What sort of portable gaming system will you get?

skywake

So basically I saw this thing yesterday: http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/10/9128997/steam-machine-portably-smach-zero-steamboy

Basically it's a PC that should be able to play most of the indie games and a fair chunk of older titles. All via Steam. But it's a portable gaming device that you can put in your bag and take with you. Play a few minutes of Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge on the train. But I could also lie in bed and stream AAA games from my PC. So it's an interesting idea that, if it was a tad cheaper, I'd run out and get. Even as someone who's a fan of Nintendo's stuff.

But that got me thinking. When the next generation of portable gaming spins around, if it spins around, what will you guys be getting? Is the Nintendo dominance dead? Do we want more than just the portable exclusive titles on our portable systems. Brand new games built for that power envelope. Would it be better if instead we could only play older games and indie titles on our portables with game-streaming to compliment it? Or is portable gaming a dead idea to you, replaced entirely by mobile. There's a poll above, you're free to pick one or all of the things.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I don't like portable gaming and I don't feel like I ever will. I bought a Nintendo DSi and never used it. I just gave it away.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

The only reason I ever even had a portable console was for Pokemon, though I haven't played since Heartgold. So if I ever do get another, it will probably be a Nintendo console.

Although I voted portable steam machine, I dont think on the go gaming will ever really be a big thing, gaming is meant to be done at a desk, with your nice PC.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well i always wanted a PlayStation Vita as i am part of the generation that played the PSP. For me the PSP way of portable gaming is still the way to go, newer games nowadays don't get anywhere near to reaching the feel of playing games on a PSP.

A laptop. 

That's the best portable gaming option. As long as its a powerful yet thin laptop.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

That's the best portable gaming option. As long as its a powerful yet thin laptop.

A laptop isn't portable enough to be really portable though. You can't really pull out a laptop while standing at a bus stop and play a quick game of something. I'm sure you could try but it'd be a task and a half. And being able to use it easily in scenarios such as that would be how I'd define a "portable gaming system".

I wouldn't at all mind having something like that which can run a bunch of indie games on Steam.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I pick up whatever portable system has the best JRPGs. Right now that's the 3DS. If that ever changes to become the PS Vita or the Steam Machine then I'll get those.

*edit: and DAMN if Axiom Verge on a portable system doesn't get me MAD HYPE!

Git Gud.

I'll defenatly buy a nintendo <3

Though, I hate what they did with the 3DS, some games won't be playable on the older 3DS, and that's stupid, though, the new 3DS has A LOT better 3D

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

If there's a new smash, Nintendo hands down

Or you know, I can read a book or do a sudoku puzzle on the train instead

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Recently upgraded from the 3DS XL to a New 3DS. I own three laptops but would never think of them as gaming systems and the Nintendo is way more portable. And has better games.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

SNIP

Considering I own an 2 gaming laptops, an Nvidia Shield, iPhone, Vita and 3ds (and old handhelds) I will probably buy all the new ones too

This PC one looks cool

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii