Networking help (servers and switches and stuff)

martward

Hi guys,

I am working on transferring data from one server to another at my dad's company and found that the speeds are incredibly low. Also I am short one connection so one computer can't use internet now -.-".

So I was planning to buy a network switch so that I can attach more devices to the network and hopefully get better speeds. The setup is like this:

There is a modem downstairs, from which an ethernet (cat 5e) cable goes upstairs which connects the modem to an accesspoint. This accespoint has a built in switch (100Mb/s) and WiFi (oh and it's a total piece of shit which I will replace somewhere in the future). The two servers and a computer are connected to this built in switch. 

I wanted to buy a switch which would then be connected to the modem, and to which I would connect the accespoint, the two servers and a computer.

My question is, will this make the connection any better at all? Do you have any other suggestions for me to speed things up a bit? 

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

I believe you'll be limited to the speed capabilities of the NIC cards on the machines and the cables you're using in conjunction with the switch involved.  

I believe you'll be limited to the speed capabilities of the NIC cards on the machines and the cables you're using in conjunction with the switch involved.  

Yeah most have a 100 mbit nic. I am not looking to get like 500 MB/s speeds, but right now it's max 2 MB/s :(

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B