WD 1TB blue and accidentally dropped it :/ No big deal, I RMA'd it and got a new one a few days later, the new hard drive was very hot when I took it out of its package, I was a little worried, but I installed it anyway, then I booted up my computer and to my dismay it still wasnt there, is there a chance they send me a defective drive or that It overheated in shipping? Please help.

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

Check in Bios for it

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Just out of curiosity... Did you check the BIOS or are you only checking Windows. I'm under the impression that you know about "Create and format hard disk partitions" in the search bar. If not then create your partition. If it's not in the BIOS, then all I can suggest it switching SATA cables and ports and maybe that will work.

Edit: Also, out of curiosity as well. How did you RMA a drive you dropped...?

Check in Bios.

If there is a new drive in a system windows will recognise it as "unallocated storage." Go into disk management and the drive will show up coloured black. Right click and make it a new storage device, then basically follow the steps in the disk management wizard. Hope this helped.

Operating system please?  Have you done this before?  Let's assume you have never added an HDD to a computer ... (don't get offended!)

It is possible you haven't created a partition/volume.

Windows 7 instructions:

1) Open the start menu

2) Right click on 'computer'

3) Press 'manage'

4) On the left sidebar under 'storage' press 'disk management'

5) Your new HDD should show up in the bar chart section underneath the list

6) Right click on the unallocated volume

7) Create a new simple volume.

Video instructions (NCIX):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

Just out of curiosity... Did you check the BIOS or are you only checking Windows. I'm under the impression that you know about "Create and format hard disk partitions" in the search bar. If not then create your partition. If it's not in the BIOS, then all I can suggest it switching SATA cables and ports and maybe that will work.

Edit: Also, out of curiosity as well. How did you RMA a drive you dropped...?

Nothing, didnt see it in the bois.

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Nothing, didnt see it in the bois.

You sure you have the SATA cables connected properly? 

Problem Solved, thanks

So when I first built the pc in question, I got my WD 1TB blue and accidentally dropped it :/ No big deal, I RMA'd it and got a new one a few days later, the new hard drive was very hot when I took it out of its package, I was a little worried, but I installed it anyway, then I booted up my computer and to my dismay it still wasnt there, is there a chance they send me a defective drive or that It overheated in shipping? Please help.

Hey there Lavish,

I would recommend checking the drive with WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool if you are doubting its health. Running both the quick and the extended test should give you a pretty good idea of the health of the drive, the S.M.A.R.T. status and if there are any bad sectors on the platters. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=LQ6uwP

Usually, each new drive will be recognized in BIOS but won't be seein in Windows Explorer. It needs to be initialized in Disk Management, partitioned and formatted and then assigned a letter in order to be used. :) If you ever have doubts about a new drive, always check BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management if the drive is recognized properly (model and capacity).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/