Samsung Galaxy Note 5 review by Micheal Fisher of Pocketnow

Written review on Pocketnow (video review is also in there)

Galaxy-Note-5-review.jpg

At a glance, you could be forgiven for mistaking the Galaxy Note 5 for its smaller sibling the Galaxy S6 – and that’s no accident.

The Galaxy Note 5 marks the company’s second major attempt to bring its large-format phablet into the mainstream, at least in terms of aesthetics. The first came in 2012, when the Galaxy Note II supplanted its predecessor’s wide, matte chassis with a narrower casing and a shiny paint job that evoked its contemporary, the Galaxy S III. The two generations since have seen Samsung take the opposite tack, distancing the Note from its flagship siblings: the Note 3‘s stitched pleather stood in stark contrast to the Galaxy S 4’s hyperglaze plastic, while the Note 4‘s aluminum-magnesium frame looked nothing like the pock-marked “Glam” finish of the Galaxy S5.

But Samsung struck a chord with this year’s well-reviewed Galaxy S6, and it seems keen to transfer some of the plaudits to its phablet line. With slick glass-and-metal construction and a feature set nearly identical to that of its smaller sibling, some call the Note 5 a glorified “S6 with an S Pen.” Was this unification of big and small inevitable, or has Samsung sacrificed too much of the Note’s power-user cred in its quest to commoditize the king of phablets? Let’s find out.

As much as Micheal Fisher, my favorite mobile tech reviewer, loves this device, it's a no-go for me.  The fact that there's no expandable storage & no 128GB variant makes me want to stay away from this device.  With the way I use my phone (taking lots of pictures, offline videos, lots of apps and games, etc.), I'd be out of storage in no time.  At least the Galaxy S6 edge and Galaxy S6 have the 128GB variant, which I might choose if I decide to go with a Galaxy smartphone (the Galaxy S6 edge is the only Galaxy smartphone I'm thinking of choosing).  The only 2 phablets I ever liked are the Galaxy Note 3 & Note 4.  They somehow caught my eye and impressed me.

I hope Samsung will add expandable storage in the Galaxy Note 6.  If Sony, who's also using glass and aluminum body for their flagship smartphone, can add expandable storage on their devices, why can't they?

P.S. my only choice this year is the LG G4, unless Microsoft and other OEMs make high-end Windows Phones and release it in Canada.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I like his voice

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

I like his voice

LOL same.  He has this voice that just makes you wanna listen.  That's partly the reason why I love watching & listening Pocketnow Weekly.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I don't mind the lack of removable battery or expandable storage. I'm on an iPhone 4s, which has a small non-removable battery, and I manage my 16Gb of storage very conservatively. Note 5 seems like a good phone, but it's just too big for my liking. I'm excited to get the G4.

And I would watch a video about paint drying if it was narrated by Michael Fisher. He's quite captivating.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

There's also the case of inserting the S-pen in backwards and getting it permanently stuck. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/437193-samsung-fail-design-flaw-in-galaxy-note-5-s-pen-insertion/

I mean, even Leo Laporte got it stuck while fiddling it around.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

I like the Note series, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. Not even so much because of the lack of a removable battery and no memory expansion (though the second one stings), it's more the use of a glass back. Why. It's a stupid idea for every device that gets released with it! I'll never understand why they think it's a good idea.

I don't mind the lack of removable battery or expandable storage. I'm on an iPhone 4s, which has a small non-removable battery, and I manage my 16Gb of storage very conservatively. Note 5 seems like a good phone, but it's just too big for my liking. I'm excited to get the G4.

And I would watch a video about paint drying if it was narrated by Michael Fisher. He's quite captivating.

The Note is only 4mm taller than the G4...

They're virtually the same size :rolleyes:

There's also the case of inserting the S-pen in backwards and getting it permanently stuck. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/437193-samsung-fail-design-flaw-in-galaxy-note-5-s-pen-insertion/

I mean, even Leo Laporte got it stuck while fiddling it around.

Yup. So you have to watch what you do. Sort of like not burning yourself when you take something out of the oven.

I think this is seriously blown out of proportion. There are so many things in the world that you have to take care with.

And, in Samsungs defense, it says right in the manual to watch what you do and not insert it the wrong way.

People just need to learn to watch what they do.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red