New parts will make your free windows 10 upgrade invalidate itself, so i have some questions if anyone knows the answer to.

Ive seena post where someone spoke to a Microsoft employee, and they said even if you change a single stick of RAM, it will in-validate windows if you used the FREE UPGRADE, as in going from windows 7 or 8 (8.1). It is technically "making it a new computer" said the employee.

So i have a question. If i was to purchase windows 10 from a retail store, if i were to upgrade parts will it in-validate?

That can't be true. That 100% goes against what they are trying to do with the free upgrade idea. The license is suppose to be to you, not the hardware you are running. If this is true, Microsoft will have a lot of hate coming their way very quickly.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Doesnt seem like a trustful source.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

i see MS has 2 options.

1.  cut the bs

2. I pirate cause im not dealing with it.

doesn't seem right as they let you upgrade and keep the os. gabe aul i think said you can upgarde hardware as well. 

Ive seena post where someone spoke to a Microsoft employee, and they said even if you change a single stick of RAM, it will in-validate windows if you used the FREE UPGRADE, as in going from windows 7 or 8 (8.1). It is technically "making it a new computer" said the employee.

So i have a question. If i was to purchase windows 10 from a retail store, if i were to upgrade parts will it in-validate?

I'm not sure how much I believe that ram thing, seems like the techs aren't all that well informed.  But I digress, assuming Windows 10 is like other versions of Windows it should only invalidate if you change something like the CPU or motherboard, and in that case you should be able to call Microsoft and they'll fix it for you.  Or it just wont invalidate like my Windows 7 copy that I've installed on two computers....

soooo..

windows 10 uses a new activation mechanism

it registers your computer specs and other unique id's in its database and checks every time you connect to the internet to see if they match

it doesnt use the old product key mothod anymore

so if you replace the hardware, the specs on your computer changes and it will no longer match the one in their database and windows 10 will become deactivated

I think that'll only be the case for mobo's and HDD's since you actually need to reinstall windows. Since you don't need to reïnstall windows to upgrade GPU or RAM it would be absolutely retarded if you'd have to buy a new license (It's still retarded with the HDD and Mobo though).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I would wait and see til someone actually tries to change a video card on a windows 10 system to see how true it is...half the time these tech guys are wording things wrong, misunderstanding or just flat out wrong with alot of these the public is not entirely sure things

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Just throwing it out there, this may not be true for the disk copies you can buy sooner or later, but for free upgrades, that might be what will happen.

Disk copies in the future may still come with the keys given in past windows copies

This employee might be talking about HDD and SSD, because you would be able to get windows 7 and 8 back by re installing, bust not windows 10, you would have to go through the whole process again, unless it says "Wait you already used it, so you cant get a free upgrade again haha looserrrr"

But hey, its not proven yet

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

What about RETAIL versions? I bought 8.1 Pro and I should be able to activate W10 on different computers (well, if different hardware)! For OEM I understand, but not for retail!

OEM is tied to the current computer it's running on. Retail is tied to the user. That means when you build a brand new computer and you reinstall 8.1 and upgrade to win10, because you have a retail key, your win10 should still get activated because, retail keys can be transfer to as many new computers as you like, as long as it's only running on just 1 computer. Have 3 computers using that same key, then you'll have to buy additional license rights for the other 2 computers it's running on.  Unless the additional license rights is cheaper, easier method is to just buy Windows 10. Retail Win10 pro cost $199.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I would like to reference to this, since a few of us actually spoke to the MS-Support:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/421625-license-key-after-win-10-upgrade/

So... After you Upgrade to Win 10 your License will be tied to your Hardware, which means your mainboard. You can change everything except that.

And yes, this is even true for the upgraded Win7/8 retail-licenses. I tried it: It won't activate with another mainboard. You can always go back and install your original win7/8.1 retail on the pc. As long as the free upgrade-period is still active, you will be able to upgrade again. But that's it guys...

If your mainboard dies in a year from now, you are back to whatever you had running before win 10 ;) And you have to do a full reinstall...

If you buy a retail-license of Windows 10, you can change your hardware as much as you want. Just like it was with windows 7 and 8. This "hardware"-limitations only apply for the upgraded versions.

If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

Well, no. I've tried it, it doesn't work. So I contacted Microsoft and they said, I should re-install my Windows 7 retail and  do the upgrade again.

So I asked if this will be possible, if the free uprade-period is over. The answer was clear: No.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

I would like to reference to this, since a few of us actually spoke to the MS-Support:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/421625-license-key-after-win-10-upgrade/

So... After you Upgrade to Win 10 your License will be tied to your Hardware, which means your mainboard. You can change everything except that.

And yes, this is even true for the upgraded Win7/8 retail-licenses. I tried it: It won't activate with another mainboard. You can always go back and install your original win7/8.1 retail on the pc. As long as the free upgrade-period is still active, you will be able to upgrade again. But that's it guys...

If your mainboard dies in a year from now, you are back to whatever you had running before win 10 ;) And you have to do a full reinstall...

If you buy a retail-license of Windows 10, you can change your hardware as much as you want. Just like it was with windows 7 and 8. This "hardware"-limitations only apply for the upgraded versions.

Well, no. I've tried it, it doesn't work. So I contacted Microsoft and they said, I should re-install my Windows 7 retail and  do the upgrade again.

So I asked if this will be possible, if the free uprade-period is over. The answer was clear: No.

I'd like to mention that I also have contacted MS-Support and the answer I was given on my issue was almost certainly incorrect so I wouldn't take what they say as the be all and end all.