htpc questions

Guest Johnny5g
Go to solution Solved by Murdoch,

Kinda sounds to me like you'd be better suited with something like the Amazon Fire TV. Services like Netflix, Hulu or Vudu? (is this similar to ultraviolet?) simply don't mesh well with XBMC. You can launch the external Windows store apps from within XBMC, but it's a bit of a pain to setup and hardly a flawless experience. You can perhaps get an extension for Netflix, but they tend to be pretty poorly implemented, even the YouTube and Twitch extensions suck ass, videos randomly don't load, the UI is horrible, it's just all round a bad experience. And I'm saying this as a hardcore user of XBMC, that absolutely loves XBMC for playing local network content. It just sucks ass for online services (for the most part).

On the other hand, you can quite easily install XBMC on fire TV and it works flawlessly. Along with pretty much any other Android App.

hello! i have a few questions about building an htpc. so number 1 what software would i use? i want to use Netflix and stuff like that so i know i can't use openelec. number 2 would i need a gpu? i am not using 4k or anything like that. thanks!

hello! i have a few questions about building an htpc. so number 1 what software would i use? i want to use Netflix and stuff like that so i know i can't use openelec. number 2 would i need a gpu? i am not using 4k or anything like that. thanks!

Lots's of people use xbmc(kodi) which can run on top windows or as a linux distro. It is possible to use netflix with with an extensions if I am correct.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

my htpc runs windows.....xD

You can use windows mate, No problem with it xD

And if you have a modern I5 processor, or even an I3 you shouldn't need a dedicated graphics card for purely video playback. But, if you want to be 100% sure you'll be crystal clear, an R7 250, or gt 750 will do the job just fine. Really, any gpu you can pickup for about 70$

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Lots's of people use xbmc(kodi) which can run on top windows or as a linux distro. It is possible to use netflix with with an extensions if I am correct.

how would i do that? 

Here is the extension http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211574.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

my htpc runs windows.....xD

ok thanks!

ok thanks!

Windows isn't worth it for an htpc use kodibuntu or any linux distro with the program.

ok thanks!

what os are you running?

You can use windows mate, No problem with it xD

And if you have a modern I5 processor, or even an I3 you shouldn't need a dedicated graphics card for purely video playback. But, if you want to be 100% sure you'll be crystal clear, an R7 250, or gt 750 will do the job just fine. Really, any gpu you can pickup for about 70$

ok thanks!

I don't think an htpc unless you have a huge media collection from ripping movies or torrenting or what ever.

Windows isn't worth it for an htpc use kodibuntu or any linux distro with the program.

but i am worried i can't use netfilx vudu and hulu. i would also like to use iTunes i guess.

what os are you running?

nothing i am thinking of making one.

Look at my build 2 in my signature it runs xbmc fine.

Look at my build 2 in my signature it runs xbmc fine.

it is not the hardware i am worried about the software.

but i am worried i can't use netfilx vudu and hulu. i would also like to use iTunes i guess.

You could use music downloaded by itunes in xmbc, but probably not moves or tv shows due to the drm lock. Itunes would work if you exited xbmc, but only on windows.

You could use music downloaded by itunes in xmbc, but probably not moves or tv shows due to the drm lock. Itunes would work if you exited xbmc, but only on windows.

so which would be better for me? linux or windows?

so which would be better for me? linux or windows?

If you want to use itunes windows if not use linux to save 100$. Though it would be a pain to use the mouse in keyboard if you exit kodi. Xbox controller or maybe ps3 controller work with kodi as well you can also you a remote is you use this tutorial http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=170372.(Could be outdated I would look for a new tutorial)

If you want to use itunes windows if not use linux to save 100$. Though it would be a pain to use the mouse in keyboard if you exit kodi. Xbox controller or maybe ps3 controller work with kodi as well you can also you a remote is you use this tutorial http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=170372.(Could be outdated I would look for a new tutorial)

ok thanks!

ok thanks!

For you an apple tv would be good netflix, hulu, and itunes, but no vudu.

I just created shortcuts to media websites on the desktop and replaced the icons with the logos of each media site. You can also use Kodi or Windows Media Centre.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Code of Conduct ■ Suggestions ■ Report a Bug ■ FAQ with Windspeed36 ■ Useful Links ■ Memes

I just created shortcuts to media websites on the desktop and replaced the icons with the logos of each media site. You can also use Kodi or Windows Media Centre.

ok thanks!

Well, if you're looking to use Hulu, Netflix and Vudu, your best bet would be something like a Roku or an apple TV as those have built in apps for those services. I have myself an HTPC, but getting proprietary services to work is a pain. Kodi (formally known as XBMC) has no supported or functioning plugins for any proprietary services unfortunately. My solution was to run a server software called PlayOn (which you have to purchase a license for) which creates a UPnP server to connect Kodi to, that will allow me to view and stream those services. The downside is you're limited to what ever Hulu, Netflix, etc. streams via the web. (For Hulu thats 720p) So the quality is a bit meh.

So my recommendation is get a Roku or similar device (which is cheaper then an Apple TV I believe) if thats all you want to use you're HTPC for.

Hope that helps you out!

I can also provider further details if you really want to setup an HTPC for yourself.