whole room water cooling external rad question

hello

i tried to find if anyone else answered this question before and didnt find anything

when linus did the whole room water cooling what did he use to attach the rads together, i went to home depot near me and i couldn't find anything like it . it was metal piece/strap showed the workers what i wanted and they had no clue from the video part 3 . if anyone can link it that would be great .i know the housing was just some  2 x 4 but i just need what he used for the rad to rad connection .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Just a warning, his cooling system wasn't really effective at all...

If you really want a "whole room" water cooling system, look at something like what AntVenom did: 

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

hello

i tried to find if anyone else answered this question before and didnt find anything

when linus did the whole room water cooling what did he use to attach the rads together, i went to home depot near me and i couldn't find anything like it . it was metal piece/strap showed the workers what i wanted and they had no clue from the video part 3 . if anyone can link it that would be great .i know the housing was just some  2 x 4 but i just need what he used for the rad to rad connection .

i would suggest to use some aluminum strips but that was just strapping for doing framing like this one here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-12-in-12-Gauge-Heavy-Strap-Tie-HRS12/100375113

What are your planning to do, replicate the whole room watercooling?

making a external rad to just move my rads from inside my case out since draining it when i upgraded my cpu/MB was a f*cking nightmare . best way to explain what im trying to do is phobya rad box with the style of a MO-RA3 . going to be using probably 2-3 360mm ones and might also make it fit a 420 all depends on what i can get my hands on for the box and rads locally.

my system pisses heat so ive been wanting to do this for awhile so i can just stick the rad array in front of the window and have it blow the heat out instead of inside my room

i would suggest to use some aluminum strips but that was just strapping for doing framing like this one here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-12-in-12-Gauge-Heavy-Strap-Tie-HRS12/100375113

What are your planning to do, replicate the whole room watercooling?

and thanks for the link thats what they  used structural straps of all things

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Just a warning, his cooling system wasn't really effective at all...

If you really want a "whole room" water cooling system, look at something like what AntVenom did: 

Not true, while the computers etc remained cool the issue was that the room itself was getting heated by direct sunlight which AC would of fixed.

You can purchase rad boxes like these:

Box: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14966/ex-rad-338/Phobya_Nova_1080_External_Radiator_Box_-_Black_Powder_Coat_38282.html

As someone who has just made custom mounting for his case out of aluminium, I wish I would of just got that rad box instead.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Not true, while the computers etc remained cool the issue was that the room itself was getting heated by direct sunlight which AC would of fixed.

You can purchase rad boxes like these:

Box: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14966/ex-rad-338/Phobya_Nova_1080_External_Radiator_Box_-_Black_Powder_Coat_38282.html

As someone who has just made custom mounting for his case out of aluminium, I wish I would of just got that rad box instead.

thats why i said phobya rad box since i know they make a 1080 but frozencpu is still dead. phone orders are really fishy and perf-pcs has it for i think 80+  only the 140mm one is cheap one the  others are a ripoff  . im either going with a wood oak or pine. or the stuff metal shelving is made out of the upright part . but probably wood since im going to be having alot of extra 2x4 laying around after friday . ill juts screw the res into the side of the wood or buy the ek mount for the res locally .

yes a rad box pre-made is easier but to get it shipped here with no damage is nearly impossible usps ,ups and fedex are like who can break the most shit in a year game   . lost so much shit thanks to damage from shipping this year ,it is less hassle then to buy one  now . do you mind showing me a picture of what you made . i like to see it if its finished

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

thats why i said phobya rad box since i know they make a 1080 but frozencpu is still dead. phone orders are really fishy and perf-pcs has it for i think 80+  only the 140mm one is cheap one the  others are a ripoff  . im either going with a wood oak or pine. or the stuff metal shelving is made out of the upright part . but probably wood since im going to be having alot of extra 2x4 laying around after friday . ill juts screw the res into the side of the wood or buy the ek mount for the res locally .

yes a rad box pre-made is easier but to get it shipped here with no damage is nearly impossible usps ,ups and fedex are like who can break the most shit in a year game   . lost so much shit thanks to damage from shipping this year ,it is less hassle then to buy one  now . do you mind showing me a picture of what you made . i like to see it if its finished

I used Aluminium 2mm thick, 40mm wide, 1metre long. Cut it to size with a Jigsaw with metal cutting blade, I tried using a dremel for the most part but it was a major pain in the ass. You can get radiator templates from MNPCtech like the one pictured, it will save you a lot of time and hassle. I honestly still think ordering a rad box would be the best option and as it's metal you can just bend it back or repair it by hand etc. I still haven't finished my case mod and I've been doing it for several days...

CNH_PuaWgAADb4U.jpg

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

im going to build the same thing LTT used to made  a en closer for there rads   except im not going to make a box like they did . just a stand for it and both the sides so i can mount the rads i have . i have a mish mash of different rads 240, 360 ,(420 i havent bought this one yet  ) ,200mm rads . only 2 of them are in use atm the 200mm i got for cheap havent been able to find a fan for it with decent static pressure.    since i know making a box is better but im going to  use some bolts or dead wood screws since i have them on hand . to attack the base to the supports for the sides . so it never going to come apart . was thinking of using metal like your doing Benji_w but its more of a pain to work with but it probably would look better .

im thinking i could use those  table top sections they sell but get one that has damage to it for cheap since there like 20 bucks a square foot  at lowes or homedepot. as my stand for my rads

this is what i came up with so far . just quickly doing a rough design since someone asked

custom external Rad drawing V1

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just mentioning they do make large box style rads like those and considering the price not that much compared to a thick 360 or 420mm rad.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/phobya-xtreme-nova-1080-9-x-120mm-radiator.html#Details

i know about the 1080 rads the only one from people ive messaged to even get is the watercool one M0-RA3 line .the phobya ones lately are nearly un-usable since they need mayhems cleaner and sometimes even a second hit of it , since there just leaking gunk and excess flux .  distilled water/vinegar flush didn't work well enough from what i was told , and  mayhem cleaner ant cheap for the kit .  if for 60$ish  i can make a stand and mount  since i have nearly all the rads if i stay with 120mm ones .

also the phobya ones don't come with 3+ ports . i like a drain/bleed port for larger loops with alot of rads makes redoing loops much quicker to get all the air out . ive already gunked my block up once rather not have to deal with that headache again .

yes having one single larger rad would have probably a bit less resistance and simpler  overall. but i dont want to have to buy another rad just to have to  clean it for hours or even a day or  two for it to be usable  while probably spending money on a blitz kit to make sure its clean

i have problems in my area with the shippers which are in a game to see who can break more shit or lose it .and perf-pcs ant the most fun to deal with when a order of 500$ goes missing  with tracking . so i rather not have to get something of its size ship without issues .

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

-SNIP-

Well fair enough, if your wanting to flush out the rads easily if you hookup the rad to the tap on low and flush in both direction it gets rid of the majority of the stuff that might be in there.

Well fair enough, if your wanting to flush out the rads easily if you hookup the rad to the tap on low and flush in both direction it gets rid of the majority of the stuff that might be in there.

i didnt try that since i have silly water pressure and even barely  turned on  im afraid to blow a tube on a rad . but if 5 hours cycling hot water and other fluids thur a 10gl bucket to see what comes out in the bottom of the bucket  doesnt mean its clean its one dirty rad .

this took about 3-6 months for me to even find out only when i was changing fluids and putting new tubing im i saw the gunk that had built up in the block . wasnt leaching from my tubing or alge   it was all crap from  one rad the 200mm one i have. i should have know something was up if micro center gave it to me for free with my stuff i was buying for another pc . i did spend like 1k so whats a 40$ rad . they wanted me to take the 4 others they had when i got my x99 parts last month told them they couldn't pay me to take them  off there hands. i should have some pictures Saturday sometime

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

Was it a used rad they gave you cause that would explain a lot with the gunk and stuff.

nope brand new that was the one i did the 5hour cleaning on package still had the seal on it when i bought it. the 420 if i buy it will be a open one but havent been able to figure out if its been used probly just fill it with water and wait overnight to see if it changes color if so ill return it . but its a ek one so i might just clean it then

i wish it was a used rad but i knew useing it i may have issues but after having them there not worth the lower price since you end up spending more in the long term

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mayhems blitz part 1 is a one time usage to clean out new rads or second hand rads as it's acid based and leaving it for 24 hours will pretty much clean out any rad in one go. I seriously think metal would be better than wood and when I used the correct tools for the job it was easy to work with as aluminium is nice and soft. Personally I wish I would of gotten 3 massive rads and put them in a rad box!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

yea later today im starting to make it i have a alot of 2 x 4 laying around so ill probably just build the frame out of it  . i still do think metal box would look better but when i went looking for it at homedepot it was stupidly priced 40$ for a 1x2 sheet of 1/16  so wood it is .  did buy the staps found a few different sizes 12in, 16in, 24in got two of each to see which one will work the best   im going with probably 2 360 and a 420 so i never have to add rad space since its more then enough  . im just going to cry having to buy more vardars since there sooo dam expensive, thats if i dont just buy some cheap 4 pack fans and run push pull from MC. i still have to order the pwm/3pin cables and alot of other ones   so i can control the fans and QC's so i can disconnect it

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

finally got to homedepot today only took a week =(  got the straps but had some fun to deal with if you can call it that . one of the workers helping me find it  knew of  LTT video except he was trying to make me buy the most overpriced straps they had .the  one LTT used is 88 cents each im 99% sure   the ones he wanted me to buy 122 dollars each  , it wasnt even close to what they used it was a 1 1/4 in thick steel/ alum bar looked like a fork lift tooth told him its for 20 pounds of rads max  im not hanging a car with this .

no pics of what  i got too late here will update tomorrow maby monday watching luke's charity stream :D

wasn't sure if they used the 8, 12 or the 16in ones so got a bunch of 8's and 2 12's  the 16's seemed way too long  but for few bucks for 10 i cant complain

just waiting on my mono block for my x99 board  to come in stock and still need to get more tubing since i dont think 10 feet is enough. also  i had to drop the  QC's from my part order their either not in stock or are the black ones and they have the white buildup issues. so i rather have some extra tubing for when its time for a draining

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler