Redox - By August

Owndblood
J7Smna8.jpg

Time has come for a new project to start, I've been thinking about this project for a few months and figuring out the details, I'm finally ready to get started! The computer is meant to act as my main system, therefore I went with the X99 platform as I could use the extra performance, Ofcourse everything is going to be watercooled, more about that later.
A little more about the name, Redox. The case that I will be using is an InWin D-frame mini, the case will be painting to reassemble rust, the whole project is based of the car-term Rat-Rod, as I want a rusty and beat up finish on the outside, but a sleek and fresh look on the inside.
Redox is a gatheringword for Oxidation and Reduction, That's why I think the word fits the rusty theme.
componentlist

CPU: Intel i7 5820k
GPU: GTX 970
GPU: GTX 970
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3
RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 32GB (4x8GB)
SSD: Intel 730 240GB
SSD: Intel 730 240GB
PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 850w
Fans: Noiseblocker E-loops

Onwards to the pictures!

6HjYQoO.jpg

kWc7Op7.jpg

mQxmj5O.jpg

K0N2mAH.jpg

U9wMPiE.jpg

xrQ8WEU.jpg

See you next update!

Time has come for a new short update before I head of for vacation, I will be gone untill saturday så unfortunately you will have to live without updates for a week ;) next week the case is being prepped for painting and will start getting painted. More components will arrive shortly after that.

Since I didn't cover the project very well in the first post I'll explain a bit more on what the goal is for this project, as I mentioned earlier the build is being based of the car term "Rat-Rod" and therefore the case will be custom painted in a way that reassembles rust.
The goal is to make the outside look old and beat up, details of perforated metal will also be added, and painted. I want the outside to look old and rusty to make the inside of the case really pop out. The inside of the PC will be mostly black but some accents of nickel will also be added, just to add to the new and fresh feeling. The build will host 2 GPUs, both being GTX 970's to fill up the case as much as possible, both the graphics card and CPU will also be watercooled.

You'll get to know more as the build progress, I don't want to reveal too much this early.

And ofcourse in a build like this I need fast storage, so I chose 2 Intel SSDs, Intel 730 240GB and Intel 530 240GB. The fans that I will be using on the radiators are Noiseblocker E-loops that will also be recieving an extra touch.

Here are a few pictures!

Jtqe8KH.jpg
UWLyAFC.jpg

That's all for this update! see you next week.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm back from my vacation and it's time for an update! today I've been prepping the case of painting, I've also test fitted some components to get a bigger view of how the results will be, it's going to be tight but it'll fit! The case has been stripped of all parts and screws, only the frame remains. Primer has been applied and I'll begin the painting in a few days.

I will cover the custom paint a bit more in the next update!

here are some photos of the test fit

zn15zmv.jpg

SXTuYuW.jpg

gCiCrzr.jpg

XkwkecR.jpg

The case has been stripped of all hardware and is getting ready to be painted

BMLoX4Y.jpg

45N71qW.jpg

SNiBA8m.jpg

The primer has been applied! the rust painting will begin in  a few days.

AIsKhMm.jpg

cI1QjZ6.jpg

YetbjgD.jpg

What's that paint your using their can't quite make it out?

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!
Hey guys, time for another update, in this update we will be covering some new components and some minor modifications.

I've been trying out some different methods of painting and also some different types of paint to see what gives the best result and I decided to go with semi-matt black paint for most of the components in the build, such as the fans, some details on the motherboard and the RAM sticks.

I didn't have time to get everything I needed ready so I could begin painting the case but some good news, I've decided to try my luck on Paracord since I haven't really worked with it a lot and I wanted to try something other than Teleios.

I will most likely begin sleeving the PSU in a week or two, now that school's started again I don't have as much free time on my hand so there might be a slight change in the pace of updates.

Onwards to some pictures! I decided to try painting the Noiseblocker E-loops with gunmetal grey plasti dip, I think the finish turned out good but unfortunately the layers were a bit too thick so it couldn't move freely whilst mounted, this is a risk I was aware of but I decided to give it a shot anyways.

The final decision was to use semi-matt black spray paint for the fans and I'm absolutely in love with the results.

Ns6yP24.jpgXlNtXRZ.jpga60JcXc.jpg

ErPPLft.jpgTkVIiPR.jpgMNb7xn4.jpgfuSgBps.jpgDbCi3nt.jpg

These are some more detailed photos of how the finish turned out on the case.

8lVwnDF.jpgmGwBM3D.jpg

And here's a little surprise that I haven't really told many people about, I decided to go slightly old-school with the ram and I bought some old DDR2 OCZ Reapers to "borrow" the fins on and put them on my new set of 32gb's 2133MHz RAM. Here are some glamour shots!

Gjd7ihg.jpgkFL5PGJ.jpggq24WDc.jpgo4X0uY7.jpguWHy9zU.jpg

-snip-

the ram looks sick in combination with the colour and finish on the case

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Eloops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best fans ever. Yes I said it!

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

How much is this case?

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

Gotta love these Noiseblocker Fläktars :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

the ram looks sick in combination with the colour and finish on the case

I thought to bring a bit of the past into the build so I chose these heatsinks :) I absolutely love them.

Eloops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! best fans ever. Yes I said it!

They sure are! :D

questions about this case: is there pre drilled holes for atx sized mobos? 

The pre-drilled holes are only for cable management and MITX motherboards so I will be drilling and tapping my own ATX holes.

How much is this case?

in Sweden it's the equivalent of 270$, but I didn't pay anything as InWin are supplying me with the case :)

Gotta love these Noiseblocker Fläktars :D

Indeed!

Genius build ! It'll probably end up being the most portable ATX build ever made  :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody! Sorry for the lack of updates recently, just started school again so I've had to prioritize school before modding, so unfortunately I haven't had a lot of free time to work in the past weeks, but I didn't want to keep you waiting too long so I decided to write a short update. The painting of the case has begun! I'm trying to be a bit secret about it and not reveal it until it's done, so you'll have to hang in there to witness the final results. Good news! Sleeving the Powerzone 850W PSU next up, this time I will be trying out some paracord, I decided to go with two different kinds, all black and white striped paracord.

As you saw in the most recent update I got a hold of some oldschool DDR2 RAM coolers, these have been given a "special touch" to fit the theme of the build. The next part is customising the motherboard cooler to fit in better and fabricate a custom IO Cover. More about that later on.

Here are a few pictures of the sleeving I decided to go with.

This will be my first time working with paracord so hopefully it'll go fine. I hope..

4DERK03.jpg

K2CDmGl.jpg

oxUBj4j.jpg

PDOdWfP.jpg

ag0eAMr.jpg

I will post a sleeving update soon, most likely next week when everything is finished, as for the case that will be showcased when finished :)

Also! For those of you who are interested in my work, feel free to pop into my facebook page to find small updates and teasers of upcoming projects. https://www.facebook.com/AugustLCustoms

That is all for now! I will see you all in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Time has come for a new update! I finally finished painting the case, I think the result is fantastic and I am unbelievably satisfied. What do you guys think? I will try to find time to sleeve the rest of the cables this weekend, I will post an update on the sleeving next week, so stay tuned for that! I also got a shot to try out my new Canon EOS 750D camera which I think is fantastic. The live-view mode really helps to get the focus the way you want it and to give the picture the desired "feeling". The painting has been my main priority the past weeks so I haven't been able to get a lot of other things done, apart from the sleeving.

Sleeving pictures coming next week! Although, what do you think, White/black paracord or just all black. I haven't quite been able to make up my mind so I guess I'll just have to try out the different combinations.

Anyways, onwards to the pictures!

l8GbQf7.jpg

snsneUF.jpg

4dEd3Qp.jpg

bC55xYB.jpg

qlT42sa.jpg

g1CgQof.jpg

That's all for this update! See you all next week.

Snip

It looks like the case belongs there. Nice photos.

What are the other colors you are going to have inside the case? If it is mostly black already then using black/white sleeving will give a little accent to the whole.

Or you can go with black sleeving to keep the same color all around.

It looks like the case belongs there. Nice photos.

What are the other colors you are going to have inside the case? If it is mostly black already then using black/white sleeving will give a little accent to the whole.

Or you can go with black sleeving to keep the same color all around.

The inside is going to be mostly black with some nickel accents to give it a "new" finish. :)

Oh man, ulalala!!! This paintjob is off the shelf mate!

Oh I would love this to be nickelplated copper pipe watercooled , oh maan , oh maaan!

TOP NOTCH!

The inside is going to be mostly black with some nickel accents to give it a "new" finish. :)

Is the nickel going on the case only or also on the gpu/motherboard?

If on the case only then go with black/white sleeving to set the inner "guts" apart from the case.

If you are going to use some nickel on above said components, then I would go with all black sleeving.[emoji3]