EK Vadar Fans RPM

bpw87

I'm looking at using EK Vadar fans in my new PC I'm building. I'm looking at the using 4 fans all run off a Swiftech fan splitter on a CPU PWM header. I'm planning on blocking off the rear 120mm fan spot to help keep positive pressure. I'm looking at the 1450 or 1150rpm fans so when they are ramped down they won't be easily heard.

I'm wanting to build the quietest possible AIO/air cooled PC I possibly can, especially important at idle. Also both the GPU and PSU have a zero fan mode while at low load and temps.

General specs:

Caselabs Nova X2M mITX case

4670k cooled by a Corsair h105 @ 4.2ghz with 1.17v

MSI Z97i Gaming ACK

MSI 980Ti Gaming @ 1400mhz

EVGA Supernova G2 750w

I'm reusing my current CPU. At the moment it will run the overclock I stated while on air using a 212 Evo, going from 30 to 35c idle and into the low 70s under very heavy load but normally around 60 to 65c while gaming. I'm fairly confident the h105 even with very low rpm fans could keep it as cool or cooler then it runs now.

About what minimum rpm would for both the fan types if controlled by the CPU PWM header at idle?

What are peoples thoughts?

post-76711-0-14692300-1438769069_thumb.j

I would look at the EK Vardar F4-120ER, as they have 500-2200 RPM range.

That way so can you have them quiet, while still got enough power to keep the system cool when needed.

I don't think I could handle fans running at 2200rpm even if it's only while hot. I had a Corsair AF120 performance fan running at 1600rpm and the thing drove me crazy.

I have a big split system AC unit in my room so I don't have to worry about high ambient temps.

I don't think I could handle fans running at 2200rpm even if it's only while hot. I had a Corsair AF120 performance fan running at 1600rpm and the thing drove me crazy.

I have a big split system AC unit in my room so I don't have to worry about high ambient temps.

As far as I can tell, so does the 2200ER one have the same power and sound level on 1450rpm as the 1450rpm one.

Also, the 2200ER one goes lower in rpm then any other Vardar model, at least based on this test: http://thermalbench.com/2015/06/29/ek-vardar-f4-120er-120mm-fan/3/

Those 2 factors means that the extra cost of $2 is worth it. Plus it comes in all black or all white.

As far as I can tell, so does the 2200ER one have the same power and sound level on 1450rpm as the 1450rpm one.

Also, the 2200ER one goes lower in rpm then any other Vardar model, at least based on this test: http://thermalbench.com/2015/06/29/ek-vardar-f4-120er-120mm-fan/3/

Those 2 factors means that the extra cost of $2 is worth it. Plus it comes in all black or all white.

Thanks for the link. I had a read through all of the EK fan reviews. The differences in dBA between the 3 fans at 100% through a rad at 6" away are 35dBA for the F1, 42dBA for the F2 and the F4-ER is at 54dBA. My tower is up on my desk and I'm not gonna have a rad to muffle the noise so I'd be looking at 58dBA at 6" for the F4-ER, that is about as loud as a normal conversation from 3 foot away.

Thanks for the link. I had a read through all of the EK fan reviews. The differences in dBA between the 3 fans at 100% through a rad at 6" away are 35dBA for the F1, 42dBA for the F2 and the F4-ER is at 54dBA. My tower is up on my desk and I'm not gonna have a rad to muffle the noise so I'd be looking at 58dBA at 6" for the F4-ER, that is about as loud as a normal conversation from 3 foot away.

You dont need to run it at 100%. The F4-120ER is like having all the lower rpm models available, so you pay $2 extra for the black color and the lowest rpm available.

You dont need to run it at 100%. The F4-120ER is like having all the lower rpm models available, so you pay $2 extra for the black color and the lowest rpm available.

Took me a while but I get what you are saying now. I'm hoping MSI fan control software is better then what is on my ASRock board, which pretty much non existent and I had to use Speed Fan to actually make noticable changes to it. I might buy one and see how it is before I by all of them as I have about a 2 month wait on my case so I have plenty of time. Thanks