Google could track potholes to help you avoid them down the road

Arty

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/25/9207275/google-pothole-tracking-cars-gps

Google has filed a patent for a way to track potholes across the United States, using your car's GPS navigation system and other sensors to detect damaged portions of a road, put that information into a database, and then use it to determine a less bumpy route.

Google could monitor the vibrations your car is subjected to when you rumble over a pothole, and cross reference that with GPS data — something that is standard on most cars these days. By doing this in many cars, Google could pinpoint where potholes have sprung up while also canceling out anomalies. All that data would then be used to alert drivers about damaged roads and suggest a way around them. (Hi, Google Maps.)

GOOGLE COULD POINT YOU IN A SMOOTHER DIRECTION
The more data that can be collected about potholes and road damage, the better, because the country's infrastructure is flailing and underfunded. America loses an estimated $87 billion annually in lost time and fuel thanks to overcrowded roads. Potholes play a part in this: they create traffic, cause accidents, and damage vehicles. And, as Gizmodo points out, Google has a fleet of autonomous cars that it would love to introduce to all this data.

While the idea is novel, Google is certainly not the first to attempt something like this. The city of Boston has been running a program for the last few years called Street Bump that essentially does the same thing. The local government uses the crowdsourced data to alert riders to the location of potholes, assign crews to fix them in the short term, and plan longer-term investments to revamp stretches of road. The difference here is that Street Bump is a mobile app that collects data from drivers' phones. Google's idea, should it ever come to fruition, would likely be more detailed and more reliable.

TL:DR

google wants to put potholes on google maps so your car doesn't break!

LIVING IN MICHIGAN, This would be a blessing to have.

Amazing. Very much needed in Toronto.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Hah that wouldn't work here in Quebec, it'd probably tell you to get off the road entirely and walk, I hate those nid de poules. 

The Merc S-Class scans the road in front of the car and prepares the suspension for the bumps & potholes ahead, apparently it works freakishly well. Using google maps on your phone would be a lot more affordable though.

If you set it up correctly I could see something like this being incorporated into the google maps app, accelerometer and GPS are already in phones, surely not too tricky after that. major flaw would be if you picked up your phone whilst driving tho. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

This would be a blessing to have in Pennsylvania. Our DOT is literal shit. 

This would be a blessing to have in any state

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If I was trying to avoid potholes I would never come back home.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

we dont need this in the uk. we just have one pot hole, THE WHOLE THING. drive on the roads and you will either do damage to shock absorbers, or get a puncher :(

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

@Arty @tmcclelland455 You all know you can't avoid potholes here in Michigan... My road at the stop sign is literally with so many potholes YOU WILL hit them. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I used to live in Mauritania (Africa for you people who don't know geography >.<) and the roads there were mostly sand, but the few Tarmac roads were built in like 2000 and never repaired. The road was 1 giant pothole, lol.

Good luck doing that in edmonton.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Uh, I have a feeling, that, when they start doing this in Bulgaria, after the first kilometer the cars will display a big "NOPE" message on the dashboard and automatically turn around to escape....

This might be useful in Australia, and it could also help get the bloody things sorted out.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This would be bad in NYC. It's bad enough we have to play dodge the taxi a lot of the times, imagine trying to dodge the people dodging potholes while dodging the taxi drivers.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Then this wouldn't be fun anymore... 

c0e89a2eeec0e5fe88e6f81bcf6cab6e.jpg

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Could we just put Google in charge of maintaining the roads? They'd certainly do a better job than the state DoT's do.

Also, am I the only one who can see Google becoming something like Weyland-Yutani down the road?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If Microsoft did this, the title would be

"Windows 10 tracks your location using your car's GPS"

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Could we just put Google in charge of maintaining the roads? They'd certainly do a better job than the state DoT's do.

Also, am I the only one who can see Google becoming something like Weyland-Yutani down the road?

If they do, things will go to shit and they'll be bought out by Wallmart.

PMSL

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/25/9207275/google-pothole-tracking-cars-gps

TL:DR

google wants to put potholes on google maps so your car doesn't break!

LIVING IN MICHIGAN, This would be a blessing to have.

lets put it this way, you can get a 200$ ticket here for skateboarding or swearing. yet its 100% acceptable to cross a double yellow in front of a cop to avoid potholes. yay michigan 

If they do, things will go to shit and they'll be bought out by Wallmart.

hmm who has more money? Walmart employs close to 1% of america already.

hmm who has more money? Walmart employs close to 1% of america already.

Weyland Yutani had shitloads in the movies, so yeah.......it would take a lot of fuck ups, but it could happen.

PMSL

Weyland Yutani had shitloads in the movies, so yeah.......it would take a lot of fuck ups, but it could happen.

2 people so far know the yutani part, im impressed. I really don't care who governs me, as long as they don't do a shit job about it. For science.

Weyland was big but im not sure how big. Mucher bigger than walmart and google. They did have to hide the lab in aliens 3? The one where clone ripley has a alien baby.