Need help choosing some components

rohver

So I'm planning to update my system in about two months from now (started saving for it already). I would appreciate some tips and advice

Usage : Gaming (preferably at max/ultra settings), Music, Movies, Photoshop and Illustrator, basic video editing

Overclocking : no, don't plan to

Theme : Red / Black

Current : 

CPU : Intel Core i5-3550 - stock cooler :(
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 @1866 mhz
GPU : Asus R9 280X , 3gb
Case : NZXT H440
Storage : Sandisk Ultra 256 GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB + Segate 1TB HDD 
PSU : Corsair CS 650M
Display(s) : Samsung S22B370, 1080p
Cooling : 6X 120 mm (Three intake front, two exhaust on top, one exhaust at back)

Parts to be upgraded 

CPU : Intel Core i5-4590 
CPU Cooler : Deepcool Captain 120 
Motherboard : MSI H97 
GPU : Asus R9 280X , 3gb (need suggestions)
Display(s) : Something with 2160x1080 or a 1440p

Since I don't plan to overclock, the Deepcool cooler is mainly for aesthetics. It's cheap, performs allright and looks damn cool. Mobo, I don't see a better alternative that fits a red/black theme without being too expensive. 

So here is the main issue. I can't seem to find a good 1440p display that does not break my budget, which is about Rs. 30,000/- (roughly USD 450). Since I also design, I can use the extra width offered by a 2160x1080 display. Again, I don't know much about displays so I would like to have some recommendations, with the same budget. 

Depending on the display recommendations, I might have to upgrade my GPU if I want to play games like Witcher 3 maxed out (don't care about hairworks setting). If my 280X can handle it, let me know. 

p.s. its an old image, the speakers are different. 

post-82977-0-08503300-1438583717.jpg

Hello.

I am no monitor expert, so i can not help you with that.

The cpu cooler you want is pretty, but it comes with a price. It is not that cheap

Also you could fit another R9 280x in your build, if you are on a tight budget, or you could save some more

for a better gpu, like a 380 4gb or a 390. Also the i5 4460 is cheaper than the 4590 and pretty much the same at

performance. So here are some parts you can upgrade, but the best solution would be getting some used parts.

Finally, a good alternative would be getting a second hand 3570k or 3770k and overclock it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 120 91.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $326.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-05 06:27 EDT-0400

The site has changed....

Hi jimakos, the deepcool captain is a little expensive but I am willing to scrifice a bit for aesthetics. Besides, it is not too expensive. Flipkart is actually selling cheaper than 80 USD ( link )

As for the CPU, some people suggested I wait for Skylake as I won't be getting too big of a performance increase over my current CPU. Note, I don't overclock and never will. Should I wait for Skylake or upgrade now? My concern is all new lineups are super expensive at launch....

Will an R9 380 hold up in 1440p? I might go for the 390 instead if it doesn't. Also, I don't know much about monitors so I still need help with that. :( 

@rohver

Well, the 380 doesnt perform that well at 1440p, but a 390 is a very good choice for 1440p,

because of the 8gigs of vram it has. Skylake has been launched, but keep in mind only the cpu that overclock

are out to the market for now, so are the mobos. They are quite expensive for the time being. if you dont

plan to overclock you can either wait for the locked skylake cpu and mobos, or buy haswell cpu, that are already on the cheap

Also have in mind that skylake uses ddr4, that is more expensive that ddr3. The overall performance boost wont be higher than 10%,

in some cases even less

The site has changed....

I believe Skylake supports both DDR3 and DDR4 ? I will wait for the locked CPUs to show up meanwhile. 

I believe Skylake supports both DDR3 and DDR4 ? I will wait for the locked CPUs to show up meanwhile. 

if you want to learn how to overclock, i have a guide; link in my forum sig. it's not that hard. i also have a guide for overclocking graphics cards

BigDay

for a gaming monitor, you want a 1ms and 144 hertz if you can afford it. this one would be closest to your budget

Acer XG270HU

edit:

in terms of a gpu, a 380, 390, or 390x would be great. the hierarchy goes like this (from least powerful to most powerful):

390x

980 ti

BigDay

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 120 91.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card  ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $583.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-07 09:08 EDT-0400

BigDay