What's the actual way to get Windows 10?

orangecat

I heard something about you need to reserve a copy for the first few months and some iso's won't do clean install only upgrade. All of this is making it really difficult to upgrade, i'd liek to try it out before i buy it but if the only option is to buy it i guess i'll be sticking with 7 for a while longer.

EDIT: they have made installing a legitimate copy of Windows 10 way to difficult.

I heard something about you need to reserve a copy for the first few months and some iso's won't do clean install only upgrade. All of this is making it really difficult to upgrade, i'd liek to try it out before i buy it but if the only option is to buy it i guess i'll be sticking with 7 for a while longer.

You can download the official ISO from Microsoft using the Windows creation tool. -  https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

There will be an option to upgrade when using it.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

You can download the official ISO from Microsoft using the Windows creation tool. -  https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

nope. All you have to do is to get the installation tool here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Do I absolutely need the tool? Can i use ti to download an ISO then burn it myself? i dont want to upgrade my installation I'd rather a clean install.

Do I absolutely need the tool? Can i use ti to download an ISO then burn it myself? i dont want to upgrade my installation I'd rather a clean install.

yes theres an option to get iso instead if you run the tool

but you need to "upgrade" and then do clean install to keep the license

i don't know man, i don't do any forcing at all

i just reserve for 10, and update everything

did a restart

then i tried to update windows again and voila it says "windows 10 is here" instead of normal windows update

and so i did.

i use windows 8.1 and have the update to be downloaded automatically

took me only 15-20 minutes to download, and another 15 or so minutes to install

The tool will enable you to download the ISO, then follow the installation to put it on a USB.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

As others have pointed out, the tool MS provides can upgrade or create a bootable USB.

If you want to make sure you do own win10 for good you can pre order it on Amazon or buy it direct from windows.com

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You have to do an "upgrade" installation through the windows creation tool or wait. Then once you do your "upgrade" installation your copy of W10 binds to either your Microsoft account or your motherboard. THEN you can go ahead and use the same windows creation tool to create either an ISO file or create a USB boot disk and then you will be able to do a clean install of W10.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/