Need some guidance with this build. Help me!

Kroftyy

Hi guys,

Firstly, let's get some basics out of the way. This PC will be an upgrade for me from my current laptop. I'm building it primarily for gaming. The main game I play is League of a Legends, as well as other non taxing games such as Minecraft, Diablo 3, WoW etc. However, I would also like it to play AAA games. The state of my current laptop has meant I have played all recent titles on my Xbox rather than PC. My budget is $1500 AUD. I understand this budget can include a nice graphics card such as a 390 or 970, but I have opted to go the cheaper 380 so that other parts are of higher quality, where I would of had to cheap out if going with a better card.

I believe this way is better as it means all parts are on par, and the GPU can be upgraded in the future. For now, I only plan on playing on the one 1080p monitor. Here is the build I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/k4Hd7P

Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/k4Hd7P/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($266.00 @ IJK)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.00 @ IJK)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.00 @ IJK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.00 @ IJK)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($349.00 @ IJK)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.00 @ PLE Computers)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.00 @ CPL Online)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($119.00)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.00 @ IJK)

Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($190.00 @ IJK)

Other: Antivirus ($15.00)

Total: $1489.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-04 18:03 AEST+1000

Just a couple notes: Some people have said this PSU is rather crappy... I don't see how this is true, but I don't have much knowledge, so correct me if need be. Also, all parts need to be available at IJK here in Australia, as I am buying from the one shop.

In advance, I appreciate any effort put into a response.

Thanks,

Kroftyy

I would get a R9 280x instead of the R9 380

The motherboard is expensive and a cheaper one will do the job as well as that one (Get a Z97 though)

I would get a K series CPU so it can be overclocked 

The motherboard is expensive and a cheaper one will do the job as well as that one (Get a Z97 though)

Why a 280x? Then he'd have dx11.
Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

and? anyway what game uses DX12?

anyway the R9 280x is better than a R9 380 (which is a rebadged R9 285)

Your wrong anyway, the 280x will have dx12

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/130785-will-r9-280x-support-dx12/

It'll support it a little. You won't be able to initiate all the dx12 settings...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

It'll support it a little. You won't be able to initiate all the dx12 settings...

?????????

Supported means supported.

Something is not supported unless it works.

Would can't say docx format word documents are supported by Notepad because it opens the raw text.

It has to be fully compatible 

The 280x isn't readily available in Australia. Hardly anywhere has it stocked anymore. I would get a Z series and K CPU if my budget allowed it...

Nothing wrong with that PSU, it's not great, but for what you are looking at it's decent.  It's the best at that price or below.

The only thing I'm wondering about is why the wireless adapter?  It's a PC, you aren't really going places with it and it's going to have to be attached to a wall in some form from the power cord alone.  Running one more cable for your internet woun't matter much.  If you are thinking about wireless peripherals, I don't know about your ISPs in Australia, but here the modems function as routers as well and you can wirelessly connect to whatever you want.

The 280x isn't readily available in Australia. Hardly anywhere has it stocked anymore. I would get a Z series and K CPU if my budget allowed it...

On new egg there is a r9 290 for cheap,

I'll send you the link

EDIT - They are sold out!!!

and this motherboard is cheaper and i only look at one site (H97)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27590

Nothing wrong with that PSU, it's not great, but for what you are looking at it's decent.  It's the best at that price or below.

The only thing I'm wondering about is why the wireless adapter?  It's a PC, you aren't really going places with it and it's going to have to be attached to a wall in some form from the power cord alone.  Running one more cable for your internet woun't matter much.  If you are thinking about wireless peripherals, I don't know about your ISPs in Australia, but here the modems function as routers as well and you can wirelessly connect to whatever you want.

Yeah I have a modem/router here as well. Issue is this: my computer will be in my room. The router is connected in a cupboard across the hall. The main hall of the house. I can't exactly have a cord running across it.

Yeah I have a modem/router here as well. Issue is this: my computer will be in my room. The router is connected in a cupboard across the hall. The main hall of the house. I can't exactly have a cord running across it.

You can't have your ISP move it?  Or are there other PCs tethering it down?