Future of consoles?

Dimetime35c

I read an interesting article a while back that talked about how consoles will be killed eventually by cell phones!? It was say that eventually phones will have enough power to play games as well or better then a console and sense everyone has a cell phone devs will target them instead seeing as its a larger market. What do you guys think. Also with current cell tech if we were to take the best cells cpu, gpu, and Jerry rig some type of set up built only to play games what Era of console performance would we get?

I don't play games on my phone or my iPod anymore, just find them too boring... Whoever said mobiles will replace consoles is a certified idiot.

Certified_Idiot.gif

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I read an interesting article a while back that talked about how consoles will be killed eventually by cell phones!? It was say that eventually phones will have enough power to play games as well or better then a console and sense everyone has a cell phone devs will target them instead seeing as its a larger market. What do you guys think. Also with current cell tech if we were to take the best cells cpu, gpu, and Jerry rig some type of set up built only to play games what Era of console performance would we get?

nah phone games are terrible, they will never compete with consoles tbh 

I would much rather play on a bigger screen and with a controller. i find ported games such as bioshock and minecraft to not have all of the features and are less satisfying to play. Even though phones end up as powerful as the ps4, the consoles or pcc in the future will be much more advanced. 

eventually phones will catch up to today's consoles.

the thing is, by that time consoles have gone MUCH beyond what they are today.

Yeah..probably won't happen. Consoles are to big right now.

Dude, how many "Future of INSERT SUBJECT HERE" are you gonna make today  :unsure:

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

In respect of generated revenue, some of them do.

Isn't mobile gaming already more profitable then this generation of consoles?

Some of them costs literally nothing to produce but they end up with millions of profit.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Dude, how many "Future of INSERT SUBJECT HERE" are you gonna make today :unsure:

Hey just 2 I just saw how the topic of consoles was being brought up with respects to AMD and was trying to pull the console discussion into this one and the AMD to stay in that one.

Hey just 2 I just saw how the topic of consoles was being brought up with respects to AMD and was trying to pull the console discussion into this one and the AMD to stay in that one.

Ok I get it. :D

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Ok I get it. :D

Yeah but admin F ed it all up by condensing my future of AMD into my older thoughts on AMD topic:( one was meant to be what COULD happen other was worst-case.

Yeah but admin F ed it all up by condensing my future of AMD into my older thoughts on AMD topic:( one was meant to be what COULD happen other was worst-case.

PM him, but I guess it's too late.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

PM him, but I guess it's too late.

Already did. Hoping they can change it back but may have to recreate the topic:(

I think consoles are certainly dying, but it's going to take a combination of PC and mobile to finally bring them to their knees. Each console is at least a  five-year device, The Xbox 360 was released in 2005, the Xbone was released eight years later. All of a sudden, the console manufacturers and devs found themselves come from an era in which consoles offered great gaming performance for the price, suddenly in a world where entry-level graphics cards sold for $50 on eBay could outstrip them in every possible aspect. Now, even mobile phones are starting to get very competitive in terms of power per watt. If we can get the performance of the Shield Console into something the size of a phone, then the consoles will really really die.

Don't worry, the consoles are on their last legs already. They refuse to make their hardware competitive and instead expect devs to cope with the inferior capabilities of the consoles they code for. They're basically dragging themselves down to extinction. One way or another they will perish, almost certainly within the next 5-10 years.

I think consoles are certainly dying, but it's going to take a combination of PC and mobile to finally bring them to their knees. Each console is at least a  five-year device, The Xbox 360 was released in 2005, the Xbone was released eight years later. All of a sudden, the console manufacturers and devs found themselves come from an era in which consoles offered great gaming performance for the price, suddenly in a world where entry-level graphics cards sold for $50 on eBay could outstrip them in every possible aspect. Now, even mobile phones are starting to get very competitive in terms of power per watt. If we can get the performance of the Shield Console into something the size of a phone, then the consoles will really really die.

Don't worry, the consoles are on their last legs already. They refuse to make their hardware competitive and instead expect devs to cope with the inferior capabilities of the consoles they code for. They're basically dragging themselves down to extinction. One way or another they will perish, almost certainly within the next 5-10 years.

Well with Steam boxes&VR coming this November/December it looks like it  :)

Probably getting a HTC VIVE day one, 400$ for such a revolutionary thing in gaming, is a bargain. 

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Well with Steam boxes&VR coming this November/December it looks like it  :)

Probably getting a HTC VIVE day one, 400$ for such a revolutionary thing in gaming, is a bargain. 

I think HTC and Steam's implementation of VR shows real promise over the frankly meh job Oculus has been doing. I would much rather support Valve than Facebook.

I think HTC and Steam's implementation of VR shows real promise over the frankly meh job Oculus has been doing. I would much rather support Valve than Facebook.

Still, 1080P looks like shit in VR... but hey, I hope atleast my 980Ti can power TWO screens at 1080P 90hz without dropping below 90FPS.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Still, 1080P looks like shit in VR... but hey, I hope atleast my 980Ti can power TWO screens at 1080P 90hz without dropping below 90FPS.

Depends on the game. I don't see why not.

The VR era is gonna be reeeeeally interesting to see. I'm waiting for lens-based displays, personally, where I can adjust the opacity of the display. And by then, they'll have made a MicroDisplayport which is basically just a tiny cable and connector that comes out of your glasses or whatever. And your phone will run it because by then phones will be powerful and efficient enough to do that stuff.

After everyone hating on Alienware for years, seems like they finally did something good: Alienware Alpha for 330$ during sale.

So let's see:

- Better graphics then PS4, let alone Xbox One ✓
- Supports 4K 60hz, a lot of less graphical intensive games like Fifa can be played at 4K easily ✓
- Mouse and keyboard support ✓
- Free multiplayer, saves up to 420$ during the next 7 years ✓
- Is a full PC with Windows 8.1/10. You can use it for everything just like a normal PC. Heck it would even be a a cheap option for company's. ✓
- Much cheaper games on PC ✓
- Comes with free wireless xbox 360 controller with dongle ✓
- Supports all controllers that you already have, it has built in bluetooth so Dual Shock 3 and 4 are supported. ✓
- More exclusives ✓

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Normaly i would hope Consoles vanish and make space for inovation and real nextgen graphics. On the other hand i hope they stay so PC stay free and the Companies have their targetgroup for milking. Hard choice... :wacko:

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO