GPU not detected in Laptop or Desktop PC

Go to solution Solved by MegabassNote,

I had the same issue, it seems the latest version of the client is unable to download the GPU.txt file which contains the supported gpus. I fixed it by manually copying the gpu.txt file online into mine from here. Hope it helps!

gpu .txt is in C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient

Hello,

I own a brand new Acer Aspire VN7 Nitro with an i7 4720HQ and a GTX 960M.

I'd like to use my Laptop for folding when I am on my Desktop tower or sleeping.

All 8 threads get detected, the GPU however is not. The Laptop uses a function to disable the GPU in not so power hungry applications and I tried adding exceptions to every .exe associated with the FAH client, but it just keeps showing me "GPU:0".

Is there any known workaround for this?

Ad victoriam ex machina non sibi sed patriae

are you sure that you haven't disabled your GPU in the BIOS ?

Hello,

Just a word of warning, since you cant remove the battery from that laptop I would be quite hesitant to have it constantly sat on, it will soon wear the battery down

Also keep it very well ventilated and monitor the temps occasionally

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Mess around in the power saving options in windows. Might be the fix.

are you sure that you haven't disabled your GPU in the BIOS ?

Just installed the V7 client on my Desktop PC, it does not detect my GTX 970 there either.

Might be a Windows 10 issue, since Win10 is installed on both machines.

And yes, very sure that it's active. I am gaming on that Laptop.

Edit: Heres the screenshot from my desktop PC. No GPU detected:

fah3ej53.png

and here from the laptop, no GPU either:

fahxws5a.png

I'd assume you've installed GPU drivers, if I'm not mistaken you can right click and use the GPU in your laptop instead of iGPU.

Or maybe just GPU drivers, if you haven't installed it.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Try updating your bios and your grapics card driver!

if that doesent work, try:

Right click on "my computer" choose manage

Next, click on "hardware manager", check: Graphic cards, check if there is your Graphic card, and if it is, right click on it, and choose properties

Go to the controller tab, and click update controler! let it run on internet search, and after that just go on general tab, in the same windowm and see if there is, in the hardware status place, a message sayin'  "the device is working roperly".

Give me some feedback!

I'd assume you've installed GPU drivers, if I'm not mistaken you can right click and use the GPU in your laptop instead of iGPU.

Or maybe just GPU drivers, if you haven't installed it.

Try updating your bios and your grapics card driver!

if that doesent work, try:

Next, click on "hardware manager", check: Graphic cards, check if there is your Graphic card, and if it is, right click on it, and choose properties

Go to the controller tab, and click update controler! let it run on internet search, and after that just go on general tab, in the same windowm and see if there is, in the hardware status place, a message sayin'  "the device is working roperly".

Give me some feedback!

Thanks for your Help, but I am very certain that the drivers and the BIOS of both machines are completely up to date.

Thanks for your Help, but I am very certain that the drivers and the BIOS of both machines are completely up to date.

Than just try:

Give me some feedback!

Than just try:

Give me some feedback!

Again, both my PCs are up to date and fully working. Both GPUs are recognized and running outside of the FAH client.

Is there a BIOS option to disable the iGPU?

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Is there a BIOS option to disable the iGPU?

Nope and I dont want to do that. I need the Laptops battery life and I dont want the 960 to always run.

And whatever I do, I cant get it to work on the desktop either

I had the same issue, it seems the latest version of the client is unable to download the GPU.txt file which contains the supported gpus. I fixed it by manually copying the gpu.txt file online into mine from here. Hope it helps!

NICE!! Thanks a lot, worked on both machines. <3

Seems like it fixed it. I had issue with my laptop earlier.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

NICE!! Thanks a lot, worked on both machines. <3

Not a problem, someone suggested it on Folding@Home community forums when I was searching the internet for solutions. I had just reinstalled Win10 on my rig last night (was running Win10 previously and FAH was working fine) and noticed my GPU wasn't detected this morning. I'm also able to use the GPU in my laptop now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem, too.

I'm running newer i7 processer, Windows 10, and two GTX 980ti.  I've tried all above, but, here are a couple of 'tweaks' that I needed to do on my machine to get FAH to work:

1) make sure to uninstall all previous versions of the FAH client using the Control Panel uninstall.  During uninstall, when prompted, check the 'data' box, too.  I also deleted all previous versions of the FAH install application (file named fah-installer_7.4.4_x86.exe; it was in the 'C:\Users\[userName]\Downloads' folder).

2) I restarted the machine ... just to ensure it's a 'clean' boot.

3) I re-installed the FAH client from http://folding.stanford.edu/

4) At the end of installation, a screen appears that prompts me to push a 'Finish' button - DON'T DO IT! I let the installer hang while I copied the GPUs.txt file into the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient (yes, my location was in a different location)

5) then I pushed the 'Finish' button back in the install application window.  The FAH client then recognized all my GPUs.

Good luck!

• 4 years later...
On 9/1/2015 at 4:38 PM, UrbanaJamie said:

I have had this problem, too.

I'm running newer i7 processer, Windows 10, and two GTX 980ti.  I've tried all above, but, here are a couple of 'tweaks' that I needed to do on my machine to get FAH to work:

1) make sure to uninstall all previous versions of the FAH client using the Control Panel uninstall.  During uninstall, when prompted, check the 'data' box, too.  I also deleted all previous versions of the FAH install application (file named fah-installer_7.4.4_x86.exe; it was in the 'C:\Users\[userName]\Downloads' folder).

2) I restarted the machine ... just to ensure it's a 'clean' boot.

3) I re-installed the FAH client from http://folding.stanford.edu/

4) At the end of installation, a screen appears that prompts me to push a 'Finish' button - DON'T DO IT! I let the installer hang while I copied the GPUs.txt file into the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient (yes, my location was in a different location)

5) then I pushed the 'Finish' button back in the install application window.  The FAH client then recognized all my GPUs.

Good luck!

I had the same problem but on my desktop setup. I followed the instructions above after trying a variety of things and this worked perfectly. It's really important to not let F@H client download the GPU.txt list, because for some reason, it doesn't update correctly and the client will be unable to detect any additional GPUs or a change in the GPU configuration.