BeamNG Drive Tech Demo and Alpha Access

BeamNG just released the TechDemo and Alpha Access to their awesome physic engine a couple of minutes ago.

You can download free tech demo here or buy an alpha access if you wan more features + regular updates for just $15 here.

Who we are

BeamNG is a young startup company developing a state of the art real time physics simulation engine. We are currently a team of two programmers and two artists that founded the company in 2011.

Our goals

Our main focus is on how things move rather than how things look on the screen. We aim to bring our expertise in real time soft-body physics and soft-body physics model design to the forefront of game physics simulation, making available the technology and know-how to as a wide an audience as possible. To achieve this, we are designing the engine and corresponding assets, so as to be independent of the underlying game engine and Operating System.
Right now the physics engine is running on a multicore CPU configuration, but we are also in the process of supporting GPUs via OpenCL.

Our mission

To have realistic, accurate, destructible and malleable physics everywhere. To make anything possible.

Main site: http://www.beamng.com/content/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

My god, this looks so good. If GTA could implement this it would be awesome!

my mind went immediately to GTA :p

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

This is pretty cool! Going to download it now and test it out. Hope that this engine will be implemented to games later.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Finally!

Still many bugfixes to do but man, that is some ambitious project. I'll buy an alpha access key, that's for sure.

144Hz goodness

I really want this game dude, it looks like o much fun. If it ever got mutliplayer itd be a hit.

donate pls

this is very impressive we need engines like this to bad its only in alpha and gta is already made maybe in gta 6 we will see some sort of physics engine like this.

I remember this, ive been part of the community since 2010, im very exited to see where this goes.

Been wanting something like this for years. I played the heck out of the tech demo already and plan on messing around a bunch more. And after I'm tired of the tech demo they are probably getting my money.

For those who want to know the tech demo is running on full settings between 50 and 70 fps @ 1080p on a 2600k and a 7870 xt.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Been wanting something like this for years. I played the heck out of the tech demo already and plan on messing around a bunch more. And after I'm tired of the tech demo they are probably getting my money.

For those who want to know the tech demo is running on full settings between 50 and 70 fps @ 1080p on a 2600k and a 7870 xt.

Could you list out the feature in the alpha once u got urs? Planning to donate some money to them as well but i wanna know the alpha content. The tech demo is great, no slowdown on my system at all.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Looks super cool. I would love to see this in the next racing sim.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Could you list out the feature in the alpha once u got urs? Planning to donate some money to them as well but i wanna know the alpha content. The tech demo is great, no slowdown on my system at all.

Can do, I largely just want to show support for people who are finally making this happen.

Playing with the tech demo I can see myself getting hooked on off roading like I never have before. Those stair bits near the beginning are fun.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

My god, this looks so good. If GTA could implement this it would be awesome!

I bet you only though of GTA because of the camera angle when driving :P

For those who are wondering here are the diffrences between the versions

Free:

1 playable car

1 playable map

Paid (Taken directly from the BeamNG site)

» Soft-body physics sandbox
» 5 detailed, customizable, destructible vehicles
» 6 terrains to explore and drive across
» Frequent free updates adding terrains, vehicles, features, gameplay, and bug fixes
» Full modding and content creation capabilities - make maps and vehicles, and script gameplay
» Use the built-in terrain editor and any 3D modeling, image editing, and text editing software
About the Alpha Access

For those who are wondering here are the diffrences between the versions

Free:

1 playable car

1 playable map

Paid (Taken directly from the BeamNG site)

» Soft-body physics sandbox

» 5 detailed, customizable, destructible vehicles

» 6 terrains to explore and drive across

» Frequent free updates adding terrains, vehicles, features, gameplay, and bug fixes

» Full modding and content creation capabilities - make maps and vehicles, and script gameplay

» Use the built-in terrain editor and any 3D modeling, image editing, and text editing software

About the Alpha Access

For $15, that is totally worth it. :o

Alright, I've mucked about a little with the alpha now.

To me the physics make some cars unplayable. The pickup and the hatch back are the only ones I can do anything useful with. The sedan and the sports car are extremely tail happy and the van is slow. Though I haven't tried any mods yet there does seem to be some fixes from the communities for this.

The places where I think this game will excel in its current state are off road and demolition derby. If the physics get fixed/modded to be more practical then road racing would be loads of fun too. To me at least the driving model doesn't seem to like high speeds in its current state.

I also think that soft-body damage on the environment would be an awesome next step, But seeing as spawing only 5 vehicles including my own will bring my cpu utilization to %70 (stock 2600k) and my fps to the 30's then I see a small chance of that happening. I'd say anything more than a 4 car demo derby would be extremely difficult for anything less than a sandy bridge quad core. Plus that answer's my personal question on why we may not have seen a game like this yet. (aside from rigs of rods, but BeamNG is much more refined right now)

In short, if the physics were more usable, the environment destructible, and I had a computer that was at least twice as fast, This would be one of my most favorite games ever, and time plus the game being open to modders can easily fix all of those.

They're gonna bring OpenCL support, maybe that will help to balance the CPU load.