A PSA to all Dogecoin users, a network test is scheduled this Sunday (30 Aug, 2015) and this October. Testnet nodes are requested.

The Dogecoin core devs are planning a network stress-test this Sunday, 30 August to measure block relay distribution along various nodes in various geographical locations among other things (like getting more insight on the debate of a bigger block size) and they have requested as many testnet nodes to participate as possible. Here's a rundown of the plan and timeline: https://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoindev/comments/3i4c0b/dogecoin_stress_test_30th_august_details_inside/ but it's important to get synced in testnet before the test is done.

If you run the core program, it's pretty easy to run it in "testnet" mode, and the guide to do that is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/3hbon4/how_to_run_a_dogecoin_testnet_node_its_easier/ (right now it's pretty quiet in testnet land so it might take a while to sync the testnet blockchain, which thankfully is only about 1GB (versus 14GB+ now on the "main" blockchain.) You might need to even manually add nodes to get it going.)

If you haven't run the core program in a while, I suggest updating to the latest 1.10 beta version here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/3h7vvx/dogecoin_core_110_beta_1/ -- this version requires a re-indexing of the current blocks on your hdd and it's safe to just install over any previous version you may already have but there's no need to sync the main blockchain if you don't want to (since it's over 14GB as mentioned.) Just follow the instructions on how to set it up as a testnet and sync it there to have it ready by Sunday. You may want to note, the 1.10 beta client disallows mining directly in-client so I don't believe the -gen options will have any effect if you want to mine "testnet coins" (yes, a real thing) with any cpu cores. 1.10 isn't a mandatory update but I suggest it anyway because it supposedly fixed a potential ddos vulnerability and improved syncing functions (for when you want to sync the main blockchain.)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

If anyone was curious, this test went well with a good number of nodes online and ~30 transactions per second were logged, devs say we can still push 30-70. A bigger test yet is planned for October but some more geographically-diverse nodes are still requested, namely from Africa.

@MrDynamicMan interested in joining the Doge train? If you're down for it, setup an address and pm me for tip coinage. If anyone else is interested in testing, no need to download the entire main blockchain from the core program, just the "testnet" chain part of it, which is only ~1GB.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν