Lenovo found to include unremovable software which spies on users (a clean install of Windows doesn't fix it - BIOS level)

GoodBytes

Lenovo is under hot water again,

This time, it has been found that Lenovo using its BIOS inject its own software on any Windows installation, replacing "autochk.exe" system file signed by Microsoft, with its own, which automatically runs on the user system to install allegedly an "optimization software", called "Lenovo Service Engine" which is hidden from the users eyes. If you remove it, restoring the file back the way it was, or delete it (Windows needs that file), the BIOS will replace it back at boot up.

This affects Windows 7 and 8 users, and possibly Windows 10 as well.

It has been found that the software collects all sorts of data from the user, and sends it to a Lenovo servers which allegedly is used for telemetry purposes. Unlike Microsoft, the privacy policy doesn't go into details on what it collects, beside the "no personable identifiable information collected" claim in the license agreement of the system when you first startup the device. Also, the users thinks that they can remove the software, but you can't in reality. It can also deliver software to the system without the user knowing.

Oh and if you think you'll find it in task manager the process to kill it, well, you can't. It runs on the BIOS, outside of the OS.

The way it works, is that it uses Microsoft's Platform Binary Table (which is being used incorrectly here, as a back door to implement Lenovo software). The actual purpose of Microsoft's Platform Binary Table was for allowing anti-theft protection system on laptops. Microsoft implementation is in trusting select manufactures to use ti properly, as it was originally designed to be used for. But I guess now it has backfired in a way. OEMs can't be trusted it seams.

Lenovo released a statement after the news broke up that from now on Lenovo system produced from this date won't have this anymore. No information if current systems will get a BIOS update to remove it or not.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/lenovo-in-hot-water-once-again-for-secretly-installing-unremovable-software

SNIP

Microsoft with W10, Lenovo, sheesh can they all just leave us alone  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Windows does this too.

but yea we don't need more people  spying. 

Their bloatware is also quite irritating to deal with tbh. One Key technology was crap.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great. I have a Lenovo laptop from like 2011 or something with a 2nd generation Intel i5. I wonder if that has this. >_<

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Windows does this too.

but yea we don't need more people  spying.

Microsoft I trust. Much like Google. They have long proven what they collect is safe. Here with Lenovo, we don't know, and I don't see the point in data collecting. Google and Microsoft (as well with Apple), uses that data to, yes sale it, but also to improve their product and services. Lenovo.... hmm doubt it. I think it is just for selling purposes. Also, is the data collected, is it protected? Or their servers are easy to crack?

Microsoft I trust. Much like Google. They have long proven what they collect is safe. Here with Lenovo, we don't know, and I don't see the point in data collecting. Google and Microsoft (as well with Apple), uses that data to, yes sale it, but also to improve their product and services. Lenovo.... hmm doubt it. I think it is just for selling purposes. Also, is the data collected, is it protected? Or their servers are easy to crack?

Very True.

Pretty sure somebody will send a bios version with out the spy if not already. It's a shame on how companies portray that their products are secure, but when you add a backdoor to your system a smart attacker will use it...

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

oooooooh, thats why we have a special "OS mode" selector that is only Windows8 and "Other" I noticed that it did absolutely nothing.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

F*** Lenovo. Seriously. Why?!

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X250. Damn it. 

Return it, show them that this kind of shit is not acceptable.

CPU: i7 4790K, GPU: Sli Gtx 980, MB: Msi Gaming 5 z97, Ram: 8 Gig HyperX Fury, PSU: Corsair RM 750, Cooling: Corsair H100i

Good thing i put Vista on my lenovo laptop.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

And this is why I will not 

buy a lenovo laptop 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

On this same note, Lenovo just got caught with Superfish.  It is like they learned nothing from that.  Or maybe they learned that despite everything, the average consumer just literally doesn't care.  I am not sure which would be worse.

Owch, first the factory included Malware and now this. Lenovo you guys are playing a dirty game!

Good thing i put Vista on my lenovo laptop.

It could be affecting XP and Vista for all we know. It just wasn't looked into.

oooooooh, thats why we have a special "OS mode" selector that is only Windows8 and "Other" I noticed that it did absolutely nothing.

Nope. Windows 7 is included.

And that option is a simple way to say: CSM (Compatibility Support Module) enabled or disabled, with Secure Boot enable or disable together.

So, if you want to install Windows 7 say for example, as Windows 7 is not UEFI ready at 100%, you need to set UEFI to emulate the old BIOS (CSM enabled), and disable Secure Boot.

I thought a saw a post earlier about fixing this. Something to do with autochk.exe n stuff.

Also included manually flashing the BIOS chip on the pc. was super ghetto.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Lenovo's logic would be 'If the big boys can do it, we can too. We'll just do it sneaky-sneaky.'

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Let's just call it what it is, a rootkit.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Anyone remember E-Machines? I've got an old laptop of theirs running XP Server, still has some of my dad's military files on it, he was deciding between it and a Lenovo...

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW