< News Items >
10Gbps full-duplex speeds, and 20Gbps versions are on the way
USB Super-Mega-PlanetDestroyer-SpeedDemon version expected to be announced in 2014
- New chipsets required
- Backwards compatible
- Lacks daisy-chainability and display-carrying capability of DP
Prettier games cost more to make. Better games satisfy consumers.
transcranial direct current stimulation
the headset jolts your prefrontal cortex with electricity, improving your focus, reaction time, and ability to learn new skills.
DARPA has already used tDCS to reduce the time it takes to train new snipers
can go 100 miles on a charge or accelerate to 60 mph in less than 7 seconds, yet weigh only 2,700 pounds (1224 kg).
we get a reduction of 250-350 kilos [550-770 pounds] from carbon fiber
Coming to US next year
BMW has joined the textile maker’s alliance in Germany - they now make carbon fiber rather than sourcing it from a 3rd party
patent trolls finally getting slammed
Intel “enthusiast platform” versus “mainstream platform” how blurred is the line at this point? Quicksync, thunderbolt, higher speed RAM, SRT, more IO - all “mainstream” features??
NVIDIA SHIELD? - Dat ghetto shield
Best thing MS could do for Windows 9?
Boot into a screen that just shows the windows logo
Different colours on the logo are different modes
Options for default boot into any of those
Classic is basically windows 7 with enhanced functions like the new file transfer and task manager and multi screen support
Business mode is just encrypted classic mode
Entertainment mode is like xbmc or windows media center or somethjng
And touch mode is modern ui
“The NFC Ring can be used to unlock doors, mobile phones and to transfer information and link people.”
NFC Ring to... Do NFC stuff. Open door? Unlock phone? Your imagination is the limit! ...And NFC. NFC is also a limit.
Security issues? 22 pounds or 25 pounds for larger.
Does it matter when NSA is tapping into lines?
Do you believe them?
We know companies have been told in the past not to talk about it....
Boom - Checkmate phone companies.... okay maybe not, but still cool
8500mAH battery... just kinda big
< Community News Items >
- Performance much improved in Crossfire configurations
- software fix enabled by default
- does not help wtih multi monitor or 4K 60p displays due to tiling technology implementation
- Still BETA, but they did hit their “summer release” timeframe
6 Cops Show up to Question Homeowner about Pressure Cookers and Backpacks
- Introduce theselves, ask to be let in, ask to search the house, but don’t really search thoroughly
- another point added that apparently searches by her husband at work were also part of the criteria - TBH I don’t really see how that makes a diff
- Looks like many of the issues were caused by multiple people in the house searching for diff things.
- Apparently searches for “backpack bombs” were done on a work computer from a place that she got fired
- Huge amounts of misinformation floating around this case - whats going on?
Google restricts us of Fiber to Host Servers
- Article from the Verge seems to blow this completely out of proportion IMO
- I’m going to play devil’s advocate and argue that this is NOT a net neutrality thing
- It’s obvious that this BETA service does NOT have the backbone to support a bunch of jerks
- My ISP forbids running a server too, but they’ve turned a blind eye to the fact that I’ve hosted a website, and run a file server including nightly offsite syncs. I would expect Google to do the same.
- The example they give is you shouldn’t be running a VoD service out of your home or something stupid like that.
Samsung Cheating the Benchmarks?
- Well well well
- Denying it makes it 100x worse imo. At least AMD and NVIDIA have outright admitted to optimizations for benchmarks in the past. Neither of them has ever gone as far as to just ramp up the clock speed of their devices for certain apps though. Unreal.
- Claiming it’s power envelope related is kinda ridiculous. I doubt very much synthetic benches are pulling less power than actual games...
- This will have zero impact on sales
EVE Space Battle - $20,000 in ships lost
- Long campaign
Moscow Subway uses Devices to Read SIMs on Phones
- This comes after the vibrating windows that play commercials
- Important to clarify that they can’t just read whatever’s on your screen. More of a phone location (person location?) mechanism.
- Based on where the future is heading, there’s no way Tom Cruise would have gotten away from the Future Crimes folks in Minority Report. Fact is once again stranger than fiction.
Next Gen Google Glass Tech?
- Right now using Samsung AMOLED tech
- This demo is running very bright, but only one colour right now
- Amazing how quickly this tech is moving
- Will be something I can’t ignore likely within 5 years.
300GB Discs? Thanks Sony and Panasonic. I guess..
- Do we need optical anymore?
- What about cloud? What about VoD? What about... Anything else?
- And... Discuss...
This is awesome! We need this and more BDXL yesterday!
NVIDIA VR Device Prototype
- Oculus getting all the attention, but will they last on top?
- Incredibly cool, but blurry as all balls
- Need higher PPI displays and more power. There’s a reason NVIDIA is demoing this with simple models and Doom 3...
- Maybe in 5-10 years we can wear something lightweight that enables VR...
< Build Log of The Week >
< After Party >
Best quote “going ahead with it regardless of public opinion”