How many inputs does a switch take?

Brainiac777
Go to solution Solved by Judahnator,

Unless both your router and switch supports teaming, or you plan on setting up a separate VLAN for each input, you should only need a single input.

Besides, the link to the outside world will likely be less than the link to the switch anyways. So when you get to the point where you are being bottle-necked, you have already saturated your internet uplink.

Hey all, I'm planning to roll out ethernet throughout the entire house and I've just learned about network switches, patch panels, etc. and I don't want to bottleneck any of the devices. I'm thinking of having the four outputs from my router (RT-AC66U) go into the switch and from there, every device gets connected to the switch. Is this possible or do switches only accept one input?

My 24port switch gots 2 inputs the 2nd being a fail over.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

Unless both your router and switch supports teaming, or you plan on setting up a separate VLAN for each input, you should only need a single input.

Besides, the link to the outside world will likely be less than the link to the switch anyways. So when you get to the point where you are being bottle-necked, you have already saturated your internet uplink.

~Judah

The switch will only use one as an input from the router... But that being said, unless you are hitting all the different computers with file transfers at the same time, there will never be an issue. But technically, yes, if you are trying to transfer files all over the place all at the same time, you will not get full gigabit as there will only be one line from the switch to the router. Should this be a concern for a home network, probably not.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Only one is needed from the router, Your internet cant be faster than 1 gigabit anyways.

Just make sure that if you get a 24 port of whatever switch, that is has the same amount in backplan, in this case 24gigabit. You want this incase you're doing big file transfers between many computers at the same time, having a 24gigabit backplan on a 24 port switch basically means every port always have 1gigabit.

The switch will only use one as an input from the router... But that being said, unless you are hitting all the different computers with file transfers at the same time, there will never be an issue. But technically, yes, if you are trying to transfer files all over the place all at the same time, you will not get full gigabit as there will only be one line from the switch to the router. Should this be a concern for a home network, probably not.

In file transfers you dont go via the router, so he wont be bottlenecked by a single cable from the router to the switch.

Do you think big companies have routers with like 128 ports that then go into a 256 port switch? No, only one is needed, LAN transfers are handled on the LAN, by the switch.

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

Only one is needed from the router, Your internet cant be faster than 1 gigabit anyways.

Just make sure that if you get a 24 port of whatever switch, that is has the same amount in backplan, in this case 24gigabit. You want this incase you're doing big file transfers between many computers at the same time, having a 24gigabit backplan on a 24 port switch basically means every port always have 1gigabit.

In file transfers you dont go via the router, so he wont be bottlenecked by a single cable from the router to the switch.

Do you think big companies have routers with like 128 ports that then go into a 256 port switch? No, only one is needed, LAN transfers are handled on the LAN, by the switch.

What do you mean by backplan?

its a bit hard to explain, but basically its the bandwidth of the switch, within the switch. You want it to be as high as the amount of ports to make sure every port can communicate with the full gigabit speed.

Mobo MSI X370 Carbon CPU Ryzen 7 1700 3.8GHz RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3000MHz GPU ASUS GTX 1070 Strix Case NZXT S340 Storage Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 - Seagate 1TB  PSU EVGA 750W Cooling NZXT Kraken X52 OS WIndows 10 Pro

Keyboard Arachnid Recore - Cherry MX Red Mouse Corsair M45  !!--GTA V--!!  

Your internet cant be faster than 1 gigabit anyways.

Wut. Comcast offers 2Gbps where I live.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

The backplain of a switch is the total bandwidth the switch has available to move the packets between its own interfaces. It is very common for a switch have far less backplain bandwidth available than the total of its interfaces (an 8port gigabit switch not have 8gbps backplain, as an example). This usually isn't much of an issue tho, unless you plan on using all the available bandwidth at all times of the day. It is generally only a concern for enterprise and large business.