What is the pan nordic keyboard layout?

tornados2111

I found this keyboard for cheap on ebay http://www.ebay.ie/itm/COOLER-MASTER-STORM-QUICK-FIRE-RAPID-MECHANICAL-BLACK-GAMING-PAN-NORDIC-KEYBOARD-/171064798601?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_KeyboardsMice&hash=item27d441ad89

and it says that the keyboard layout is pan nordic. I have tried googling this but I am getting completely different results. Is this some Finnish keyboard or is it english?

It's scandinavin, main difference will be 3 Nordic characters located next to L/P. It's an awful layout, even more so if you only write in english : P

Get an english keyboard.

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

It means it's a combined scandinavian keyboard. You will have three extra letters (Æ Ø Å) and sometimes have an extra key left of the spacebar. Don't buy it if you don't plan on writting either danish, swedish or nowegian. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

nordic means that it has æ ø and å. Personally im from Denmark, so i need to be able to write that.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

God dammit. Why is a cherry mx red in english 36 extra euro than a nordic cherry mx red. That's like 45 dollars or more

God dammit. Why is a cherry mx red in english 36 extra euro than a nordic cherry mx red. That's like 45 dollars or more

You can use it, you just have to learn where the extra keys are placed. I myself have never used a danish keyboard layout, but I can still write danish on it.

Is it possible to just  buy the nordic keyboard and separately buy different keycaps or something? I'm pretty sure that will still be a lot cheaper

Is it possible to just  buy the nordic keyboard and separately buy different keycaps or something? I'm pretty sure that will still be a lot cheaper

It is possible, but I am not sure since nordic keyboard tends to have a bigger enter key that takes away another button. 

no. Personally i use a nordic keyboard just fine for typing english. There isnt much different other then the spacebar being bigger and left shift smaller, because there is an extra button next to it.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Some special characters are rearranged, and it has a tall horizontal enter key.

ATEDB6.jpg

This is rather simple.

There are two basic layouts for the keys themself: ISO and ANSI. ISO has 105 buttons, ANSI 104.

1000px-KB_United_States_Dvorak.svg.png

a ANSI layout. In this case Dvorak.

GWhEX.png

A ISO layout, in this case the nordic one.

most of europe uses the ISO layout, while for example in america ANSI is used. Whatever you use is completely up to you, I however prefer ISO because of the additional key.
If you never look at the keys while typing, this is the only thing that needs to concern you.

The next thing is the National layout. Nordic is based of ISO, and as some already pointed out has æåø in a faster to use place, while it puts the special characters in different places. If your keyboard has this you still can type with different layouts, providing you know the keys, because you can always change the layout in the OS to whatever you like.

For me for example, as I use a different keyboard with ISO button layout and don't look at the keys, I would be fine with using the nordic keyboard. If you however aren't used to ISO, or always look at keys, I do not suggest using that keyboard.

It is possible, but I am not sure since nordic keyboard tends to have a bigger enter key that takes away another button. 

no, the nordic has one more key than the american. In the enter key area the amount is exactly the same, things are just shuffeled, and the left shift is a bit shorter, which gives room for another key.

however if you were to buy caps, they need to be ISO.

This is rather simple.

There are two basic layouts for the keys themself: ISO and ANSI. ISO has 105 buttons, ANSI 104.

1000px-KB_United_States_Dvorak.svg.png

a ANSI layout. In this case Dvorak.

GWhEX.png

A ISO layout, in this case the nordic one.

most of europe uses the ISO layout, while for example in america ANSI is used. Whatever you use is completely up to you, I however prefer ISO because of the additional key.

If you never look at the keys while typing, this is the only thing that needs to concern you.

The next thing is the National layout. Nordic is based of ISO, and as some already pointed out has æåø in a faster to use place, while it puts the special characters in different places. If your keyboard has this you still can type with different layouts, providing you know the keys, because you can always change the layout in the OS to whatever you like.

For me for example, as I use a different keyboard with ISO button layout and don't look at the keys, I would be fine with using the nordic keyboard. If you however aren't used to ISO, or always look at keys, I do not suggest using that keyboard.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I just want to be completely 100% sure though so I'll ask this again. I have an ISO layout right now. I do not look at my keys when I type. Therefore getting a nordic keyboard is fine for me because it's still set as the same language in windows. So it will be the same experience, just with some different letters on the keyboard - not affecting me. Correct?

Thanks again for the help

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I just want to be completely 100% sure though so I'll ask this again. I have an ISO layout right now. I do not look at my keys when I type. Therefore getting a nordic keyboard is fine for me because it's still set as the same language in windows. So it will be the same experience, just with some different letters on the keyboard - not affecting me. Correct?

Thanks again for the help

yes.

I would however only do that If I know all the special characters on my layout which I do.

Cool Thanks for the help. You saved me some money

Oh sorry but just one last question. Is pan nordic the same as nordic?

Oh sorry but just one last question. Is pan nordic the same as nordic?

I think that pan nordic has a few of the umlauts to also be used in finland, as I also have seen layouts with åøæ and umlauts sometimes.

In any case, I think that it should still be ISO.

also do you care to post once you recieve the keyboard? I want to know.

I think that pan nordic has a few of the umlauts to also be used in finland, as I also have seen layouts with åøæ and umlauts sometimes.

In any case, I think that it should still be ISO.

also do you care to post once you recieve the keyboard? I want to know.

Yes, if I decide on this one then I will post. I am however also considering just a normal english quickfire tk because I would like having the numpad, (although I can get used to it not being there) but it costs around 35 extra euro again so I'm not decided on it yet

• 1 month later...

problem of ISO/nordic keyboards are that they have a strangly placed brackets with is VERY uncomfortable if you are a programmer.