Need Help, Old Hard Drive in New PC?

Crys6x

I just finished building my first pc and everything is there except a hard drive. Can I take my old hard drive from one of my pre-built pcs and install it into my new build? If I can, how do I wipe/erase that old hard drive first? Thanks

I just finished building my first pc and everything is there except a hard drive. Can I take my old hard drive from one of my pre-built pcs and install it into my new build? If I can, how do I wipe/erase that old hard drive first? Thanks

Format or re-install the whole OS.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

While installing Windows (or whatever OS) there's an option to wipe the disk, then install.

Also, don't forget to follow your topics :) +Crys6x

While installing Windows (or whatever OS) there's an option to wipe the disk, then install.

Also, don't forget to follow your topics :) +Crys6x

You use google plus?

anyway you mean Follow your topics @Crys6x

You use google plus?

anyway you mean Follow your topics @Crys6x

Lol nice catch sorry

I put windows os into a flash drive. When I load up my new pc with the old hard drive, it loads up normally instead of trying to install windows. Would I need to go into BIOS and change boot priority to USB?

In that case, how would I access my BIOS? When my pc starts, it just goes to the black screen with the option start pc normally, start in safe mode(the usual options). I don't see a loading screen of my motherboard(I have a Gigabyte one) that tells me the directions of how to access my BIOS when I turn on my pc.

Hey Crys6x,

If you want to save any data from that drive I would suggest that you back it up first on another computer and then simply reformat it. This should delete the artition table and the data will basically be invisible for the OS and it will overwrite it with the new one. You can do this from another computer or from your new one from the OS installer. :)

Reusing old drives might be a bit risky so I would suggest to first run a diagnostic utility provide by the manufacturer so you can check the drive's health. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

as long as the new drive connects to the pc just put in the windows install disk and there are options there that allow you to wipe the old drive and install the os onto it