Yahoo websites tried to infect millions of people's computers with malware

jos

Advertising across Yahoo's biggest websites - Yahoo.com, and its sports, celebrity, finance and games sites - is being exploited by a cybercrime group looking to infect people's computers with malware. malvertising attacks make use of exploit kits in an attempt to redirect victims to a website with malware. Often the site infects a computer with ransomware, which locks a user out of their device unless they pay a fee to the hackers in order to regain access. The campaign on the Yahoo ad tech and e-planning networks began on July 28.

• www.yahoo.com | 6.9B monthly visits
  • news.yahoo.com308.50M monthly visits
  • finance.yahoo.com | 135M monthly visits
  • sports.yahoo.com | 112.50M monthly visits
  • celebrity.yahoo.com | 66.60M monthly visits
  • games.yahoo.com | 43.40M monthly visits

has anyone in the forum got infected.. Missing this kind of major attack is bad considering how big yahoo is..

Source: https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2015/08/large-malvertising-campaign-takes-on-yahoo/

And this is why Adblock is a good thing (I'm guessing?)

This is where it can do some real good.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Malwarebytes anti-exploit would be a wise download.

Well, yahoo is only around because of shady practices so this should be nothing new.

The site gets a lot of its view, the search engine at least, because yahoo is in cahoots with so many groups that quietly change your default search engine and homepage to them. That and I've personally had tons of malware that redirects me to yahoo any time i tried using google or bing. So, I'd honestly like to see yahoo snuffed out, purely for that reason, but this could actually pose a legitimate threat for their business. Good.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Its not adblock as such, any good antivirus should block the malware.   Saying that, antivirus software picks up approximately 20% of all malware.  So, a bit of a hit or miss. 

Malwarebytes anti-exploit would be a wise download.

Or EMET.  In fact, totally Emet.  Emet is wayy awesome and I love the customizability too. Its also made by microsoft, you should try it out.  

Well, yahoo is only around because of shady practices so this should be nothing new.

The site gets a lot of its view, the search engine at least, because yahoo is in cahoots with so many groups that quietly change your default search engine and homepage to them. That and I've personally had tons of malware that redirects me to yahoo any time i tried using google or bing. So, I'd honestly like to see yahoo snuffed out, purely for that reason, but this could actually pose a legitimate threat for their business. Good.

True, Yahoo is a bit of an asshole at times but at the same time its a whole different ball game trying to prevent an infection that has been spreading for a while from a seemingly legit website. 

I personally use Norton and Emet and my router is a whole different story, I used to use an Asus router running DDWRT which was a very good custom firmware for my router.  But, now am running the Linksys WRT1900ac which works fine too.  

Security is multi-layered.  Not, just one layer.  

Well I use yahoo mail... with about 6 different adblocking plugins on Chrome. And I can even use them to select elements to block to make shit sites look good.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Wait, this is why my Firefox threw a Potential security risk warning when I accidentally did a search with Yahoo.  I thought it was just Firefox being dumb, I use uBlock and Noscript anyways

Flash and all that juju is blocked on my FF install anyway. I only enable flash for Speedtest. These guys tried

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I legitimately thought more people knew about this... It has been a thing for months...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.