Apple says it has no plans to become a mobile carrier

The Pizza Thief

I think it is a shame, I liked the idea of a company such as Apple coming into the wireless network market, I think it would be interesting to see how they can come up with new ideas for the future of mobile connectivity. 

Original article from The Verge found here: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9094937/apple-denies-mobile-carrier-rumor

2012-09-12timcook-iphone5-24.0.jpg

One day after a Business Insider report claimed Apple is testing its own mobile wireless service, Apple is shutting the rumor down. In no uncertain terms, the company has told CNBC that it has not discussed and has no current plans to become an MVNO — the term used for companies that offer their own cellular service on existing mobile networks.

That strongly refutes the Business Insider story, which said that Apple had already begun testing of such a service in the United States and was working to finalize deals that would bring it to Europe. The report said Apple's MVNO wouldn't launch for at least five years, but Apple's response today is a pretty clear indication that the rumored project doesn't actually exist. If it did, the company's reaction would likely be one of silence.

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs had once expressed interesting in an Apple-branded mobile service in the lead up to the launch of iPhone, but the company ultimately determined it wasn't a viable path and instead has relied on traditional carriers since the phone's release in 2007.

Good and bad. Good because the mobile carrier space is restrictive and saturated so it wouldn't make sense for Apple but bad since what other company can you think of that could bully its way through the telecommunication giants.

They won't even let Verizon slap their giant "V" logo on their iPhones.

Good and bad. Good because the mobile carrier space is restrictive and saturated so it wouldn't make sense for Apple but bad since what other company can you think of that could bully its way through the telecommunication giants.

Exactly, that's why I got excited to read the rumors. I think it would be really interesting to see them start in the business and see their struggle to the top, then they would come out with their own TV network and then a line of cars, clothes etc.. xD 

For some reason I've been wondering if Apple has ever considered making a game console...

Nonetheless all US carriers kinda suck so we honestly could use one more IMO

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Guys, you probably didn't read the rumours carefully.

Apple didn't "plan" on becoming a new phone network, but rather to use the existing infrastructure of other networks, but with Apple services.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

For some reason I've been wondering if Apple has ever considered making a game console...

Apple did make a game console, the Apple Pippin, but it sucked.

Guys, you probably didn't read the rumours carefully.

Apple didn't "plan" on becoming a new phone network, but rather to use the existing infrastructure of other networks, but with Apple services.

Well I guess the verge didn't either cause look at the article.

They already had a console, a long time ago. I agree, we could sure use some more healthy competition in the US industry.

They need to become a carrier, because then they would only sell iPhones on their network, and it would take down the US Carrier monopoly and finally bring justice to US citizens who just want to use their phones without forking over a mortgage payment.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Wow I did not know that.. Interesting indeed.

They already had a console, a long time ago. I agree, we could sure use some more healthy competition in the US industry.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Probably a good thing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They have no interest in it, in the same way they "aren't making a car.... "

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

They have no interest in it, in the same way they "aren't making a car.... "

Pretty positive that in some years they will put their hands into more industries, call it automotive, wireless carriers, tv services, fashion etc.

They need to become a carrier, because then they would only sell iPhones on their network, and it would take down the US Carrier monopoly and finally bring justice to US citizens who just want to use their phones without forking over a mortgage payment.

they were going to use other carrier's networks 

Probably a good thing.

Why ?

And don't say cause reason s or another retarded response.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Apple did make a games console.

Why ?

And don't say cause reason s or another retarded response.

1. Overpriced hardware (so no doubt that a phone plan from them would cost an arm and a leg)

2. Egregious human rights violations. (yeah they aren't the only company, but they are damned sure big enough to do something about it)

They don't need any more money, they're already shady enough.

1. Overpriced hardware (so no doubt that a phone plan from them would cost an arm and a leg)

Actually they would most likely have a very cheap phone plan in order to push hardware, for example OSX upgrades are free, apples core programmes like Pages, Apeture etc (in the past obv) were cheap, and are now completely free etc, apple music family plan is cheap etc 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Actually they would most likely have a very cheap phone plan in order to push hardware, for example OSX upgrades are free, apples core programmes like Pages, Apeture etc (in the past obv) were cheap, and are now completely free etc, apple music family plan is cheap etc 

Perhaps.

Point still stands though, they don't need any more money. They need less if anything. They also need to stop working people in asia so hard that there becomes more of a financial incentive for that worker to hurl his or her self off of the top of the factory, rather than continuing to work for them.

Perhaps.

Point still stands though, they don't need any more money. They need less if anything. They also need to stop working people in asia so hard that there becomes more of a financial incentive for that worker to hurl his or her self off of the top of the factory, rather than continuing to work for them.

Not necessarily their fault, since they are not Apples factories, just factories contracted by the companies Apple uses to create its products

I doubt they have much choice since not many companies can fulfil their quota

Its not like Tim Cook is in the factory holding a gun at children's heads, he just says "oh hello screen company please can you make us 1000000 screens" and the screen company has its factories make them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not necessarily their fault, since they are not Apples factories, just factories contracted by the companies Apple uses to create its products

I doubt they have much choice since not many companies can fulfil their quota

Its not like Tim Cook is in the factory holding a gun at children's heads, he just says "oh hello screen company please can you make us 1000000 screens" and the screen company has its factories make them

With as much money as Apple has, they could certainly use the threat of going somewhere else to get some changes made to those factories. When you run a factory, you don't let a customer equal in size (monetarily) to oil companies just up and leave.

With as much money as Apple has, they could certainly use the threat of going somewhere else to get some changes made to those factories. When you run a factory, you don't let a customer equal in size (monetarily) to oil companies just up and leave.

There is nobody else to go to, and the companies know that

Apple have actually done a LOT of work to help these factories, and everyone just ignores that part

they even said ""The reality is that we find violations in every audit we have ever performed, no matter how sophisticated the company we're auditing. We find problems"

Wouldn't that just make Apple one big carrier without any choice, in other words another monopoly?