Sapphire R9 390X keeps on crashing (Driver recovered by windows)

Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,

Why !!!! , Does it mean that AMD is selling a none optimized product to the crowd ?!

Or maybe there is something else which is not related to the GPU causing this !!!???

Did it crash before you had AB installed? 

After playing around with this card for about 10 days , It keeps crashing, I've tried the following and it keeps freezing for few seconds and then pop-up the "display stopped responding and recovered" notification by windows:

DISCLAIMER 1 : I had nvidia gtx 760 before and it worked fine.

DISCLAIMER 2 : It crashed only during regular work or surfing the web (Chrome and not Firefox) , it also occurred once in GTA V and CoD AW dosan't work at all as it always crashed. (All other games work

perfectly fine such as ARMA3 / BF4 / FIFA 15 / Shadow Of Mordor)

1) I've tried the previous driver 15.7 on windows 7 64bit pro and it doesn't work. (CoD AW worked on win 7 just fine, it even capped by the game limitation of 91 FPS)

2) I've upgraded to the new driver on windows 7 (15.7.1) and the issue remains. (CoD AW worked on win 7 just fine)

3) I've upgraded to windows 10 64bit Pro (not clean install), and yet the issue remains and even worse. (CoD AW stopped working, crashing right upon login (few seconds and BAMMMM) )

4) Reimage the whole PC (formatted it / clean installation of win 10), and the issue remains.

It happens intermittently , I can't point for something specific but CoD AW which will cause an immediate crash.

Please help, I'm tired already !!!

My specs (cooler master cm storm scout 2 with 5 fans):

i7-4790K

Gigabyte Z87-HD3

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1600 Mhz

Kingston SSD 120GB

WD Black 3TB

WD Green 2TB

Sapphire R9 390X 8GB TRI-X

Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD

PLEASE NOTE : Nothing overclocked ever, all stock from day 1. I am not an overclock savvy/fan

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

4) Reimage the whole PC (formatted it / clean installation of win 10), and the issue remains.

Yes, I'm quoting the last thing I've done, completely re-imaged the system

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

Is AB installed? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Is AB installed? 

what is AB ?

what is AB ?

Msi Afterburner 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Msi Afterburner 

oh, you reminded me that.

well, I've been working since 30th of July on windows 10 without AB, but yesterday I wanted to know the CPU and GPU temps while running on IDLE and LOAD so I did install AB.

I've also wanted to know the FPS of AW

And here is some interesting facts :

On win7, when a crash occurred , the GPU load stuck on 100%

BUT now on win 10 , it does not remain on 100% as right after crashing it will stabilize again.

CoD AW FPS are between 6-48 (20 most of the time), while is was stable on 91 FPS back in windows 7

Max temp of GPU was 71 Celsius

And CPU max temp was 74 Celsius

P.S , Tried with and without AMD FRTC (Frame Rate Target Control) , with FRTC the max temp of the GPU was 65 in almost all games (Some games was lower than that)

I'm thinking of driver issues, but I don't hear the same from others (crashes during browsing)

My buddy had this problem, he had to underclock his gpu memory.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

My buddy had this problem, he had to underclock his gpu memory.

Why !!!! , Does it mean that AMD is selling a none optimized product to the crowd ?!

Or maybe there is something else which is not related to the GPU causing this !!!???

mmm, not sure !!!

I'll uninstall and check this up.

I believe he tried to overclock his memory and got this crashing driver error, when he put it back to stock it solved it. In your case, you might have to go under stock (I agree this would be pretty terrible)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

If it's still unstable on a clean Win10 install with latest drivers, and your old 780 ran (still runs?) fine then I'm really thinking it's some sort of hardware fault. Might it be some weird incompatibility with your Gigabyte MB? Maybe try updating its BIOS just to see if that might help if you haven't for a while - an old F6 BIOS update they released a while back apparently improves "PCIE-E compatibility". Barring that, the video card is probably faulty. Could you try the card in another computer?

2 days for now, 0 crashes xD

I'll give it a couple of days and hope that it will remain the same

BTW, what could be wrong with AB !!! is there an alternative to show GPU data in games (such as temps/FPS/Usage etc.) ?

BTW, what could be wrong with AB !!! is there an alternative to show GPU data in games (such as temps/FPS/Usage etc.) ?

Well sometimes an installation of AB can screw up. I suggest just reinstalling it or reverting to a previous stable version ;)  

It happened to me once.

• 3 weeks later...

I am facing crushed while i playing gta 5 and watch dogs. how you fixed that ??????

I am facing crushed while i playing gta 5 and watch dogs. how you fixed that ??????

1) First don't run anything which "rides" over the DirectX while playing, such as fraps/AB and any other FPS counters/recording softwares.

2) In case you have any additional audio drivers other than the GPU/Mobo , uninstall/disable it. (You better try and close all background processes related to audio(this step related to Windows 10 only))

3) Make sure that your drivers are the latest. (Simply download you latest GPU driver and install them)

If it doesn't help, then we must have more details about your system, I suggest to open a new thread of your own, and the people here are great and will be more than happy to assist  :)

1) First don't run anything which "rides" over the DirectX while playing, such as fraps/AB and any other FPS counters/recording softwares.

2) In case you have any additional audio drivers other than the GPU/Mobo , uninstall/disable it. (You better try and close all background processes related to audio(this step related to Windows 10 only))

3) Make sure that your drivers are the latest. (Simply download you latest GPU driver and install them)

If it doesn't help, then we must have more details about your system, I suggest to open a new thread of your own, and the people here are great and will be more than happy to assist  :)

ASRock Intel Z97 Extreme6

Intel Core i7  4790K

Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Tri-X

Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Bus RAM

Transcend 256 gb ssd

WD Blue 1 tb hdd

CM Storm Scout 2 mid Tower case

COOLER MASTER V 750W 80 PLUS GOLD PSU

Cooler master Hyper 212X

Asus VX229H 21.5 Inch IPS

here is my system

i tried win 7 sp 1 64 bit crashes while playing gta v