Choosing headphones,price ratio 80-100 euros

dirolas

Hello LinusTechTips community,

Well , right now i have plantronics 788 headset,and i'm thinking of getting something else perhaps.They do pressure my ears after 2h of usage.Surround sound is okay i guess ( first headphones i owned with surround sound. I can easily tell where are the shots , movements or other sounds are coming from.I'm looking into sennheiser hd 558 ( you do need a differente cable to plug these into pc? ) and maybe some others? superlux 668b , something from audio technica.I will be using them mainly for gaming , a bit for listening to music.Maybe there are better solutions at this price ratio ? I have some old mic for 10$ that sounds decent,i dont think i need to invest into it.

Thanks for all the response. :)

hyperx cloud perhaps?

i have those, the sound is pretty amazing compared to the stuff i had before, and they're that comfortable i fell asleep with them on several occasions.

you have the first or the second version of them? btw how's the mic ?

you have the first or the second version of them? btw how's the mic ?

I have the first version,it is an amazing headset but the mike is not great, good enough to yell at russians in CSGO but that's pretty much it.

Still the best headset under 100€

I have the first version,it is an amazing headset but the mike is not great, good enough to yell at russians in CSGO but that's pretty much it.

you have never used €10 off-brand headsets before have you?

sure its not a fancy consenser mic, but its dang good for the occasional skype convo.

what about sennheiser hd 558 ? it's like 15 euros more where i live.

what about sennheiser hd 558 ? it's like 15 euros more where i live.

HD558 can sound extremely similiar to HD598 with a simple mod. Both headphones use the same kind of driver. It's a headphone that's easily recommendable for general use with warm but detailed sound. 

Another option would be ATH-AD700X, the headphone has huge soundstage but it lacks bass when compared to HD558.

ath-ad700x would sound better then hd 558? but geez,those adh-ad700x costs like 190 euros :OO

You should also consider the HD 518. Same drivers as the HD 558/598 at a fraction of the price. They leak sound like an open back pair would, so they are ideal for use at home only.

Compared to the other two they have more bass at the compromise of treble. Not necessarily a bad thing since they could be considered more fun sounding and wold give you a more immersive gaming experience. Soundstage is also slightly smaller due to the grill design. 

518 costs 115 euros, 558 costs 125 euros,i think i would go for 558,tooooo bad i can't listen to them before just buying it,searched everywhere,no one has it in stores  ( where you can test their sound ) , would 518 sound like 558 ? i will be trying the ath-50x and ath-ad700x , ath-ad500x ( i wonder how much of a difference is 700x vs 500x) just to see how are they for listening to music and stuff.

Yes, they are similar. The 518s are less open compared to the 558s and with slightly lower quality padding/earpads. Exact same drivers. Like I said earlier very similar sound just with more bass and less treble due to its design. 

Yes, they are similar. The 518s are less open compared to the 558s and with slightly lower quality padding/earpads. Exact same drivers. Like I said earlier very similar sound just with more bass and less treble due to its design. 

yeah so i will try hd 518 and those that i mentioned,i wonder how good will they sound compared to my "gaming headset " for 50 euros :lol:

yeah so i will try hd 518 and those that i mentioned,i wonder how good will they sound compared to my "gaming headset " for 50 euros :lol:

Sounds good. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

Just note that it might take some getting used to since they will probably be significantly less bassy compared to your gaming headset.

Sounds good. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised ;)

Just note that it might take some getting used to since they will probably be significantly less bassy compared to your gaming headset

zzzzz... someone got the hd 558 for 120 euros where i live,and now the cheapest is 170 euros lol wat.....so i'm thinking now about something else,could you offer anything that would be good for gaming purposes? ( like i said i have plantronics 788 ). Is it even worth getting something better,like will i even notice the difference in twice more expensive headset's / headphones ? like hyperx cloud II  , compared to plantronics or anything else? Or should i just wait till the price (hopefully) will drop back to 120 euros and then try to get those hd 558?Thanks for your answer.

Try a pair of high end headphones and see if you can tell the difference from your gaming headset. There is really no other way to tell if they are worth it unless you try it yourself.

MadLustEnvy over at headfi has a nice guide on headphones which work well for gaming:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mad+lust+envy+gaming+guide&oq=mad+lust+e&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i59j69i60.3041j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8