linus new hq isp

techguru

Meanwhile, most offices have 3Mb down and 0.1Mb up. :P

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

What's different about this than something like Google Fiber? (Granted, Canada doesn't have it yet, as far as I know.) What makes it so expensive? Also, LMG appears to have 200/200, so why does it only go 100 -> 500 on their site?

healthy 800% premium for business class internet.

In lithuania, for 106 eur you get 4x 100/100 lines with 4 different static ip's, 24 email boxes, a discount on hosting services and 24/7 support.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

2.5K FOR A GIGABIT!?!

EVERY MONTH!?!?

O_O

No, it's for a year. that is usually spread with quarterly payments.

What's different about this than something like Google Fiber? (Granted, Canada doesn't have it yet, as far as I know.) What makes it so expensive? Also, LMG appears to have 200/200, so why does it only go 100 -> 500 on their site?

This is a dedicated line with 99.999% uptime in my opinion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability#Percentage_calculation

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

This is a dedicated line with 99.999% uptime in my opinion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_availability#Percentage_calculation

Makes sense....

BRB Getting fiber

I thought you were going to say: "Its an American company, where they can get by with screwing people over." lol 

We can add that in too.

The website says per month, it also mentions 5 year contracts...

Makes sense....

BRB Getting fiber

We can add that in too.

Makes sense....

BRB Getting fiber

We can add that in too.

Consumer grade internet connection has more than 10 hours downtime per year. Imagine that happening for a day in a business... Yea.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

2.5K FOR A GIGABIT!?!

EVERY MONTH!?!?

O_O

If you sign up for a 5 year contract...

No, the listing from "from / per month." That means the rates start at the displayed amount, and the payment is per month. Yes, that is $25,400 per year for their gigabit fiber connection. I don't know how good their customer service is, or how accurate their 99% uptime is, but their pricing is ludicrous. 

I'm sure there's something wrong here, their website has inconsistencies all over it. If you tab over to the 'business internet' page, you get a bunch of confusing wording and such there too.

To anyone looking at these prices and thinking they're redonkulous: keep in mind the connection comes with a 99.99% uptime SLA (service level agreement) and a speed guarantee. This means the connection can never go below a certain threshold (or completely down) for longer than 52 minutes in an entire year. It's this service level that you pay for.

It's business class internet, you can usually call them and a quote whatever speed you desire/require.

I'm pretty sure that would be a month. Otherwise everyone would be paying $200 a month for 1gb/1gb fiber.

I'm pretty sure that would be a month. Otherwise everyone would be paying $200 a month for 1gb/1gb fiber.

Thant is cheap then. My work connection is 50/50 and that's $10K for 3 years. I suggested to go away from this since it's fucking stupidly expensive and it actually failed for 4 hours last year.

To anyone looking at these prices and thinking they're redonkulous: keep in mind the connection comes with a 99.99% uptime SLA (service level agreement) and a speed guarantee. This means the connection can never go below a certain threshold (or completely down) for longer than 52 minutes in an entire year. It's this service level that you pay for.

It's business class internet, you can usually call them and a quote whatever speed you desire/require.

Ah, so they're just showing pricing relevant to their typical packages. Potentially, you could ask for any speed you desire, up to a certain limit. Would they charge based on a mathematical formula different than what they advertise if you do this? E.G: Would it cost double their 100/100 plan for 200/200? Or is it something like 33% more?

Thant is cheap then. My work connection is 50/50 and that's $10K for 3 years. I suggested to go away from this since it's fucking stupidly expensive and it actually failed for 4 hours last year.

Yeah I wouldn't pay that much for a business connection unless I absolutely needed it.

If memory servers me right over in the UK you actually get decent prices for consumer internet? While not a business connection I pay $120AUD per month for 100/1 and it has gone down for probably 2 or 3 days total this year.

Ah, so they're just showing pricing relevant to their typical packages. Potentially, you could ask for any speed you desire, up to a certain limit. Would they charge based on a mathematical formula different than what they advertise if you do this? E.G: Would it cost double their 100/100 plan for 200/200? Or is it something like 33% more?

Looking at the pricing suggestions on their website, it's not linear. This makes sense, as there is a base service cost. The cost of the extra bandwidth is not as much as that.

Yeah I wouldn't pay that much for a business connection unless I absolutely needed it.

If memory servers me right over in the UK you actually get decent prices for consumer internet? While not a business connection I pay $120AUD per month for 100/1 and it has gone down for probably 2 or 3 days total this year.

I'm paying £32 or about 70 AUD for 100/10 however it has been down a few times during the past month.

For those that don't know, business internet cost a lot more, then residential.
You need business internet in your business because:

• The modem provided is able to work under intense load for long periods of time, and not casually like a home one. Doing what Linus is doing, or have a great number of users in a corporation, that little modem you have at home, its processor will not be able to meet demand, and you'll have slower internet.
  • Usually other equipment is provided like business class router as well.
  • Static IP. A very important requirement for most businesses, especially if you want to host a website or any server you want to connect to from the web.
  • No throttling.
  • No shared connection line with your neighbors.
  • Unlimited bandwidth per month.
  • Fast/Faster upload speed is sometimes an option.
  • Antispam filter, and hardware firewall is sometimes provided.
  • And the genuine right to host something (have a server). Normally, residential ISP doesn't allow you to do this based on their policy (for personal usage is fine). The main reason for this is that the connection line is actually shared with the neighborhood.