Fx-9370 too hot with a corsair H60 cooler, will a Noctua NH-D15 be my saving grace?

Go to solution Solved by Benji_w,

Welp sorry it took me so long but I had to buy new thermal paste and work a shift since my last post. After re-applying the thermal compound and replacing the cooler im still hitting the 60-61 mark after maybe 10 minutes of running anything demanding on my system. Now I guess I'm left with a choice between underclocking or upgrading my cooler... any suggestions for a good air cooler to beat the corsair h60, and maybe compete with the h100i ? :D I'm still thinking the Noctua NH-D15

Ok let me clear things up for you.

1. the Cpu you have is a heat producer, a dual fan radiator would be better for you
  2. The FX range don't have a thermometer in them, they calculate temps under load with an algorithm
  3. A big dual tower air cooler will be better than the H50
  4. Some corsair AIO coolers do not sit correctly on certain boards and cause high temps
  5. That motherboard will bite the dust eventually due to the power draw of that chip
  6. asking for advice here for an amd cpu on intel tech tips forums will give you loads of misinformation

PS the last one was a pot shot at all the kiddies on this forum turning their noses up at a perfectly good CPU range that is a little weaker than its counterpart.  :ph34r:

Hey guys!

This is my first post on LTT so I hope I'm doing everything right, that being said it's nice to finally be on the forums x).

My Specs:

Board: Asus M5a99fx Pro R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-9370 Black Ed. (cooler: Corsair H60)
GPU: NVIDIA Gefore GTX 960 2Gb Strix OC
Ram: 8Gb (2x4) Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600 Mhz
PSU: Corsair Cx 750m
Case: Zodiac "Gemini"  (I bought it locally in a pinch, don't judge.)
2X : Corsair AF120 Silent edition fans for front intake
(Sorry if I'm forgetting anything important here)

I Put this thing together over the weekend and was extremely satisfied with myself as it was my first ever build :D. After installing/updating windows, getting an antivirus and starting to download some games through steam I noticed my cpu was running at around 50 degrees celsius.. I immediately closed all my open programs except task manager and ai suite II and it dropped back down to about 30-32 *C. After alot of googling and browsing forums I've come to the conclusion (and please correct me if I'm wrong :P) that i need to upgrade my CPU Cooler. Now this case doesn't have much clearance above the mobo and after getting the dimensions of a Noctua NH-D15 and comparing it to my set up, it looks like it will infact fit. So I'm really just wondering if anyone has used or is using an NH-D15 on an FX-9370.. or if someone can give me any sort of guidance/reccomendation here as to whether this cooler will be compatible with my motherboard and full profile ram and if it will keep up with the temperature demands of my cpu.

All help is extremely appreciated :)
Nugsy

Dont waste any money on that CPU, if its under 62C then dont need to do anything.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Dont waste any money on that CPU, if its under 62C then dont need to do anything.

I wouldn't bother if it ran that well under load, but the moment i start gaming or pushing my pc in any way it shoots up to the 55-60 range extremely quickly. I havent run anything long enough to push it higher because i'm worried i'll fry my board or chip or something

I wouldn't bother if it ran that well under load, but the moment i start gaming or pushing my pc in any way it shoots up to the 55-60 range extremely quickly. I havent run anything long enough to push it higher because i'm worried i'll fry my board or chip or something

As long at its not passing 62 no problem. Not like ur gaming for 12+ hours a day, or r u?

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

It's fine. 62 is the max an AMD CPU should get.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

As long at its not passing 62 no problem. Not like ur gaming for 12+ hours a day, or r u?

Hm okay.. well i'll go change the settings to their defaults and try to push it on a decently demanding game and see what happens, i'll post again when I've got more info

Edit: Also holy shitsnacks that's got to be the fastest bunch of replies i've ever had on a forum thanks for your swift and (seemingly) vast knowledge guys x)

Welp sorry it took me so long but I had to buy new thermal paste and work a shift since my last post. After re-applying the thermal compound and replacing the cooler im still hitting the 60-61 mark after maybe 10 minutes of running anything demanding on my system. Now I guess I'm left with a choice between underclocking or upgrading my cooler... any suggestions for a good air cooler to beat the corsair h60, and maybe compete with the h100i ? :D I'm still thinking the Noctua NH-D15

1. the Cpu you have is a heat producer, a dual fan radiator would be better for you
  2. The FX range don't have a thermometer in them, they calculate temps under load with an algorithm
  4. Some corsair AIO coolers do not sit correctly on certain boards and cause high temps
  5. That motherboard will bite the dust eventually due to the power draw of that chip
  6. asking for advice here for an amd cpu on intel tech tips forums will give you loads of misinformation

PS the last one was a pot shot at all the kiddies on this forum turning their noses up at a perfectly good CPU range that is a little weaker than its counterpart.  :ph34r:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

basically..you bought a turd

you should have got a i5..not a fx 9x series..they are known to be horrible chips

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

you should have got a i5..not a fx 9x series..they are known to be horrible chips

And as if by magic, right after my post, one appears! All hail the holy i5! No other CPU can compare!  :lol:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Wonderfully, those people!

That is all true. Lots of people here are computer racist.

Wonderfully, those people!

That is all true. Lots of people here are computer racist.

Haha, The i5 is a great CPU and the FX range is pretty dated now, when I bought my 8350 the i5 wasn't as cheap as it is now. Given cash as a limitation it is a wise choice to choose an AMD, like your 6xxx CPU, if you where going to buy an 8350 then it would be better to get the i5 as you'll see slightly better performance gains in games optimised for Intel. I've overclocked my RAM, CPU and PCIe etc so pretty sure my chip is a few frames under the i5.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Thanks for all the responses! I guess my next move is to get a better cooler for the time being and save for a new mobo/cpu thoughts? I only say this because I'm a massive noob on the whole water cooling scene and I'd much rather have optimal temps on a cpu that runs colder with an air cooler..

Thanks for all the responses! I guess my next move is to get a better cooler for the time being and save for a new intel mobo/chip.. thoughts?

I would consider selling them ASAP..and get an intel cpu sooner..rather then later...not very much longer and that 9x cpu and board will hardly be worth anything to people

I would consider selling them ASAP..and get an intel cpu sooner..rather then later...not very much longer and that 9x cpu and board will hardly be worth anything to people

I would love to sell them, I'm just not really sure where I'd be able to post an ad and actually get a response.. :S but i guess I'll have to try

Edit: I'm thinking Kijiji, or ebay but I've never sold anything on ebay before, not sure if i can even do it lol

*cough* anyone wanna buy an asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 and pre installed fx-9370? xD

*cough* anyone wanna buy an asus m5a99fx pro r2.0 and pre installed fx-9370? xD

kijiji is perfect

I use it all the time to buy and sell stuff 

You expect him to be able to sell it here? Lol!

It's always easy for someone to advise buying something else when it isn't their money. If I was the OP I'd mod a fan onto the VRM and CPU socket (behind the mobo) which will bring down temps and make sure that either the block is on the CPU correctly or move to a 240mm rad or a twin tower cpu cooler like the Phanteks ph14. I'd then leave LTT and head over to OCN for some unbiased advice and genuine insight into owning an FX9xxx CPU.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

You expect him to be able to sell it here? Lol!

It's always easy for someone to advise buying something else when it isn't their money. If I was the OP I'd mod a fan onto the VRM and CPU socket (behind the mobo) which will bring down temps and make sure that either the block is on the CPU correctly or move to a 240mm rad or a twin tower cpu cooler like the Phanteks ph14. I'd then leave LTT and head over to OCN for some unbiased advice and genuine insight into owning an FX9xxx CPU.

Having sold my old FX hardware to help pay for my current system, I find this very funny. People buy used all the time, especially if you can prove it's in prestine condition. It's not done long arduous journey he's gonna have to go on.

And your obvious disdain for people on these forums make me question why you're even here.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

All valid points buuuut can we stop the butthurt on my thread please? thanks <3

Not that anyone gives a shit.. but I've decided to post ads for my components, and if within a week or two I get no responses I'll go ahead and try a better cooler/ fan setup. Thanks for your help LTT!

One last comment. Don't use included fans on aio units.

Buy better fans and you will likely see a 5-10C drop (sp120 fans are dogshit).

Like the venturi hp-12 or noctuas sp 120mm (idr what they are called.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Im confused about numver 2.

How does it calculate temps witth an algorithm?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Update: I posted my parts on Kijiji as a pair to try and sell them quickly and within 20 hours I've already gotten one reply :D @techguru thanks for the idea to sell them :) and @FLUFFYJELLO thanks for giving me hope x)