Got a leak on the GPU

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

If water got into the card I would disassemble the entire card and clean it off with isoproyl alcohol to ensure no contaminates got on the PCB.

As for the fittings itself the bitspowers ones seems to be very tight on the LRT tubing, try placing the tube and fitting itself if boil water for a little while to try and get it to screw it down. Theoretically if it's compressing as much as it can it shouldn't leak.

Ok, so I just finished fitting the tubings and decided to start filling it up from the top port of the top radiator - I think that was a mistake because the reservoir was shut (the only place where air could get in was that fill port I was using) and the water couldn't get to it - instead it overflew from the fill port. Not an entire sea, maybe 20ml, but it got on the GPU (between the waterblock and the actual chip). Of course everything is powered off and I wiped whatever I could with a tissue but I am still freaking out. Would I need to drain the loop, remove the GPU, open it and let it dry or would blowing with some compressed air between the waterblock and the chip and letting it dry for 3-4 days be enough??

In the mean time I can proceed with the leak test - I tilted the case until the water got to the reservoir and flooded the pump. But first let me say I have a problem with screwing the compression fittings - I used PrimoChill Advanced LRT which is very thick and stiff, I dipped it in HOT water for a minute or two and did my best to screw the ring of the fitting but they are no more than one turn in and I fear that after some time (a week, a month) they may slide down and the tube may just pop out of the barb. I tried pulling on the ring to see if it moves and it doesn't seem to but I'm still concerned. Here's a picture of the fittings with and without the ring (so you can see how many turns the thread has). Is it safe?

-SNIP-

If water got into the card I would disassemble the entire card and clean it off with isoproyl alcohol to ensure no contaminates got on the PCB.

As for the fittings itself the bitspowers ones seems to be very tight on the LRT tubing, try placing the tube and fitting itself if boil water for a little while to try and get it to screw it down. Theoretically if it's compressing as much as it can it shouldn't leak.

Thanks for the reply! I already drained the loop - I thought I'd play safe just in case. The weird thing was that even though I spent a day rinsing the radiators until they were clean I got a lot of black pieces when I emptied them now O.o I dismounted them and rinsed them again, hopefully no more left...

Thanks for the reply! I already drained the loop - I thought I'd play safe just in case. The weird thing was that even though I spent a day rinsing the radiators until they were clean I got a lot of black pieces when I emptied them now O.o I dismounted them and rinsed them again, hopefully no more left...

Did you clean the rads beforehand, since it's recommend to flush them before installation since during manufacturing copper and brass filings among other stuff gets into them.

Did you clean the rads beforehand, since it's recommend to flush them before installation since during manufacturing copper and brass filings among other stuff gets into them.

Yes, I did - I spent 4 hours of shake+drain and then half an hour of flushing water from the tap in each direction and then more shake+drain with distilled. And they were clean in the end, this is why I find it baffling there was residue now that I emptied the loop....

Yes, I did - I spent 4 hours of shake+drain and then half an hour of flushing water from the tap in each direction and then more shake+drain with distilled. And they were clean in the end, this is why I find it baffling there was residue now that I emptied the loop....

Unless there was dust or debris in the blocks or fittings I'm not too sure, I usually rinse out my blocks, and reservoirs just in case. I did notice however some fittings have some debris from manufacturing.

Unless there was dust or debris in the blocks or fittings I'm not too sure, I usually rinse out my blocks, and reservoirs just in case. I did notice however some fittings have some debris from manufacturing.

Maybe it was that... I didn't rinse some of the fittings. And I didn't rinse the waterblocks, cause I read that rinsing waterblocks isn't necessary.

Maybe it was that... I didn't rinse some of the fittings. And I didn't rinse the waterblocks, cause I read that rinsing waterblocks isn't necessary.

I just do it just incase of dust but yeah now that you have it apart better to just flush it again, it might have been paint when some fittings got installed coming off the threads also, 

I just do it just incase of dust but yeah now that you have it apart better to just flush it again, it might have been paint when some fittings got installed coming off the threads also, 

Yes, I noticed some of the paint coming off and I regretted getting painted fittings... Once I have everything connected again, I will simply disconnect the inlet of the reservoir and put that tubing in a bucket, the keep filling water into the reservoir -> and run it for a minute of so to flush the whole loop; then connect the output of the last block back to the reservoir inlet and fill it up. Should do the job.

OK the same thing happened to me with my 980 ti although i was missing two screws for the gpu water block which made it leak and i split a quite a bit of coolant while i was trying to fill up my res and coolant spilled everywhere, after i took off backplate and saw coolant by the corner where you screw pci card into the case of the pc and it was like a round patch of green coolant, i cleaned it with alcohol and put the backplate and the forgotten screws back on and the filled my pc again and it was fine also prior to this i had a bad oring in on of my fittings so i had to swap that out too. but gpu is working great even though i need to change one of the tubes from gpu to res since it got kinked. 

OK the same thing happened to me with my 980 ti although i was missing two screws for the gpu water block which made it leak and i split a quite a bit of coolant while i was trying to fill up my res and coolant spilled everywhere, after i took off backplate and saw coolant by the corner where you screw pci card into the case of the pc and it was like a round patch of green coolant, i cleaned it with alcohol and put the backplate and the forgotten screws back on and the filled my pc again and it was fine also prior to this i had a bad oring in on of my fittings so i had to swap that out too. but gpu is working great even though i need to change one of the tubes from gpu to res since it got kinked. 

Glad your GPU wasn't damaged! I decided not to open the GPU and clean because 1) I\m sure very little (if any) water go there and more importantly 2) I only had pure distilled water - still haven't put the dye yet.

I convinced myself that those bits of residue were indeed black paint that came off as I was unscrewing the fittings, so I'm pretty sure none of it has gone/will go into the loop. So I just filled it up and ran it - it's all good! I'm really happy, just need to drain the bubbles left, leave it for a day and then the moment of truth will come - is all of my hardware still working :D

Glad your GPU wasn't damaged! I decided not to open the GPU and clean because 1) I\m sure very little (if any) water go there and more importantly 2) I only had pure distilled water - still haven't put the dye yet.

I convinced myself that those bits of residue were indeed black paint that came off as I was unscrewing the fittings, so I'm pretty sure none of it has gone/will go into the loop. So I just filled it up and ran it - it's all good! I'm really happy, just need to drain the bubbles left, leave it for a day and then the moment of truth will come - is all of my hardware still working :D

I reused my cooland as i freaking spilt quite a bit of it and had barely anything left It was quite frustrating trying to save every drop of it as i wanted my pc up n running asap lool.