What is happening with current consoles?

DannyDem

Hey guys, I'm a PC gamer and a console gamer (ps4 user) and looking at how the ps4 and xone are perfoming in relation to PC's I'm afraid of what might happen to consoles in a few years. Consoles are suposed to last 7-8 years but this generation is already failing when it comes to keeping up with PC's. I mean I like my ps4 and I constantly use it but there are games like the witcher 3 (one of the only games where optimization between pc and ps4 is similiar) in which I find the perfomance ridiculous. I'm not hating on consoles or anything, I like and use consoles as I previously mentioned but I remember about 10 years ago where games actually looked better on consoles than on a gaming rig (unless you had some kind of 2000$ beast) and now you can get a setup for 800$ which obliterates consoles. 

I don't know what MS or Sony is thinking but I really hope they have some kind of plan because looking at how things are going I doubt consoles will last more than 2-3 years. Let's hope I'm wrong

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

I really hope they have some kind of plan

What plan? there is nothing they can do

that said its already been nearly 2 years, so they are like 1/2 of the way through

I imagine they will be releasing a PS5/ Xbox Two (fuck I hope they dont call it that) in say 4 years

Its tough, as time goes on they will fall further behind, even if htey make new ones, they will last even shorter times

HOWEVER Hopefuly, the next generation will be fully backwards compatible since it will be the same architecture 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes. Consoles are dying, Micro Consoles and HTPCs are moving in.

If consoles could,play at MINIMUM 1080p 60FPS with a little better setting. Obviously nothing compared to what like a GTX 970 could,do but something. They would Atleast be playable.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Personally, as much as I'd like to think console gaming is dying , look at the last gen consoles which came out in 2006 (if I remember correctly!). The PS4/X1 are miles and miles and miles ahead in terms of graphical capability compared to the PS3/Xbox 360.

And guess what...The PS3 and Xbox 360 are still around and going strong to this very day. Sure, they are graphically less capable compared to the PS4/X1/PC but due to the fact that those consoles have been out so long, the developers know how to optimize their games and squeeze every little bit of performance out of those old consoles - And this is why they can still run the latest graphic intensive games, even if they are at lower settings.

The same thing will happen with the current gen consoles. Developers will continue to further optimize their games year on year so that they run smoothly on inferior hardware.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Personally, as much as I'd like to think console gaming is dying , look at the last gen consoles which came out in 2006 (if I remember correctly!). The PS4/X1 are miles and miles and miles ahead in terms of graphical capability compared to the PS3/Xbox 360.

And guess what...The PS3 and Xbox 360 are still around and going strong to this very day. Sure, they are graphically less capable compared to the PS4/X1/PC but due to the fact that those consoles have been out so long, the developers know how to optimize their games and squeeze every little bit of performance out of those old consoles - And this is why they can still run the latest graphic intensive games, even if they are at lower settings.

The same thing will happen with the current gen consoles. Developers will continue to further optimize their games year on year so that they run smoothly on inferior hardware.

Still think going to PS4 from Ps3 / Xbox one from 360 is like going from a iphone 5 to a 5s in other words... Not enough of an upgrade IMO

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Still think going to PS4 from Ps3 / Xbox one from 360 is like going from a iphone 5 to a 5s in other words... Not enough of an upgrade IMO

I'm going to quote Sony here...They state that the PS4 is 10x more powerful compared to the PS3.

Obviously though, this doesn't mean games will run with 10x the graphical power or whatever. However, games are becoming more and more demanding and if you take a look at the PS4 compared to the PS3, there is indeed a huge leap in visuals. And, like I said earlier the PS4/X1 are still relatively new and therefore developers are still working out how to get the most performance out of these consoles.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What plan? there is nothing they can do

that said its already been nearly 2 years, so they are like 1/2 of the way through

I imagine they will be releasing a PS5/ Xbox Two (fuck I hope they dont call it that) in say 4 years

Its tough, as time goes on they will fall further behind, even if htey make new ones, they will last even shorter times

HOWEVER Hopefuly, the next generation will be fully backwards compatible since it will be the same architecture 

Still somewhat better than a PC, we get all the good exclusives, and if backwards compatibility gets implemented on all games OH it's a wrap. Microsoft did fk up though, letting Sony get the exclusive rights to COD.

Still somewhat better than a PC, we get all the good exclusives, and if backwards compatibility gets implemented on all games OH it's a wrap. Microsoft did fk up though, letting Sony get the exclusive rights to COD.

Exclusivity is NOT a PRO for anybody, 

Backwards compatibility seems limited, IE, I want to put my xbox 360 disc into an Xbox one and a ps2 disc in my ps4 - not sure how that could ever be possible

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Consoles are suposed to last 7-8 years

That's not necessarily a given. The Xbox 360 was "current" from November 2005 until November 2013, but that was one of the longest console generations ever. I doubt Microsoft truly planned to keep it around that long from it's design stages, and I doubt they're planning on the Xbone to be around that long either. Business realities determine how long the console generation is, and if they need another one in a few years they'll do it.

As long as games developers can at least deliver a really stunning E3 hype trailer, and as long as the players keep buying consoles and console games, there's not much pressure on Microsoft or Sony to improve. No matter how far behind a PC they are.

See the PS4 fighting for Life to get 30 Frames in Witcher 3, which looks way worse than the PC Version is pathetic. And the XBoxOne..good God, ridiculous.

But there are So many Casual Gamers who dont care about FPS and Graphics, inovation or demands, that Consoles will last some Years for sure. And yes, the 6 hour Exclusives are there as well.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I'm going to quote Sony here...They state that the PS4 is 10x more powerful compared to the PS3.

Obviously though, this doesn't mean games will run with 10x the graphical power or whatever. However, games are becoming more and more demanding and if you take a look at the PS4 compared to the PS3, there is indeed a huge leap in visuals. And, like I said earlier the PS4/X1 are still relatively new and therefore developers are still working out how to get the most performance out of these consoles.

I hope you are right. But its not all about the Graphics. Console Games should envolve into more demanding Games, not CoD Number 2423 for Braindead.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

if you really want to know why, this is why

he mention it with very well presentation.

The irony of these top "exclusives" is not even made exclusive for current consoles, it was remake from last gen machine.

In the future, your console will be on your pocket, you will just have to connect it to your TV.

There's not much developers can do to get more performance out of the hardware that current generation consoles have.

When the PS3 and Xbox 360 came out, there were a few PCs that were better than the consoles at the time, but now is the other way around.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

It's a free market so there are a range of solutions to the same problem. Each different approach grabs a different sub-set of the the market. Simple as that. I always think it's kinda amusing when topics like this come up and people wonder how on earth consoles can remain a thing. But then shrug their shoulders at the people going nuts about a marginally higher spec phone or tablet that's doing jack compared to what a PC can.

I like PC gaming, I like having not to pay for a subscription, I like the sales and I like the flexibility and performance. I also like Nintendo's content and their approach to this. But clearly a fair chunk of consumers feel differently. Just because I don't feel the same way about it as they do doesn't make them wrong.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

One thing that PC's don't and likely will not have this console generation will be a full fledged Halo FPS experience.... thus the reason for the X1 to exist.

One thing that PC's don't and likely will not have this console generation will be a full fledged Halo FPS experience.... thus the reason for the X1 to exist.

You mean i will miss another copy/paste shooter in 720p? :(

The problem those with PC's care to much about the inside of the console. But I think if PC had exclusives, then it we might have more PC gamers.

Neither will the Xbone as long as 343i handles the franchise the way they do.

144Hz goodness

You mean i will miss another copy/paste shooter in 720p? :(

No I mean a locked 60FPS 1080p  arena shooter.

No I mean a locked 60FPS 1080p  arena shooter.

1080p Wow... :P