How Does AIO Cooling Typically Fail?

Go to solution Solved by Duskie,

I'd never expect a leak unless you handled it roughly, and the most likely part to fail is the pump.

Hi, I'm new here. I took a quick look through old threads in here but couldn't find anything similar to my question.

I have a Corsair H105 AiO CPU cooler. This is my first build and I'm curious about two things:

1. What is the typical lifespan of an AiO cooler?
  2. How do they typically fail?

I'm confident in my CPU cooler, but everything has a lifespan. So when my cooler reaches that point, should I expect a leak or a dead pump? Thanks in advance, let me know if my post is breaking any rules or something.

I'd never expect a leak unless you handled it roughly, and the most likely part to fail is the pump.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

its usually moving parts that fail first, in the case of a cooler: the pump.

I've heard of pumps dyeing 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Pumps die (that's mostly why I don't use them in customer builds)

Also, had someone who had a leak but turns out they were at fault but I'd not risk it and go for air cooling.

Stock coolers last much longer than these AIO coolers.

Death pump after just 6 months, CPU overheats to 99C shuts down, is unsuable for a few days. All that for freaking nothing, my new air cooler has better temps with 0 fans on it

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Which color?

jk

im a spell pro

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

I've heard of pumps dyeing 

Yeah for some reason mine turned orange

kek m8

/jk

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Which color?

jk

Omg man I always sayed dyeing when I was younging

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Hi, I'm new here. I took a quick look through old threads in here but couldn't find anything similar to my question.

I have a Corsair H105 AiO CPU cooler. This is my first build and I'm curious about two things:

1. What is the typical lifespan of an AiO cooler?
  2. How do they typically fail?

I'm confident in my CPU cooler, but everything has a lifespan. So when my cooler reaches that point, should I expect a leak or a dead pump? Thanks in advance, let me know if my post is breaking any rules or something.

They usually don't die but when they do they usually have good warranty Corsair and Cm as far as Iknow, A guy on reddid his H80 started leaking which destroyed his whole rig and Corsair covered everything and I've seen this multiple times. I've been using AIO's since 2009 or something like that and never had a problem.

Which color?

jk

Well, I guess you warned us to not take you seriously :P

It's in his signature thingy

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

My friends h100 has been serving him for 2 years I believe and is still running. He overclocked his 3770k to 4.4Ghz with it and is still standing strong. A lot of people usually recommend corsair and cooler master AIOS

You're a magician too? LOL

I'm basically in Fnatic.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

I'm basically in Fnatic.

That's what she said last night

k i'll stop goodnight

im a spell pro

Get. rekt. :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation B)  B)  B)  B)  B)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Yeah for some reason mine turned orange

kek m8

/jk

Which color?

jk

ye all hurt my feelings

I'm using a H105 currently for over 10 months now. I didn't have any issues yet.

But if something fails, then most likely the pump.

1. Several years, with a little luck.

2. Whining noises, followed by rattling, followed by pump failure. I have never seen an AiO leak.

Thanks for the quick and awesome responses guys! I think I'm going to like it here :)

Also, top kek at Textosterone and the amazing technicolor dreamcooler!

I mean the x61 doesn't have a 5 year warranty for nothing.

Aio reliability has improved dramatically over the last decade, to the point where I am the opposite of many here and see no point to air coolers. Not when I can directly exhaust heat instead of throwing it into the case.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS