HP Omen or Alienware?

Ryou-kun

Hello LTT,

Right now, I am getting a bit heated argument with my friend about a gaming laptop that is going to purchase. He isn't a techy savvy either, so he is listening to other people like his sister who isn't a techy savvy either nor know what she is talking about. 

<.< I hate it when you give them good suggestion, but they would rather listen to someone who doesn't know much about computers.

Anyway, why Alienware and HP over other brands?

I did list a lot of gaming laptops within his price: $1000.

ASUS ROG 15/17

Lenovo Y50/Y70

Alienware 13/15/17

HP Omen 15 (yeah, I did ...)

Acer Nitro (yeah ....)

MSI 15"/17"

SAGER/Clevo 15"/17"

Anyway, I narrow him down to three gaming laptops, Alienware 13 or 15, ASUS 15 or Lenovo Y50, and I narrow it down even further by going for Alienware. Why Alienware? Because Dell's Coupon deal, you get a free 32" TV, lol. I know, there is going to be a lot of hate comments saying how Alienware is overpriced. I know. Just that, it seem like a best bet for him.

What he does? Mostly Gaming, Streaming, etc. 

Stationary? Yeah, but he did mention about using it on a bed or couch while lying down ... which you shouldn't do...

Durable? Yeah ... he asked me "withstanding a fall damage" and wanted a "case" for a gaming laptop.

-sigh-

Alienware 15 w/ LG/SAMSUNG 32" 720p HDTV

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-15/pd?oc=dksof03&model_id=alienware-15

HP Omen 15 

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/omen-15-204076--1#!&TabName=features

Benchmark between GTX 970m and GTX 860m GPU.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970M-vs-GeForce-GTX-860M

Anyway, he decide to research the goods and bad on both Alienware and HP.

Anyone got an opinion about this? Yeah, we are still sticking with Alienware 15 and apparently HP Omen 15 -sigh-

Thank you very much, LTT. 

Alien because 970m

that being said im off the opinion gaming laptops are stupid and he should just make a desktop.

id say lenovo but that is an absurd laptop size.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Agree with @SkywardKkalox

GPU boss sucks

ROG laptops (espassality the G751 series) are great and come in most price ranges.

Please refrain from using sites like GPU boss or CPUboss in the future, they just plain suck.

I'd honestly go for the ROG one or the Lenovo y70, the alienware one and the HP one are just plain overpriced.

Sorry, I didn't know which is a better benchmark site. :S

I guess Notebookcheck?

Why not though?

Alien because 970m

that being said im off the opinion gaming laptops are stupid and he should just make a desktop.

id say lenovo but that is an absurd laptop size.

That is what I told him to build a PC, and he keep saying it is his "dream laptop."

alien ware because you will have the ability to use a desktop graphics card

That is what I told him to build a PC, and he keep saying it is his "dream laptop."

Some people just want portability at any cost.

HTID

The Alienware is very overpriced, but it is good. Just bare in mind you'll (He'll) find cheaper specs elsewhere.

If he doesn't give a damn about the price, he can get an Alienware!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

The Alienware is very overpriced, but it is good. Just bare in mind you'll (He'll) find cheaper specs elsewhere.

If he doesn't give a damn about the price, he can get an Alienware!

I know he will. Just that, Alienware 15 will get him a free TV so I think it is worth having a free TV, lol.

What he does? Mostly Gaming, Streaming, etc. 

Streaming? Livestreaming? As in *opens OBS and hits "start streaming" and plays games*?

If so, he'd better spend a bit more and get a good Clevo.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Streaming? Livestreaming? As in *opens OBS and hits "start streaming" and plays games*?

If so, he'd better spend a bit more and get a good Clevo.

Oh, I mean Netflix,

Oh. Then that's fine, continue with your discussions

Well, for me, I find it funny how he wanted a laptop case and a laptop that can withstand a fall drop.

Even though i told him to buy an accidental warranty if he is worried about it or take good care of a $1000 dollar laptop.

Laptops are overated.

^ This

unless business/work is keeping him from being home more then a week at a time there is no point to a gaming grade laptop as far as im concerned.

Should just get a cheap windows laptop and make a proper gaming rig..he will probably still end up spending less then that alienware plus have a more portable laptop that he (might) be able to steam stream too.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

^ This

unless business/work is keeping him from being home more then a week at a time there is no point to a gaming grade laptop as far as im concerned.

Should just get a cheap windows laptop and make a proper gaming rig..he will probably still end up spending less then that alienware plus have a more portable laptop that he (might) be able to steam stream too.

Well, you know how these people are. They aren't going to listen to you no matter what you say.

They are going to listen to their friends who has no experience on PC over you who has experience on it.

-sigh- 

I am aware of that. Gaming PC will be much cheaper and he can possibly grab an ultrabook with the remaining cash, but you know ...

Well, you know how these people are. They aren't going to listen to you no matter what you say.

They are going to listen to their friends who has no experience on PC over you who has experience on it.

-sigh- 

I am aware of that. Gaming PC will be much cheaper and he can possibly grab an ultrabook with the remaining cash, but you know ...

Ya I hear you, thats where I draw the line though. He wants to go make a dumb choice based on what others are telling him whatever.i let em waste the money and realize they did a stupid thing. No point stressing out over it when hes not willing to listen.

System Specs

I work at BBY and we have both on hand. From the experience of playing with it day to day and customers who have actually used it as a daily driver, the HP Omen is great computer without even considering the fact that she is a beast. The older models did run a little loud but the update to 5th gen and 9 series fixed that. That's what'd I would do all day.. (Even over the ASUS)

Laptops are overated.

Not true at all, gaming laptops are perfectly capable, ive owned many of them over the years and continue to keep buying them

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Capable they are, but there are better options for an in-home use PC.

True. Like I said, my friend isn't going to listen to me about gaming PC and prefer a gaming laptop.

Ya I hear you, thats where I draw the line though. He wants to go make a dumb choice based on what others are telling him whatever.i let em waste the money and realize they did a stupid thing. No point stressing out over it when hes not willing to listen.

Oh, he did it before when he first bought his laptop when he asked for my help.

He was rushing to buy a laptop that can play a lot of games even though I told him to wait until Black Friday or Christmas because he can get a better deals for it.

I decide to help him out, and it was few years ago when AMD APU laptop is pretty good compare to Intel. Don't twist what I said. I said, "few years ago AMD APU laptops were really good compare to Intel." I suggest him one of Acer laptop that had AMD APU and GPU that he can AMD APU XFire to get more performance. Yes, Acer, but I have no choice.

I found one on Amazon with exact specs. He decide to find one on Amazon and copied half of the model number and bought a WRONG Acer laptop.

It is lower end without any GPU thus he can't game for crap. Well, maybe a little bit still worse compare to an actual AMD APU XFire.

All because he want it to be cheap ...

Now ... he is about to do it the same sooner or later. Apparently, he hasn't learn his lesson yet.

Oh well, I think he will once he realize he spend a freaking $1000 dollar and didn't get his month worth.

Capable they are, but there are better options for an in-home use PC.

Obviously its not for "in home" use....its for taking around

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm glad none of you guys suggest HP Omen even though I do agree Asus RoG, Sager/Clevo, Lenovo, MSI and/or Alienware (maybe?).

Well, I'm going to encourage him to buy crappy gaming laptop then it break and shove it in his face.

I'm already frustrated with these type of people.

Funny enough, he just got a job, and he started to think about buying his "dream gaming laptop" even though it will take him roughly half a year or a year.

Again, thanks for the help guys.