DIY Laptop stand

sirtoby

Hello people, 

I'm getting rid of my main PC, so this means my laptop will sit on my table from now on. It's only a 13" Macbook Pro Retina, but it takes up unnecessary space on my desk, so I need a vertical laptop stand. I had a look at the available stands I liked this one very much. It's 80€ though, and that for a Laptop stand, made out of wood is ridiculous. I'm going to roughly stick to the overall form, but I cant make it out of one piece of wood as I'm lacking the tools and the patience to do so. Instead, I'll be making it out of 4 pieces: Two arches with two spacers in between on which the laptop will sit on. By now, I've made a rough model and made a prototype out of laminated spruce. When I'm happy with the design, I'll make the stand out of beechwood.

The tools I'm using are: Power drill, a jigsaw that I mounted upside down in my workbench, a disk sander, various hand tools.

Software-wise, I'm using LibreCAD for the cutting templates and SketchUp for the 3D model

Have some pictures:

OiRIdIJh.jpg

yjnJMrHh.jpg

fbHstJxh.jpg

7JACdhSh.jpg

The construction is surprisingly stable. I'll make the Arches wider so they're more rigid. 

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Great idea and nice work. You might think about getting some rubber or at least thick paper between the wood and the notebook to prevent unencessary scratches.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Great idea and nice work. You might think about getting some rubber or at least thick paper between the wood and the notebook to prevent unencessary scratches.

I thought about that, but the spruce is not hard enough to cause any damage, might be a different story with the beech.

Looks nice, but promise to post pics of the benchwood version when it's done.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Looks nice, but promise to post pics of the benchwood version when it's done.

I'll post some pics when I'm finished. I'm working right now on the modified prototype. If that turns out well, I'll make the Beech version this evening

UPDATE #1

Just finished Prototype 2 and I'm happy with the design. I'll make it out of Beech tomorrow, I have to give the jigsaw some time to rest. It doesn't seem to like it being mounted upside down, and I've gotten too much saw dust into my face. If anybody wants me to upload the templates, just let me know. 

Pics:

6cnmvr3h.jpg

aA0U5Dsh.jpg

Find a piece of suede cloth (or any used t-shirts) and wrap that stand using fabric glue. Should give it a nice grip of the laptop and also prevents from any scratching.

Quick update: Project is still going, but it was way too hot in the last few days. Having a jigsaw and a vacuum running in a small room would be stupid at this temperatures. I'll make the final version when it isn't so hot anymore.