Photo
- - - - -

Help! I think I burnt out my CPUFAN header on my new ROG Maximus Hero, Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thewangman

thewangman

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi,

I just got a Maximus VI Hero today with a 4670k (birthday present from my wife and whole family).  This is the 4th computer I've built and I've never had any issues.  After I finished the installation and wiring I powered on the system and it was turning on and off, the post led was going crazy.  A couple minutes later there was a pop and a really haggard smelling smoke became visible behind my Kuhler H20 920.  It looked to be around the VRM heatsink so I took off the radiatior and did some trouble shooting.  I tried plugging 1 fan in only directly to the 4-pin CPU fan connector instead of using the "hub" that is attached to the cooler.  Nothing worked.  I then took out the stock Intel cooler and I wasn't getting any spinning.  I kept getting an AMI bios "cpu fan error" message.  I then tried plugging the fan into the CPU option and it spun.  I had to do some fiddling in the UEFI to get the error message to disappear but it eventually did.  Should I return the board to the store I got it (Canada Computers), RMA it or just make do with the stock cooler running on the option header?  The fans I had on the Kuhler 920 didn't work plugged into either header, Corsair SP120's, not sure if those fans are dead.  Anyone have any insight with this?

Thanks

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 Vic9mm

Vic9mm

The Diesel Mechanic

• 593 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

Take it back to the store where you got it and exchange it for another one. Something popped most likely a capacitor make sure to your receipt. If you can't your gonna have to RMA the board. I wouldn't take a chance on using that board anymore.   

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

#3 Godlygamer23

Godlygamer23

What's it to ya?

• 8,991 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Get a replacement. Either through the store directly, or through ASUS.

#4 fracking4oil

fracking4oil

Fracking fracker!

• 596 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I agree with the others, not worth chancing it...

CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz   CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z77 D3H   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

#5 BgG286

BgG286

• 384 posts
  • LocationMy room.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Like the others said, don't use it. A good way you can check to see if your fans still work is by getting a 9v battery and some wires to check if they still work, or you could try them in another system.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

#6 Kuzma

Kuzma

Extensive Studying Member

• 3,557 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

RMA that thing >_< sucks when people get duds.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel Xeon E5520 @ 4.1Ghz with Corsair H80 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Black RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 200R | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD202-II | Blue Snowball

#7 fishymamba

fishymamba

Wannabe Tech Guru.

• 1,665 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Return it! I advise you to not do it through Asus, go directly to where you bought it from. Asus RMAs can take a month or more from what I have heard.

CPU: i7 [email protected] Mobo: Intel DZ77-RE 75K RAM: Team Extreme 16GB 1600Mhz GPU: MSI 660 TI PE mild OC PSU: Antec 520W Case: NZXT Phantom 410

Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda+320GB Seagate HDD Audio: Sony MDR-V6 + Fiio E10

#8 thewangman

thewangman

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the support guys! I brought back the board to the retailer but I must have messed up taking the cpu out of the socket and bent some pins, not my finest acheivement! The retailler refused the exchange but advised me to speak with Asus. I'm lucky that here in Toronto there is an Asus office/warehouse close by. I RMA'd the board and dropped it off. I'm waiting for an email now to let me know I can pick up the replacement. The bad thing is I have to pay $130 because of the pins, it is what it is and lesson learned! I'm not happy with shelling out extra money but I know when the system is up and running I'll forget about it!