Finally bought a GTX 970

Hey guys just found a great deal on newegg for a 970 for $270 with a rebate. So I'm super excited haha. I was going to pull the trigger on a GTX 960 4 gb but im glad I waited. How much of a performance increase should I expect at 1080p from my old GTX 660 ti, which served me well for 3 years? I like AMD as well but because of my case, Alienware X51, I wasn't able to afford the extra power consumption of the R9 390. Not being biased here just went with Nvidia.

Congrats.

You should be seeing pretty much all games maxed out with 50+ FPS. (Except for poorly optimized titles)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Ye boi G1 970 here too ;)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Could you link the deal? Interested in possibly picking up a 970 aswell!

Thats a good deal man, you should save up some money and get a second one since the reference blower style cooler is really good when using SLI cards.

Thats a good deal man, you should save up some money and get a second one since the reference blower style cooler is really good when using SLI cards.

I wish I could bro. But my case is limited to only one gpu.

Hmm just saw you have an alienware case, once you upgrade to a bigger case then it could be a possibility!

Yes sir. I'm planning on building a new PC next summer and I'm sure Sli 970's will still be viable then. I haven't been this excited about a graphics card since I bought a 8800gt back in the day.

Yes sir. I'm planning on building a new PC next summer and I'm sure Sli 970's will still be viable then. I haven't been this excited about a graphics card since I bought a 8800gt back in the day.

For sure they will still be a kickass card, you've come a long way. These 2 970s are my first graphics cards ever. 

For sure they will still kick some AMD ass lol, you've come a long way. These 2 970s are my first graphics cards ever.

It can't even kick the ass of nearly two year old silicon, called R9 390. And by summer 2016 AMD would have released or preparing to release Arctic Islands, due in Q2-Q3 2016. And we still don't know how demanding games will be by then, especially when it cone to VRAM, I can nearly assure you that 3.5 gigs at 1440p in new AAA titles won't be enough in 2016.

It can't even kick the ass of nearly two year old silicon, called R9 390. And by summer 2016 AMD would have released or preparing to release Arctic Islands, due in Q2-Q3 2016. And we still don't know how demanding games will be by then, especially when it cone to VRAM, I can nearly assure you that 3.5 gigs at 1440p in new AAA titles won't be enough in 2016.

Good thing OP plays at 1080p in a console like case, that thing couldn't survive your rebrand.

But I do play at 1440p at @96Hz I didn't play at max settings when I had only 1 970 but with 2 in SLI it maxes out every game. And 4gb are still 4gb in 2015, maybe slower end 500mb but still it makes it 4gb.

Good thing OP plays at 1080p in a console like case, that thing couldn't survive your rebrand.

But I do play at 1440p at @96Hz I didn't play at max settings when I had only 1 970 but with 2 in SLI it maxes out every game. And 4gb are still 4gb in 2015, maybe slower end 500mb but still it makes it 4gb.

I'm not saying he shouldn've gotten the 390 because he has a tiny case, but stating absurd lies that the 970 will still keep "kicking AMD ass" in 2016 when it can't "kick AMD ass" in 2015. Now tell me more about how it maxes out GTA V and Shadow of Mordor at 1440p when it faces issues with both games at 1080p because of its 3.5 gigs of VRAM.

I'm not saying he shouldn've gotten the 390 because he has a tiny case, but stating absurd lies that the 970 will still keep "kicking AMD ass" in 2016 when it can't "kick AMD ass" in 2015. Now tell me more about how it maxes out GTA V and Shadow of Mordor at 1440p when it faces issues with both games at 1080p because of its 3.5 gigs of VRAM.

Well, I guess you own the card and you have faced issues I haven't not when I played at 1080p 144hz and not now with 1440p. I could link some benchmarks but I'm tired, I'm folding and I have to work tomorrow.