120 x 4 aluminium fin radiators and metal in loop discussion

I am having a hard time finding aluminium finned radiators and yes I must have the durability for handling and cleaning I don't want super thing copper ones getting mashed.

I found some by aquacomputer but they aren't black which is gross

you have to take care with aluminum in a loop that has copper parts. i hear corrosion is really bad

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I wouldn't worry to much about aluminium vs. copper for the fins because that that thickness both metals are going to deform very easily.

you have to take care with aluminum in a loop that has copper parts. i hear corrosion is really bad

He's only talking about the fins ;)

I saw a comparison video of copper fins vs aluminium and he was very rough with the aluminium fins and they were immaculate where he was much softer with copper and it was so pathetic under touch

I am having a hard time finding aluminium finned radiators and yes I must have the durability for handling and cleaning I don't want super thing copper ones getting mashed.

I found some by aquacomputer but they aren't black which is gross

Copper fins aren't that bad as long as you won't run your fingers or drag them along them, it's going to be hard to find rads with fins that aren't copper nowadays.

Come on someone has to have something, i've seen them! :)

Can I get a title edit to "fin" not fan?

- Edit- full editor

then you can change title

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I saw a comparison video of copper fins vs aluminium and he was very rough with the aluminium fins and they were immaculate where he was much softer with copper and it was so pathetic under touch

Instead of trying to look for aluminium rads i would focus on strongly build ones, like high pressure rads, those things are rugged, there are alumunium rads in the market, but you gotta at least be willing to do a paint job cause, they are rare and you won't find many color options

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

They are only really used on AIo coolers to save costs but in general they don't make custom water cooled rads that are non copper core that have copper fins anymore.

FYI, aluminum fins are as delicate as the copper counterparts. the thin fins aid

in heat dissipation. so to find just an ally radiator just for the need of less fin

damage during handling is robbing the wrong end of the horse.

reason behind not painting aluminum fins is to increase the thermal dissipation

that is lost due to the metal's inefficiency to transfer heat. less paint more cooling.

as to why most good watercooling shops pass on them, they are not as good as

the copper/brass radiators in thermal efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so are there alternatives for a more durable rad?

As airdeano said a rad with better fin material thickness or build is your best bet, the fins should be fine even under regular handling and aren't that prone to damage unless you impact them. There are ones such as EKWB's rads which use a copper core and fins but have a steel casing surrounding the entire unit:

https://shop.ekwb.com/radiators-fans/120mm-series-radiators

Seriously just get a copper finned rad and be done with it, doesn't matter if its ally or copper, it will bend if you handle it wrong. I've yet to bend a single fin cleaning my rads so I'm not sure what you plan to clean them with? A hammer and a screw driver perhaps? In which case I'd advise you use a paint brush and water from your sink to remove the harder to shift clumps of dust.  ;)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I'm not sure what you plan to clean them with? A hammer and a screw driver perhaps?

The rads i've used bend before appropriate cleaning can be performed. All of this hammer and screwdriver nonsense is just ignorant. I have bent radiator fins with home tap water pressure or the light brush of a finger.

The rads i've used bend before appropriate cleaning can be performed. All of this hammer and screwdriver nonsense is just ignorant. I have bent radiator fins with home tap water pressure or the light brush of a finger.

Sounds like the rads you had were pretty poor quality rads theses days you can run water through the fins with no problems, even lightly brushing your fingers over them isn't a problem if you don't apply too much pressure. It's not really a problem as your making it out to be theses days with rads.

Ok well the last rad I had was the XSPC RX360 and its fins were flimsy as. Looking at maybe an EK 480

Funny... I ran my rad under the tap before fitting as part of my flushing and cleaning process and no fin was harmed in the entire process, I'm sorry but you seem to be mishandling your rads. I have owned Alphacool, Coolstream and XSPC rads, the only time I bent a fin was when I dropped the rad and caught it before it was able to hit the floor.

To further add to this nonsense, I was cleaning my older rad before with a paint brush and still didn't bend a fin....

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd