Win7 - User Profile Cannot be Loaded

Go to solution Solved by Max Dyba,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

Yep, it looks like there are some regedits that can fix the issue, but you may still wind up needing to create yourself a new local user and transfer the data over. 

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8070/how-to-fix-a-windows-vista-or-7-corrupt-user-profile-the-user-profile-service-failed

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215? 

Greetings!

A few days ago, when I went to boot into Windows, I got an error upon login, stating that "The User Profile Service service failed the login. User Profile cannot be loaded" and it kicks me back to the login screen. There is only one account on this install, and that is my main acount (yes, its an admin, and yes, I know that's bad practice.) Unfortunately, I see no way to create another account. The login screen has no appearent option to do so, and when I booting into Safe Mode, I didn't see the control to add a new account (but I was able to run in safe mode) This could simply be my ignorance, since I barely ever have to do anything on that front.

I would like to avoid a wipe and reinstall if at all possible, because I am currently dual-booting between Windows 7 and Linux Mint, and reinstalling Windows would most likely give me trouble getting the boot manager to work properly. I rather like the simplicity of GRUB, and I don't trust Microsoft's products for anything mission-critical. I am currently writing this while on the computer in question, but within Linux Mint, which remains unaffected by the current situation (obviously.)

As per the posting guidelines, here are my specs:

Dell Latitude E65303rd gen Intel® CoreTM i5-3340M Processor (2.7GHz, 3M cache, Upgradableto Intel® vProTM technology)Windows 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English15.6” HD+ (1600x900) Wide View Anti-Glare WLED-backlitNVIDIA® NVSTM 5200M (GDDR5 1GB) Discrete Graphic with Optimus16.0GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMSLight Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic256GB Mobility Solid State Drive8X DVD+/-RWIntel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 802.11n 2x2 Half Mini Card

However, I currently have the DVD drive replaced with a second 256GB SSD which will find its home in my new desktop once I have all the parts to build it. That SSD is just extra storage and doesn't contain any actual system files, except for a copy of my user directory that I made this morning while in Safe Mode (I copied the entire C://Users/Trainguyrom/ directory as a backup.)

Inside the spoiler is a photo of the error. Since I do not yet own a capture card, and I don't know of any way to screenshot the login screen, a crappy point-a-camera-at-the-screen-and-snap-a-photo method seemed to be the best choice, and I have not resized the image because that may make it difficult to read. The photo really doesn't reveal much that I haven't already mentioned, but its there for posterity.

(4272x2848 pixels - 9.9MB. You have been warned...)

VSLwmN1.jpg

Any help would be greatly-appreciated.

-Train

Greetings!

A few days ago, when I went to boot into Windows, I got an error upon login, stating that "The User Profile Service service failed the login. User Profile cannot be loaded" and it kicks me back to the login screen. There is only one account on this install, and that is my main acount (yes, its an admin, and yes, I know that's bad practice.) Unfortunately, I see no way to create another account. The login screen has no appearent option to do so, and when I booting into Safe Mode, I didn't see the control to add a new account (but I was able to run in safe mode) This could simply be my ignorance, since I barely ever have to do anything on that front.

I would like to avoid a wipe and reinstall if at all possible, because I am currently dual-booting between Windows 7 and Linux Mint, and reinstalling Windows would most likely give me trouble getting the boot manager to work properly. I rather like the simplicity of GRUB, and I don't trust Microsoft's products for anything mission-critical. I am currently writing this while on the computer in question, but within Linux Mint, which remains unaffected by the current situation (obviously.)

Dell Latitude E65303rd gen Intel® CoreTM i5-3340M Processor (2.7GHz, 3M cache, Upgradableto Intel® vProTM technology)Windows 7 Professional, No Media, 64-bit, English15.6” HD+ (1600x900) Wide View Anti-Glare WLED-backlitNVIDIA® NVSTM 5200M (GDDR5 1GB) Discrete Graphic with Optimus16.0GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMSLight Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic256GB Mobility Solid State Drive8X DVD+/-RWIntel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 802.11n 2x2 Half Mini Card

However, I currently have the DVD drive replaced with a second 256GB SSD which will find its home in my new desktop once I have all the parts to build it. That SSD is just extra storage and doesn't contain any actual system files, except for a copy of my user directory that I made this morning while in Safe Mode (I copied the entire C://Users/Trainguyrom/ directory as a backup.)

Inside the spoiler is a photo of the error. Since I do not yet own a capture card, and I don't know of any way to screenshot the login screen, a crappy point-a-camera-at-the-screen-and-snap-a-photo method seemed to be the best choice, and I have not resized the image because that may make it difficult to read. The photo really doesn't reveal much that I haven't already mentioned, but its there for posterity.

VSLwmN1.jpg

-Train

My setup: Intel i7 4790k, ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX Motherboard, Team Elite Plus 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer, NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower, Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleave Bearing CPU Cooler, NZXT Aperture M Card Reader

Start your PC in safe mode and get back to me.

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k  @ 4.5Ghz 
    • Memory: 32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
    • Graphics: ASUS GTX 980 Ti 
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97
    • Storage: 3x 1TB Samsung SSDs (Not in RAID) & 1TB WD Black HDD
    • Case: H440 Designed By Razer

Yep, it looks like there are some regedits that can fix the issue, but you may still wind up needing to create yourself a new local user and transfer the data over. 

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/8070/how-to-fix-a-windows-vista-or-7-corrupt-user-profile-the-user-profile-service-failed

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215? 

Greetings!

VSLwmN1.jpg

-Train

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

@Trainguyrom Follow your own topic when you ask for help.

I just realized he did not... LOL :P

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

Oops. I forgot to follow. I left the page open in the background while I played some OpenTTD, so at least I didn't have to do any searching to find it. I didn't expect near-instant replies, so I treated this like other forums where I leave a comment and check back a little while later.

Anyway, I'm going to reboot and try some of the provided links.

My setup: Intel i7 4790k, ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX Motherboard, Team Elite Plus 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer, NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower, Corsair 600W 80+ Bronze ATX PSU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleave Bearing CPU Cooler, NZXT Aperture M Card Reader