Coil gun advancements

phillrulz

A little while back I posted a picture of my capacitor bank, 6 50v 56,000uF capacitors giving a total of 420J of stored energy. 15a903b8b829394e4e9b2b8ab5b20ec6.jpg

After a quick charge, shorting out the capacitors becomes great fun however demonstrating the power stored 3439c7b4ce23b5bfbcad61c2588b4e36.jpg

After getting comfortable with how it works I hooked up my thyristor ( a solid state switch ) I played around triggering it using my modified computer power supply. Defiantly great fun.

Next I proceeded to make a quick coil on a carbon fibre tube I'm using for the barrel, it was approximately two inches long and had 3 layers of 22awg magnet wire. The first test I charged half the bank to 27V and triggered it. Nothing really happened so I went and felt the coil. There was some warmth and my multimeter read 1V across the cap so it did fire.

I boosted the voltage to 45v and proceeded to charge half the bank, the next test worked... A bit too well I underestimated the power and as you will see.

http://youtu.be/TpMMnpeFK8E

The recoil from accelerating the drill bit Made the lighter carbon fibre barrel and coil fire reverse. Now a few tests later using some strong clamps to hold the barrel to my desk and I was ready to test distance.

In the video I use 49.3V and half the bank so 210J the 10mm drill bit was fired approximately 3 metres.

http://youtu.be/4HZg5SaTKfg

This is the prototype I have just finished designing the interlock mechanism using contactors and various switches ( SPDT,SPST,Momentary) which prevents the coil from being triggered whilst the charger is enabled. I have tried once to charge the capacitors with the psu straight... Let's say it put it into fail safe and the over current protection switched it off.. Whoops.

Anyone interested in how it works or wants a deeper explanation of what I've done feel free to ask below or PM me.

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Ay, runescape!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Ay, runescape!

#maxed

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Ew Razer Krakens

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+