Trying to build my dream setup but I know nothing about cases

bismarzk_zero

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on building a computer from scratch to get back into gaming after a 5-year hiatus. These are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($478.32 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.88 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($398.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($185.96 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($128.75 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($128.75 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.50 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($124.99 @ Memory Express)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($863.17 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2785.27

I was hoping I could get some recommendations on some well reviewed casings, ideal for 2-way SLi 980 Ti's and a liquid cooler for the CPU.

Personally I would prefer the case to be as small as possible without many HDD racks that would never be used. Front CD/DVD drives are optional.

I was recommended the Fractal Design Define S but was wondering if there are any other good options for me?

Thank you very much for any help.

define s is a good case but its mainly used for custom loops

you could probably get a case with some drive bays (define r5 maybe?) since you use an AIO liquid cooler

nevermind you said you dont want drive bays

i guess define s could work

but it will look kind of empty on the right side tho

unless you are willing to do an entry level custom liquid cooling loop?

Get a H110i GT for the cooler (GT not the GTX version).

The Define S is great. For better airflow, go with an R5 it's virtually the same thing. 

Also an H440 looks good too. 

Thanks for the cooler tip, I'll switch it up. You have a great rig, it's exactly what I'm trying to build. Makes me wonder if I'm choosing the right motherboard and RAM (latency).

After looking at all the cases, I think the H440 looks the greatest, I actually don't mind the drive cages since they're hidden. Would've been nice to have an optical drive slot but oh well, I'll buy an external one for the occasional cd-rom that comes once every year. Gonna choose the H440 now.

define s is a good case but its mainly used for custom loops

you could probably get a case with some drive bays (define r5 maybe?) since you use an AIO liquid cooler

nevermind you said you dont want drive bays

i guess define s could work

but it will look kind of empty on the right side tho

unless you are willing to do an entry level custom liquid cooling loop?

That was a really good pointer about the how empty the Fractal Define S looks without a water cooling system. It made me look up the dimensions and I realized the Define S is not very much smaller than the R5 or the H440, which was what led me to choose it in the first place.

I don't think I'll consider a serious water cooling build, I was hoping for something easy to setup.

That was a really good pointer about the how empty the Fractal Define S looks without a water cooling system. It made me look up the dimensions and I realized the Define S is not very much smaller than the R5 or the H440, which was what led me to choose it in the first place.

I don't think I'll consider a serious water cooling build, I was hoping for something easy to setup.

you could try a kit from ekwb

https://shop.ekwb.com/kits

custom loops are usually more expensive btw