Question about i7 4790k

Anyone who currently owns or used to own an i7 4790k, I would like to know if you liked the cpu or if you would prefer another one. Did you do any video rendering, if so how did the cpu handle it?

in short its a decent chip

but if you are buy a new cpu you should probably wait for skylake/z170 and ddr4

I haven't owned one, but I would wait for the new chips to arrive. 

It wouldn't be that much better compared to an i5. 

It is a bit pricy for what you get though, considering for about $30-60 more, you can get a much more powerful intel 5820k with 6 cores and 12 threads, a huge leap ahead in terms of price-performance. If you are building a new rig, wait for skylake, and then reevaluate, either going skylake, or go 2011-3 if you are serious about editing. (A 2011-3 vs 4790k build would be similar, similar cpu cost, similar ram cost, and around $200 for a motherboard.)

I like good humans and good food

its a great chip but kinda overkill for gaming / gaming + streaming( gpu streams it anyways ), went back to a 4690k

if u dont overclock at all... 4790k is a better choice though due to stock 4ghz/turbo 4.4  and the i5 3.5/3.9ghz

(◑‿◐)

Anyone who currently owns or used to own an i7 4790k, I would like to know if you liked the cpu or if you would prefer another one. Did you do any video rendering, if so how did the cpu handle it?

I have a E3 1231 V3(lowerclock same everything) it renders 4k and about 1/6th realtime with max setting h264 in premiere. It struggles with 3ds max and maya rendering. If you don't video editing professionally go lga 2011/3 or dual lga 2011. If you doing anything non professionally(not for money) get the 4790k or wait for teh 6700k depending on how impacient you are and what your current system is. If your using a cpu newer than the 2600k you won't see much of a improvement, but it will be a big jump for a core 2 quad/ core i3.

I haven't owned one, but I would wait for the new chips to arrive. 

It wouldn't be that much better compared to an i5. 

When you doing rendering in something like 3ds max the extra 30% from hyperthreading is very nice.

When you doing rendering in something like 3ds max the extra 30% from hyperthreading is very nice.

Yeah, for programs that are mostly CPU, it will be a nicer. 

After Effects is the same. But for Premiere, I don't think so. 

4770k, but really the CPU is great for rendering. I mainly got mine for multitasking because the i5 I had lagged a bit with my normal usage. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I have a 4790k in my other rig, its a pretty nice chip. If your only gaming just get an i5, if your video rendering you would be better off going to the x99 platform with a 5820k.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

yeah their pretty good but that 5.2 Ghz OC on skylake do

Really? That was an ES chip... Cherry Picked, GOLDEN PICKED, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLATINUM PICKED, and also handed down by the silicon gods!!!!!! No one will be able to get anything close to a stable overclock @ 5.2GHZ..... It takes 1.335v to get 5 ghz and I don't have the cooling to achieve that. The 6700k isn't much better than the 4790k, and I don't believe it'll ever achieve anything close to 5.2ghz stable.

@Lays can back me up on this!!!

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Thanks all for your input I will be waiting a while for the skylake cpu but I may not buy. It will all be based upon the benchmarks and performance of those cpu.

Really? That was an ES chip... Cherry Picked, GOLDEN PICKED, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLATINUM PICKED, and also handed down by the silicon gods!!!!!! No one will be able to get anything close to a stable overclock @ 5.2GHZ..... It takes 1.335v to get 5 ghz and I don't have the cooling to achieve that. The 6700k isn't much better than the 4790k, and I don't believe it'll ever achieve anything close to 5.2ghz stable.

@Lays can back me up on this!!!

but what your saying is theres a chance lol (thats the response i get any time i explain lottery odds to my best friends mom)

but what your saying is theres a chance lol (thats the response i get any time i explain lottery odds to my best friends mom)

No there's really not a chance, engineering sample cpus are almost always golden so they can test the full capabilities of the chip before launching it.

Overclocking competitions almost never let people use engineering samples for this reason, because it's not fair.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No there's really not a chance, engineering sample cpus are almost always golden so they can test the full capabilities of the chip before launching it.

Overclocking competitions almost never let people use engineering samples for this reason, because it's not fair.

Well im just happy i can hit 4.5Ghz on my 5930K super easy with a single 120 liquid cooler.