Graphics Card.

TRambo

a 290x. $60 cheaper than both and competes with both. otherwise a 390.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The 390 has better performance more vram and better XFire scaling than the 970 so I would go for that.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Should i get the R9 390 or GTX970? I won't be doing any 4k or any resolutions above 1080p. I might be doing some crossfire or sli in my system later in the future. Heres my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TRambo/saved/

If not planning to go to higher resolutions aka crossfire the cards a gtx 970 all the way

As it is way better overclocked and I love mine

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

Whatever is cheaper*, but if you are concered about the future i'd go with the 390.

Which ever you buy won't make a difference in 1080p, they are both about the same on terms of performance.

EDIT: Wtf did I type...

390 has better performance while 970 has lower power consumption

Both are great cards, and very comparable.  I would get whichever you can find on sale.  290x is also comparable, and could be on sale for cheaper.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

if you plan on sli i would get the 390 because of the vram and slightly better performance

I had the same debate while I was building my computer. I decided to go with the 390 because it has more Vram for the same price. I must be honnest, I don't really know why it matters, but I feel like it might be important in the future. Also, I heard that modding games often eats up your Vram. As I'll probably be modding Fallout 4 and older games, I thought it was a better choice.

I had an Nvidia and I enjoyed their softwares, but It thought that it would be a good idea to try AMD.

I don't think you'll regret either, but for the money, it seems 390 may get you a little more than the 970!

Have fun choosing!