Can the Nvidia SLI Bridge LED be modded white?

LosssLesss

So, I am about to build my first PC with sli 980s. The theme is black and white, and I want to mod the 980s by sanding off the green to reveal a white LED underneath instead, like this. I am curious to know whether the NVIDIA SLI Bridge can be modded to match. Does anybody own this bridge, or know how the LED is colored green (like, is it green paint or rubber)? 

dunno. but you should join the club when you build it! :D

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Go for a 980 Ti if you can! Soon it'll be like 690 vs 780, the 690 was stronger but had less vram so everyone was advised to go for a 780.

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

Someone changed the green lights on the Titan Black to white by sand-papering the surface of the paint because white LEDs were behind it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/127424-geforce-gtx-logo-mod/

Not sure if it would be applicable to this tho.

Evga also seems to have SLI briges which look nice (Evga Pro SLI Bridge and Evga Pro SLI Bridge V2), they have white LEDS against black plastic and brushed aluminium.

v1: http://www.eteknix.com/evga-releases-their-pro-sli-bridges/

v2: https://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=14

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

Go for a 980 Ti if you can! Soon it'll be like 690 vs 780, the 690 was stronger but had less vram so everyone was advised to go for a 780.

Yes I would love to. However, this was my GPU selection process:

1. I was originally going to go with a 970 because I thought it was the best price per performance, and I'm a poor college student.
  2. Then I decided on a 960 since I probably didn't even need that much power because I'm only playing GW2 on 1080p.
  3. Then I said "wow those reference cards modded white would look sexy in my build" so I went w/ a reference 770, cheaper, sexier, and better than a 960.
  4. Then I got two reference 980s for less than $500, and now I'm shopping for a 4k monitor and new games. 

So unfortunately, a 980ti is a bit out of my reach. I guess I could sell both the 980s and get one, but idk that'd be a hassle and the price per performance i'm getting out of these cards is really unbeatable imo

dunno. but you should join the club when you build it! :D

I definitely will!

The EVGA bridge can be modded for white LEDs

Hmm that looks nice. Might be my only option... thanks @ELSknutson and @NeatSquidYT

stuff

Yeah I'm doing the led mod on the 980s too. I like the EVGA one, but prefer the Nvidia one. 

what specific bridge do you plan on useing?

I'd like to use the Nvidia one I linked in the first post. Ideally, I'd take it apart, plastidip the silver white and sand down the green to reveal a white LED. 

I'd like to use the Nvidia one I linked in the first post. Ideally, I'd take it apart, plastidip the silver white and sand down the green to reveal a white LED.

That is made the same way that nvidia makes its graphics cards so to take off the black cover its just 4 small allen screws and that comes off and the whole light piece comes out and you can either sand it and paint it or just sand it the light underneath the bridge is white.

similar to this video

http://youtu.be/HyDxXhkh7EY

That is made the same way that nvidia makes its graphics cards so to take off the black cover its just 4 small allen screws and that comes off and the whole light piece comes out and you can either sand it and paint it or just sand it the light underneath the bridge is white.

similar to this video

utoob

unfortunately, I don't think I can get that one anyway because the spacing is fucked up with my mobo. I think I'll have to go with the evga.

So, I am about to build my first PC with sli 980s. The theme is black and white, and I want to mod the 980s by sanding off the green to reveal a white LED underneath instead, like this. I am curious to know whether the NVIDIA SLI Bridge can be modded to match. Does anybody own this bridge, or know how the LED is colored green (like, is it green paint or rubber)? 

JayzTwoCents on YouTube has a tutorial on how to mod LED lights on SLI bridges I believe :)

CPU: Core i7 4790k - CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - GPU: Asus GTX 980Ti - Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming - Ram: 20GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Storage: ADATA 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD & WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM - PSU: NZXT Hale90 V2 1000W Gold+ - Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo Black Exterior/White Interior - Display: Samsung 29" Curved Ultra Wide - Keyboard & Mouse: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate & Roccat Tyon - Sound: Razer Kraken USB Headphones, Blue Yeti, Logitech z313 Speakers

unfortunately, I don't think I can get that one anyway because the spacing is fucked up with my mobo. I think I'll have to go with the evga.

how do you mean the spaces are messed up Is it too long or too short?

I would say yes, but you might need to be handy with a soldering iron, and since its probably SMD, it could be difficult.

how do you mean the spaces are messed up Is it too long or too short?

I would be in the same situation as this guy because I am using this mobo

I would say yes, but you might need to be handy with a soldering iron, and since its probably SMD, it could be difficult.

yea, not happening haha... This is my first build, so I think i'll just go with the EVGA sli brid

yea, not happening haha... This is my first build, so I think i'll just go with the EVGA sli brid

Well, if you can post a pic of the LED I could tell you whats involved. Its possible it could still be two leads through the PCB, in which case it would super simple.

They make a spaced version

Watch the video.. The spaced version is the same length as the 3-way, and it's still too long. 

I definitely will!

Hmm that looks nice. Might be my only option... thanks @ELSknutson and @NeatSquidYT.

Yeah I'm doing the led mod on the 980s too. I like the EVGA one, but prefer the Nvidia one.

I have the V2 bridge and its stock configuration is white LEDS so you don't have to mod it at all.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System