Browser Performance Showdown (Microsoft Edge)

Hi @nicklmg

Edge is second chrome. RAM eater.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

):

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

zomg thank you lord nick for letting us see this in advance 

now please ban that imposters video from the thread

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Please don't post crap like that. You just give them more attention.

PM an admin and we'll get it taken care of.

The only browser worth using is Firefox

Google chrome master race.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

The only browser worth using is Firefox

Flash breaks Firefox on the regular. Anytime I've tried to use Firefox in the last 6 months or so I get frustrated and switch back to Chrome, despite its terrible aspects.

Flash breaks Firefox on the regular. Anytime I've tried to use Firefox in the last 6 months or so I get frustrated and switch back to Chrome, despite its terrible aspects.

So true!

Chrome ftw.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I know chrome eats ram but I am just used to it. Thats the lame excuse so many people also use. I have used firefox and am using edge but always find my way back to chrome for all my apps I like and some I paid for. Also what was this msg in response to? I am but confused. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

sorry ):

I know chrome eats ram but I am just used to it. Thats the lame excuse so many people also use. I have used firefox and am using edge but always find my way back to chrome for all my apps I like and some I paid for. Also what was this msg in response to? I am but confused. 

A post that I deleted.

That's strange, I never have any problems with it.

It CONSTANTLY messes up for me. And I know multiple people that have the same experience.

The one time I've had serious trouble with Firefox crashing was after I copied the entire preferences/history/config folder directly from my Debian install to my Windows install. I don't know why I thought that wouldn't break something.

As for Flash, I've stopped using it cause of its endless security issues.

I don't care how fast Chrome is. I'd rather give up on technology and go live with the Amish than knowingly install spyware on my computer.

Ever since I switched to Chrome from Firefox I haven't looked back a single times.

My biggest complain about Firefox is the synchronization of bookmarks and such across multiple devices. Without going into a long rant, i had lots of issues getting it working between two devices at all. With Chrome on 4 different devices, it has been pretty much log in once and it just  works.

Yes Chrome uses more ram and runs each tab in a different process, but that's a trade-off I'm willing to make since I have a rather good machine (4790k with 16GB of RAM), I'm not a heavy web multi-tasker and that Flash is rather unstable these days.

thumbs down because video title completely ignores firefox.

I prefer using ff because of the extensions.

I've found that both Edge and IE are better than Chrome on my PC, Windows tablet and laptop.

In IE11 and Edge:

• Loads faster.
  • Maintains a constant 60fps (especially when scrolling - oh my goodness chrome lags when scrolling... Try visiting a parallax site on Chrome and you will cringe).
  • Pages load faster. This is due to chrome connecting through Google to take you to your website, similar to how clicking on a link in Google's search results takes you to a Google link and then the website (if Google's servers are down, Chrome won't work at all).
  • Tabs load faster.
  • Search result/page suggestions appear faster.
  • Uses far less RAM.
  • I get about 3~4 hours more battery life on my laptop, especially when watching videos.

I don't know if you guys are using a special version of chrome or something, but it hasn't performed well for me in the last 2 years of using it. Firefox is quite a bit better, but doesn't use Google to sync my browser info, and I don't feel like taking the time to transfer all of my data.

What could be making such a stark difference between the benchmarks in that video and my results?

thumbs down because video title completely ignores firefox.

I prefer using ff because of the extensions.

The video is based on performance - not usability. The title ignores Firefox because it has never really claimed to be the speed king, as webkit (which is the base layer of both Chrome and Opera) has on many occasions.

I use a Lenovo T440: i5 4300U, 8GB RAM, 128GB Samsung 840 Evo, 14" 900p display and an external 23" 1080p passive 3D monitor. Extended 6-cell battery with internal 3-cell. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (I only use open-source software -- haven't paid for a single program yet).

I prefer chrome over all browsers, but edge isn't too bad.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I always go back to Firefox because chrome cannot open files without saving them first.

why did he hold a cup at the end?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't know why everyone says that Chome is a RAM hogger, I currently have like 43 tabs opened, and my whole Windows 7 machine only uses 3.29GB (so including everything else). All tabs open instantly. Do other browsers have even less RAM usage at 43 tabs opened?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

CHROME  MASTER RACE

I always go back to Firefox because chrome cannot open files without saving them first.

There is an extension to fix that :)

I'm on Firefox Nighty 64-bit. I never see that 32-bit version again...

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:ASRock Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB Phantom Gaming D OC

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

A post that I deleted.

It CONSTANTLY messes up for me. And I know multiple people that have the same experience.

What do you mean by messes up?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

To me the most important criteria to choose browser is functionality, not performace or ram usesage.  Yes if one browser can open a page in 10 sec while other takes 20 sec then that is a problem, but more realistically one can open in 3 sec other can open in 4 sec, I don't care.  That is the reason why I don't get on Chrome bandwagon becuase Chrome doesn't come with left bookmark bar.  When Google offically put such a basic function in Chrome, I will consider to compare FF and Chrome.  Beside, FF is the one single handedly saved the Internet when IE had so much secirty issues.  I am still thankfull for that.