Can't fit 2nd GPU too enable SLI, Asus ROG Maximus VII GENE, mATX

Go to solution Solved by Kathadrix,

take the top card out and put only one card in the bottom slot, unless you are doing something stupidly wrong, there is something in the slot or it is actually broken there is no reason for why it should not fit. Also check in the BIOS to see if there are any settings relating to that second PICe slot.

The second one is an x8 slot, they just use an x16-size plastic socket so people won't skip over the board thinking their graphics card won't be compatible. This is common practice, it is almost impossible to find a motherboard where every x16 slot is actually a fully-wired x16 slot.

I don't see how it could interfere with GPU mounting though.

Check here

Also make sure you quote people so we get notifications when you reply.

Yes of course i've opened the lash to press the GPU into it, The GamingBarrel,

and LiamApex, since i've spent so much money on the computer, my phone is not really capable of taking such close range photos with the lightning in my room atm, but it's like attached in the left hand side and pulls more and more out the more you go the the right side of the of the slot

If you guys see anyone with a VII Gene motherboard running SLI, please could you direct him / het to this topic, just feels like i've wasted 380€ on nothing

the second one is a 8x slot which is fine but i don't necessarily get what you mean. does it literally not fit could you upload a photo ?

Have you aacttually opened the latch?

Okay, So i had a friend over to see if there was anything suspiciuss bout the slot or anything, while i was at the toilet he tweaked the card in correctly, apparently it just required some more patience and more force lol, but still the SLI option in the Nvidia controllpanel doesn't show , even tho i can see both cards clearly in BIOS. I read about it, and figured that i have to switch SLI on in the BIOS, or is this automatic on these newer boards? Because i seem to not find the SLI option in BIOS, or is there any other solutions i haven't considerd? Like unistalling drivers and reinstall them or anything else software related?

Thanks for all the help this far guys! , never been on this forum before but it's definatly a faster response time here then my previous forum heh :)

EDIT: Found some shiet in BIOS and the SLI settings popped upp, and it's now all done and workign with SLI enabled, my bad

Hey, so, the second pcie lane looks abit diffrent, half of the pcie lane is covered with normal pins and such while the other half is blank, apparently.

Due to the blank space the gpu's pins can't be pushed down into the pcie lane correctly, so only half of the pins is "allmost" correctly in place.

And why i say "allmost" , is because it can't detect the second gpu in any software i've checked, GPU-Z , Nvidia controlepanels, Nvidia experience, HWmonitor, anything, you name it, it isn't there. so i came to conclusion that the pins doesn't attach correctly to the slot.

I find this wierd since i've seen loads of builds with the Maximus VII gene running SLI, so i thought it had to be a manufacturing problem, so i checked some photos of the board if i could spot any differense, but there were not any differense at all, i can even spot the blank space in the pcie slot on most of the photos, let me get you an example of my struggle, http://prntscr.com/80a3f3 and http://prntscr.com/80a3t2 , and as you see on the right side of the pcie slot there is a blank space without any pins , so i wonder why this should be a problem to me, or why they even then added that blank space to the pcie slot if it didn't really have any purpose at all?

Anyways i've tried to force the gpu in place (It's 2 Asus Gtx 970's btw, which shouldn't either make any differense since the connection is the same on all 16x pcie gpu's) but if i push any more than this im sure i will break the pins on either the gpu or mobo.

Please Help

the second one is a 8x slot which is fine but i don't necessarily get what you mean. does it literally not fit could you upload a photo ?

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

and LiamApex, since i've spent so much money on the computer, my phone is not really capable of taking such close range photos with the lightning in my room atm, but it's like attached in the left hand side and pulls more and more out the more you go the the right side of the of the slot

If you guys see anyone with a VII Gene motherboard running SLI, please could you direct him / het to this topic, just feels like i've wasted 380€ on nothing

The second one is an x8 slot, they just use an x16-size plastic socket so people won't skip over the board thinking their graphics card won't be compatible. This is common practice, it is almost impossible to find a motherboard where every x16 slot is actually a fully-wired x16 slot.

take the top card out and put only one card in the bottom slot, unless you are doing something stupidly wrong, there is something in the slot or it is actually broken there is no reason for why it should not fit. Also check in the BIOS to see if there are any settings relating to that second PICe slot.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Check here

Also make sure you quote people so we get notifications when you reply.

Have you aacttually opened the latch?

Okay, So i had a friend over to see if there was anything suspiciuss bout the slot or anything, while i was at the toilet he tweaked the card in correctly, apparently it just required some more patience and more force lol, but still the SLI option in the Nvidia controllpanel doesn't show , even tho i can see both cards clearly in BIOS. I read about it, and figured that i have to switch SLI on in the BIOS, or is this automatic on these newer boards? Because i seem to not find the SLI option in BIOS, or is there any other solutions i haven't considerd? Like unistalling drivers and reinstall them or anything else software related?

Thanks for all the help this far guys! , never been on this forum before but it's definatly a faster response time here then my previous forum heh :)

EDIT: Found some shiet in BIOS and the SLI settings popped upp, and it's now all done and workign with SLI enabled, my bad

And also, i did find the card now on HWmonitor if that is of any help, which i didn't do last time

Sorry if that insulted you, better to treat everyone like an idiot so people can realise if they made a mistake [emoji14]

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Haha, i was the one who should've said sorry for the "rude" comment lol, i was abit annoyed when it didn't want to cooperate, now i just have the clicking noise from one of the fans in the new gpu, i guess i have to pull it out and check if it's the fan cable bouncing into the fan, here's a vid bout a guy with the same sound, haven't noticed it yet untill now when i started benchmarking with the SLI setup working,