new pc

hi,

Im australian and I have a $700 max bugget for my new pc. It will be used for gaming and folding@home.

I could either have a 4460 and a 270 or a G3258 and a 280.

what should I do?

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

4460 definetly.

I've been in your position, and a quad core processor is way better than the pentium. If you want to save money for a better GPU, go with a cheap i3 processor AT LEAST.

If those are your only choices, 4460 and a 270.

Don't get the G3258. It might be cheap and tempting, but dual core CPUs is a terrible choice if you're thinking of keeping the PC for a while, especially now that DirectX12 will "finally" introduce better multicore support.

Some people will try and justify it by saying things like "oh but he can upgrade later on", sure you could, but by the time you get around to, Intel probably won't be making CPUs for your particular socket anymore, so then you're stuck with buying a CPU, a motherboard and possibly even RAM if your particular board at the moment is DDR3. While had you just went with Quad core in the first place, you'd only have the GPU to upgrade.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4460 definetly.

I've been in your position, and a quad core processor is way better than the pentium. If you want to save money for a better GPU, go with a cheap i3 processor AT LEAST.

Yeah pretty much this.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score