Windows 10 vs 8.1 vs 7 Gaming Performance

time to bust myth that Windows 8.1 and 10 are better for gaming

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

What about the most popular Linux Distros or OS x.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

they still are better overall though.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

they still are better overall though.

I am using Win 7 at work and 8.1 at home now

dont feel any difference between them

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I dont know why but when I tried windows 10 my boot time increased from 40 seconds to over a minute. Also you cant change the color of the window borders. You have white and thats it. Too bright for me.

A few other things turn me off of 10 also so after a few weeks I went back to windows 7. The was nothing major wrong with it. Just a bunch of small things.

Blarg

@nicklmg when is the vessel upload?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Windows 10 isn't worth it at all to me with all of that spying going on. I really liked it too, until I found out how bad it was. So until they remove that, I would not recommend an upgrade to anyone.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I had a good laugh at the public access look of the video, really puts it into perspective the quality of the videos when they have a proper setup.

Looking forward to see how the videos look once you're all moved in and have the various sets setup.

@LinusTech My answer for the problem at 3:02 in the video: right click the taskbar, click properties than in the Taskbar tab go down to Notification area: click Customize, than go to Select which icons appear on the taskbar

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

"No downside" is a bit of an exaggeration, Microsoft's lack of caring about their customer's security becomes more evident with this update, which is a big downside to, I'd imagine quite a few people.

@Mike_The_B0ss

Hmm this is interesting.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

You kind of forgot the most important aspects, namely privacy / data collection. Of course games are going to run about the same.

And the faq is wrong with the colors in this vid? O.o

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I could be insane, but I could swear GTA 5 performs a ton better on windows 10 than on windows 7! Either that, or it inexplicably looks better (maybe dx11.1 features?) because myself and a bunch of friends have all commented on it looking "sharper" on windows 10. We could be going insane, however.

At least until the first DX12 game is released.

Windows 10 isn't worth it at all to me with all of that spying going on. I really liked it too, until I found out how bad it was. So until they remove that, I would not recommend an upgrade to anyone.

As I said in another thread: if you don't want to get spied on, stop using any form of technology. If it's not MS, it's your ISP or other software you run on your PC. The best way to not get spied on is to not have an internet connection.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Am I the only one who likes the metro UI with mouse and keyboard.

Anyhow, I think I'm holding up on windows 10 until Killer Instinct releases for W10.

At least until the first DX12 game is released.

As I said in another thread: if you don't want to get spied on, stop using any form of technology. If it's not MS, it's your ISP or other software you run on your PC. The best way to not get spied on is to not have an internet connection.

That has to be one of the world's most idiotic arguments!

In what world does it make sense that if I don't want to be spied on, I have to forfeit my right to use technology, especially in an age that is almost entirely digital now? You do realize you are part of the problem, right? Your inaction to make these criminals stop what they are doing gives them the power to keep going and pushing the boundaries.

So if I don't want to be spied on I have to get rid of the people who spy on me and the lame brains who condone it or ignore it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Sweet Jeebus, my eyes!

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

That has to be one of the world's most idiotic arguments!

In what world does it make sense that if I don't want to be spied on, I have to forfeit my right to use technology, especially in an age that is almost entirely digital now? You do realize you are part of the problem, right? Your inaction to make these criminals stop what they are doing gives them the power to keep going and pushing the boundaries.

So if I don't want to be spied on I have to get rid of the people who spy on me and the lame brains who condone it or ignore it.

Really now? Idiotic, huh. What a way to enter a discussion. It's not idiotic just because you disagree.

Anyway, I don't see a problem. You're the one who takes offense to these things. How are you planning to change the industry's mind? By posting on a forum that you don't like what they're doing? By not upgrading to the newest version because it sends usage data to microsoft? Whatever dude, stay on W7, but I'm not downgrading anymore. I love W10.

I do feel the need to add here that I do not actually condone what they are doing, but I really don't care. at all. Being indifferent != condoning something. They can have my info. Really, they can. What do I care? Why should I care? They probably should disclose what exactly they gather and what for, I do agree with that.

That being said, In order for this "movement" to really take off, you need some very clear evidence of what exactly is being stolen, and who can actually access it. It was the same way with the whole Edward Snowden thing. No one gave a shit until he proved that people were actually looking at personal pictures they gathered. As long as MS doesn't read my communications, I won't care.

My comment still stands though. If you want to change the way the industry thinks, you need to show them that you can live without their stuff. You need to boycott them, which does indeed mean you stop using their tech in this digital age. If you use it, you agree to their terms, which is something you obviously don't want to do. There, unfortunately, is no other way. Being a keyboard warrior isn't going to help in this case. Sure, you can try to circumvent and prevent the leaking of your "precious" information through various ways, but the truth is that you probably end up giving more away than what you are trying to protect. You can also use alternative technology, such as linux for your OS (though ubuntu has sold info to amazon in the past), but that's ultimately the same thing but less harsh. You're still giving up a bunch of features in favor of "Privacy". The choice is yours. I choose to use 10 with the knowledge that some of my information is being sent to Microsoft.

So yes, if you don't want to get "spied" on you have to make a point, which at this point in time means you have to get rid of the people who "spy" on you. That's how this works.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

What about the most popular Linux Distros or OS x.

They are bad for gaming.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Should I consider this a 'review' of Windows 10 or just a review of gaming performance on different OS's?

Because if it is an OS review, it is really a poor one and fails to mention most of the Windows 10 drawbacks: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows-10-review&num=1

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

what is with the colors?