GPU sideways H440

_Mish
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

-SNIP-

This should probably be under the modding section

I've seen it done before and it looks pretty good as long as it's mounted securely, in the H440 it should still be doable but a bit tight on space. What others have done is utilize the area between the PCI-E slots and the edge of the case modding a dual PCI-E slot and hooking it up with a PCI-E extension cable.

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-p-701.html?osCsid=qc0tl113kkk70g2vllvu1fuh22

Hey everyone!

Was thinking of doing some modding to my NZXT H440 and had some ideas...

I am going to get my side panel (acrylic) engraved, and thought to myself, why not go full out?

I have been reading around about having a pci e riser (?) so that you can turn the GPU on its side, so the full beauty of the card can be exposed.

Oviously, this would be difficult due to the brackets for the card not lining up (duh) with the gpu in its new position...

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this / there is something I can do to try and have the GPU supported in its sideway position... without it looking too sketchy...

THANKS GUYS!

I guess it could look good.. but at the same time it could suck. Just depends on the outcome.. cut the slots, support the card and then rise it. Cables are also to be considered..

I personally think it's not a good idea in the H440 since that case is based on an isolated mainboard to show off core-components. when you tilt the GPU you make it much larger - thats not really improving looks in a case that focusses on details imo.

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

-SNIP-

I've seen it done before and it looks pretty good as long as it's mounted securely, in the H440 it should still be doable but a bit tight on space. What others have done is utilize the area between the PCI-E slots and the edge of the case modding a dual PCI-E slot and hooking it up with a PCI-E extension cable.

http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-p-701.html?osCsid=qc0tl113kkk70g2vllvu1fuh22

I do apologize... Should I move the thread?

EDIT: Thanks for the great info. That would definitely work! Just there are SSD slots in the way (On top of the PSU shroud...).

I would probably have to find a good way to mount the PCI E bracket onto the shroud if I wanted.... Getting the PCI E cable down to the bottom wouldnt be a problem!

I do apologize... Should I move the thread?

EDIT: Thanks for the great info. That would definitely work! Just there are SSD slots in the way (On top of the PSU shroud...).

I would probably have to find a good way to mount the PCI E bracket onto the shroud if I wanted.... Getting the PCI E cable down to the bottom wouldnt be a problem!

It's be best to make the cutout and probably rivet or bolt it into place to make sure it doesn't move at all since it's holding up the weight of the entire GPU or have a little somethign support the far end.

It's be best to make the cutout and probably rivet or bolt it into place to make sure it doesn't move at all since it's holding up the weight of the entire GPU or have a little somethign support the far end.

I agree... Would there be any worry about shorting out the card considering the bracket for the GPU to sit on would be directly connected to the PSU shroud?

I might go ahead and move this to modding... Might have a little more help! Thanks so much!

I agree... Would there be any worry about shorting out the card considering the bracket for the GPU to sit on would be directly connected to the PSU shroud?

I might go ahead and move this to modding... Might have a little more help! Thanks so much!

Well as long as contacts on the PCB aren't touch anything it would be fine, I would measure and make sure there is enough room first and clearance before jumping straight in.